Winter - Where Do They Go

SSR Team

All me for AZ Explorer.

Nothing mega regarding Squatchermetrics, just a way that I felt I could attempt to relay data to people in a way they could relate to, via social media.

It's all SSR data of course in the main, unless otherwise stated.

I do some stuff for a couple of radio shows and social media groups/pages, it's just basically a tool to get people hopefully thinking about the benefits of what data can give to this research.

7 hours ago, gigantor said:

The multiple County search is done, but not released yet. Wanna do a single update.

I'm working on the ability to specify your own GPS rectangle (upper left corner and lower right corner) to get stats. But not just one rectangle, virtually unlimited rectangles. The algorithm will conbine averything automatically.

So the resolution and landscape will really be up to the researcher.

Fantastic G, can't wait.

Thank you.

SSR Team
7 hours ago, hiflier said:

This whole thing is turning into the Rolls Royce of data reference! Soooo cool.

It's the mother ship of databases H, it incorporates all.

1 minute ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Do you have any links for your radio shows? Thank you in advance.

Me ? I haven't been on any, but I do some numbers for Monster X sometimes as program content and reference and help with people's data presentations at conferences and summits etc.

If I went on a radio show in the US, nobody would understand a word I said..;)

SSR Team
18 hours ago, BobbyO said:

All reports are all reports...;)

Visuals tomorrow then, I'm done for the day.

WA Winter Visual Reports, only 26 reports - https://squatchermetrics.carto.com/viz/19e57cfc-dcb8-11e6-a5bd-0e3a376473ab/public_map 

Thank you, sir. I see the sightings weighted to the West and Southeast. Interesting. Human presence probably has a lot to do with that.

4 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Thank you, sir. I see the sightings weighted to the West and Southeast. Interesting. Human presence probably has a lot to do with that.

It's kinda where the forests are. There's desert country in between. ;)

SSR Team

A little maybe but they're not hugely over populated areas out on that Olympic Peninsula where a lot are, as in 38% being from the Olympic Peninsula a lot.

BTW & BobbyO, ^^ True that. Just didn't notice much in the way of Class A's in the Northern Cascades or around Mount ST. Helens or Adams. Along river basins though would make sense. First impressions only mind you. deeper study takes time.

SSR Team

Yeah not many in the North Cascades you're right but again, they are there, and same goes for the Skamania lowlands.

There's a real lack of people in the NC interior, especially in winter and those that are there are mainly driving through if they can.

Not a big data set however unfortunately, which only reinforces the question of this thread.

Edited by BobbyO

A lot of those areas you mentioned are impassable in the winter. North Cascades pass is closed and so is the area around Mt St helens. Don't understand why there aren't more in north central and NE Washington though, up around where Norseman lives. 

SSR Team
5 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

A lot of those areas you mentioned are impassable in the winter. North Cascades pass is closed and so is the area around Mt St helens. Don't understand why there aren't more in north central and NE Washington though, up around where Norseman lives. 

Cos they go west to the Olympics for the winter, with less cold ? ;) 

I definitely think so- as you know ;) Of course it would be much easier to track them annually if they went as a tight group of say 200 or more. It may be that many but scattered both in location and time. That's why you and everyone working on the SSR are so valuable.

(Now, where could I possibly get my little mitts on $30,000,000?) 

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

I like these two, this is just actual visual sighting report data.

These are from the Olympics and South Cascades and focus on elevations and 500ft jumps.

I like how the South Cascades are spread pretty well over each season too and how in the Olympics, it's just heavily centered around it's river valleys and lowlands, and of course the 101, at real low elevations.

OP Visual Elevations.jpg

SC Visual Elevations.jpg

Those graphs say a lot indeed. There is no doubt that Class B reports are important but class A data is ever more so. Later when you get some time maybe a refresher on a Class A/B map vs. a straight Class A map? You've probably already done that anyway. I continue to marvel at the SSR's ability in the right hands to generate this kind of thing. Visuals help so much.