A Field Handgun For Canadians

Airdale

I wanted a Mare's Leg but it is not legal in my state.  I do have a Rossi levergun in 45 Colt and love it. It is frighteningly accurate. I got it last year and put a ton of handloaded rounds through it. Is it considered a "cheap" gun? Maybe. I've been lucky so far as it has worked flawlessly so I have no complaints whatsoever. Trying to talk a buddy of mine to get one in  44 Mag as he has a S&W 629.

The guy in Montana makes some sweet guns.

If I were getting a 45-70, and money was no object, I'd get this breakdown 45-70:

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/ak-co-pilot/

We can all dream, can't we?

Edited by wiiawiwb

BFF Patron

I would be very leery of something held together with strong magnets.     If you have or use a compass it would mess things up big time.      I don't even like to have a strong magnetic field near my head.   Gives me a headache.     I must be  part pigeon or something.  That Copilot looks interesting and the Grizzly custom guns look very nice.     Are there any special state or federal laws about a gun that breaks down like that?   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

No, its good to go with the ATF.

And a short rifle with a buttstock is legal. But you have to register it with the ATF and pay a tax. Its an extra step, just like owning full auto.

I would be very leery of something held together with strong magnets.     If you have or use a compass it would mess things up big time.      I don't even like to have a strong magnetic field near my head.   Gives me a headache.     I must be  part pigeon or something.  That Copilot looks interesting and the Grizzly custom guns look very nice.     Are there any special state or federal laws about a gun that breaks down like that?

there are 2 different guns there

one uses a magnet and the other uses a 1/4 turn clip

Why not consider a Dominion Arms Grizzly? It's a Remington 870 clone with a 13.5" barrel (yes that is legal in Canada ladies and gentlemen). They also have a variation that is feed be detachable mags rather than the tube. They run for around $349 and up. Also have a double barrel outlaw with a 13.5" barrel for I think $299. Might be worth taking a look at. 

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byCategory/shotguns/

Thanks Mag. The reason I named the thread as I did is informational. As the Rossi is a relatively new development (not sure about the Henry, Chiappa, etc.), I thought there might be some of my friends to the north who were unaware of the Ranch Hand being designated a carbine and thus legal to carry in the woods even if not hunting. It is interesting to look at the differing firearms laws on opposite sides of the border and the varying things that are considered beyond the pale in one country yet garner only a yawn from authorities in the other. This in light of the fact that, other than a different flag over government buildings and a few slight differences in pronunciation and spelling, I likely have much more in common with the average Albertan living 150 miles to the north than with a typical New Yorker! 

The laws up here are goofy

if I buy a Rossi 92 and cut it down to a ranch hand, it becomes a prohibited weapon

No sense really

The OP is in the US and is looking for a pistol replacement

See I read the OP and given the title I took it as looking for a replacement or equivalent for a hand gun on either side of the border. Guess I read it and understood it wrong. Also given the title I looked at it from a Canadian stand point. Also similar firearms to the ones I mentioned in my post are available in various states in the USA. One example the Super Shorty, a 3 shot 12 gauge pump action pistol. My post was meant to help give idea's to my neighbours south of the boarder as well as my fellow Canadians. Don't know how many times I've been on a forum when talking about rifles or guns to own in Canada for the purpose of hunting or survival and the AK-47 and AR-15 are brought up. One of those you cannot own here the other is a restricted weapon here. No one says a word about it. 

I just checked out the Super Shorty. That's definitely a lot of firepower in a compact package; I shudder to contemplate what touching off a couple of rounds from it would do to my hands. As an NFA weapon, I wonder if the requirement of notifying BATFE in writing before transporting it across state lines applies to it as to suppressors, full auto, etc.?

The OP is in the US and is looking for a pistol replacement

See I read the OP and given the title I took it as looking for a replacement or equivalent for a hand gun on either side of the border. Guess I read it and understood it wrong. Also given the title I looked at it from a Canadian stand point. Also similar firearms to the ones I mentioned in my post are available in various states in the USA. One example the Super Shorty, a 3 shot 12 gauge pump action pistol. My post was meant to help give idea's to my neighbours south of the boarder as well as my fellow Canadians. Don't know how many times I've been on a forum when talking about rifles or guns to own in Canada for the purpose of hunting or survival and the AK-47 and AR-15 are brought up. One of those you cannot own here the other is a restricted weapon here. No one says a word about it.

no I think you were right

I thought you were recommending that shot to the OP and not just mentioning for the purpose of expanding the thread

Guest spurfoot

The Henry is beautiful but too damned heavy.   I was hot to get one but backed out after actually hefting one.