Why Has No Hunter Ever Shot A Bigfoot?

Guest Silver Fox

We all want our questions answered. When answers aren't forthcoming then it has to be someone's fault. Fill in the blank for whatever donkey you want to pin that tail on if it makes you happy. :huh:

Prag,

just a question here, I believe you actually saw one, face to face, on the trail, with your gun drawn.....I believe you were scared ****less at that time also.....but, and this is the tricky part.......what made you not fire? did you have a sense you would not be harmed if you did no harm? I havent been there with a big guy yet, and dont want to be, but what took over your instinct for self protection?.....what was the key that made you not pull that trigger?

I realize this might be traumatic thinking about this again, but if you could at least try , it would be helpful....thanks...

Driftinmark, sorry for delay in responding but a lot going on this weekend. One thing I will say up front, its not at all traumatic to think about it anymore. I've long ago learned to deal with it. In fact it was that incident that increased my comfort level, because the key goal for me has become more a need to understand 'why' I have had so many encounters. It became a process of 'owning my fear' as they say that I realized was necessary about 4 years ago. Before that however, deer and elk hunting for me was always accompanied by a fear of encountering one.

I had written a longer response to your question as well, but I've decided to actually integrate the reason for not shooting into one of my posts in a new blog I have been working on over the last few weeks. The opening post of my blog hasn't yet been published but I am hoping to do so within the week.

I wanted to answer your question however. In short, there were a few major influences driving me in those few minutes when I had to confront my worst fear and why I never fired a shot. Fear, then calling courage from within, the realization that my gun was too small, knowing a peaceful resolution was preferred, already viewing them as 'a people' because of my past encounters, prayer, his listening when I began talking to him, being responsible and realistic in my actions, knowing that I was not the one truly in control of the situation, 'hope' that he did not want to harm me, wanting to respect him and that he would in turn respect me, knowing I needed to keep calm and that once I fired a shot, all bets would be off. I imagine there were were a few other emotions I haven't recalled, and there is one key item I carried (and still do) about them that caused me not to shoot, but that isn't something I share openly either. Just know they are more complex then most people realize.

Ironically I've had a rifle with me during 3 of my 4 visual encounters. I truly get the sense that they know I mean them no harm. That doesn't mean I won't defend myself if absolutely needed either, because I do believe there are a few bad ones out there. I just hope to never meet one of them.

The peaceful route is always the better avenue to take and I can now say with confidence that talking calmly to them and keeping a cool head does work during the most unsettling encounter, even when he left me no out other then to approach him if I wanted to pass.

Edited by PragmaticTheorist

Driftinmark, sorry for delay in responding but a lot going on this weekend. One thing I will say up front, its not at all traumatic to think about it anymore. I've long ago learned to deal with it. In fact it was that incident that increased my comfort level, because the key goal for me has become more a need to understand 'why' I have had so many encounters. It became a process of 'owning my fear' as they say that I realized was necessary about 4 years ago. Before that however, deer and elk hunting for me was always accompanied by a fear of encountering one.

I had written a longer response to your question as well, but I've decided to actually integrate the reason for not shooting into one of my posts in a new blog I have been working on over the last few weeks. The opening post of my blog hasn't yet been published but I am hoping to do so within the week.

I wanted to answer your question however. In short, there were a few major influences driving me in those few minutes when I had to confront my worst fear and why I never fired a shot. Fear, then calling courage from within, the realization that my gun was too small, knowing a peaceful resolution was preferred, already viewing them as 'a people' because of my past encounters, prayer, his listening when I began talking to him, being responsible and realistic in my actions, knowing that I was not the one truly in control of the situation, 'hope' that he did not want to harm me, wanting to respect him and that he would in turn respect me, knowing I needed to keep calm and that once I fired a shot, all bets would be off. I imagine there were were a few other emotions I haven't recalled, and there is one key item I carried (and still do) about them that caused me not to shoot, but that isn't something I share openly either. Just know they are more complex then most people realize.

Ironically I've had a rifle with me during 3 of my 4 visual encounters. I truly get the sense that they know I mean them no harm. That doesn't mean I won't defend myself if absolutely needed either, because I do believe there are a few bad ones out there. I just hope to never meet one of them.

The peaceful route is always the better avenue to take and I can now say with confidence that talking calmly to them and keeping a cool head does work during the most unsettling encounter, even when he left me no out other then to approach him if I wanted to pass.

thank you for that great answer Prag........

for some reason I feel like he was ready to meet you, and prolly will again sometime......maybe it was his way of "testing" you for the future perhaps.........

I keep getting a vision of how that would be with one of these guys right in the middle or a trail I had to walk on, me with my gun eye level and trying to talk my way out, for me, a few extra rolls of toilet paper would for sure be in order, lol, if I didnt faint first........

thank you so much for your candid explanation........

Guest Ksan

I walked up on a Bigfoot while hunting 25 years ago and forgot I even had a gun, I was so shocked at what I was seeing. My grandpa and my father taught me to live off the land and to never, ever kill anything I was not going to eat. I hunt because I grew up doing it, it is a family tradition but I only kill what my family would eat. If I was to walk up onto another bigfoot today, there is no way at all that I would murder this creature, I don't plan on eating it and I don't want the fame or the money that you will get for shooting one. They can keep it and the creature can stay on his land.

• 8 months later...
BFF Patron

Will we finally be able to put the nail in this coffin (thread), based on upcoming books and dna analysis?