Winter - Where Do They Go

SSR Team

The beauty IMO of splitting the State up in to geographical zones is shown with the disparity between the Eastern WA and Olympic Peninsula numbers, and of course the varying topography and terrain of the two areas, in one single state.

The Cascades Range is good to see virtually inter-twining and very similar in their numbers.

These two zones are just split in the SSR by a man made border, the I-90, and generally have the same kind of terrain and topography running down from Canada to the Columbia River with its high peaks and lowland hills.

Eastern WA numbers would always be high due to the topography and the Olympics, well the Olympics appear to be a law unto themselves being the topic of an abundance of conversation within Sasquatch data nerd conversations (sorry Tom) with how the numbers for various KPI's within this geographical zone can differ so greatly from others.

Thank fully however, on data sets such as what we're looking at here, they've held firm with all of their numbers.

And now for the heat map. Probably can't generate one for this dataset but thought I'd ask anyway. Just in case you didn't have anything more pressing to do ;) Oh yes, forgot. For the entire state LOL Just for the winter months of course. Even if just to go out and look for prints this kind of data does serve to narrow down things a bit even though the areas are still extensive. You guys are amazing with this stuff.

SSR Team

WA State Heat Map for winter yeah ?

I think there's one done already but if not, i'll do it quick no problem.

Get ready to look in to Kitsap County H, i know you're gonna get some big bad blobs there..;)

Thanks for those BobbyO. The interesting thing is that in each of those zones your looking at the lowest accessible elevations in each respective area. In the Olympics it would be sea-level. Then the river valleys in the Cascades. The same for eastern WA, but being east of the Cascades the valleys are higher. 

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Here H, utilize the zoom controls on the left - https://squatchermetrics.carto.com/viz/8c835d5c-dc0d-11e6-b4d2-0e8c56e2ffdb/public_map 

Edited by BobbyO
  • Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
23 hours ago, BobbyO said:

With all due respect, I have spent five years on this specific project, spend day in day out designing projects for data analysis for my work in soccer and have learnt and forgotton more about the geography of the PNW in the last five years than most would know in a lifetime.

But thank you anyway.

Your welcome.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

SSR Team
37 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Off the bat East of Walla Walla and North of Ashford look promising.

I know for sure that none of the reports in there around Ashford are actual visual reports.

That's not to discount anything, but just saying what it is.

Aberdeen area (Grays Harbor County) and the Kitsap County blobs have majority actual visual sighting reports within them.

The Olympic Peninsula has the highest % of winter reports throughout those geographical zones.

The Walla Walla ones are some of the Freeman stuff I believe and there hasn't been any action down there in some time.

HEY, that's not fair LOL. That heat maps say otherwise. How about narrowing down to class A's then? Class B reports do have the possible element of subjectivity unless one reads every one of them. Wow, do I ever hate to be a nag. And a fussy one at that ;) 

SSR Team

All reports are all reports...;)

Visuals tomorrow then, I'm done for the day.

Admin

The multiple County search is done, but not released yet. Wanna do a single update.

I'm working on the ability to specify your own GPS rectangle (upper left corner and lower right corner) to get stats. But not just one rectangle, virtually unlimited rectangles. The algorithm will conbine averything automatically.

So the resolution and landscape will really be up to the researcher.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BobbyO said:

BobbyO,

I like very much those heat maps!

Plus, I went into Squatchermetrics and found some maps on Arizona.

Who put those AZ maps together? You or are there other participants adding to the site?

The AZ maps were also very interesting (since, as you know, my sighting took place in northern AZ and is not part of BFRO database or any database).

Can you please remind me the background on Squathchermetrics?

1) what is it?

2) who is putting that together (the data and charts)?

3) who is using it?  Is it public or private?

I must have missed the memo on that great site when you sent it.:(