Bill

Munns Research Status

Registration Desk

Sounds like a good idea. Let's use this thread by Bill as strictly Q&A. Ask a question and Bill can respond when he's able.

PBeaton

All the best with things Bill !

Pat...

Squatchy McSquatch

As has been noted, my participation in the forum has been minimal for some time now. So I felt it might be appropriate to simply clarify where I stand and what my priorities are at this point in time.

I am still working on the PGF, but my goal is to organize the vast archive of material I have accumulated over the years into a research database which other researchers can access. It likely will take a year or more to accomplish, and there are costs I have not yet dealt with. If other business of mine allows me, I'll handle all those costs myself. But other options may be necessary.

I have been distracted by two major activities of late. One is that the character animation software i invented is the subject of a possible purchase by a major software company, but the "deal" has been going on for 6 months and it has taken more turns and switchbacks than an old mining road up a steep mountain. The negotiation is still "in play", but the outcome is uncertain. So this has been immensely distracting.

A second major distraction is a legal case where my lawyer utterly destroyed the case (and has been disbarred for his gross unprofessional conduct) and I have asked the California Court of Appeals to reinstate the lawsuit. Not having money to hire an appeals lawyer, I took on the appeal, self-represented, and drafted both appellant brief and reply brief myself, as well as making the oral argument presentation. So basically, for the last year, I've been learning about civil appeal law and process. The case is now submitted to the three judge court panel for vote and opinion. I must admit I found the appeal process to be far more "pure" and legally fascinating than the trial process, where procedural gamesmanship has proliferated to the point that pure law is secondary. So I enjoyed this opportunity to learn more about appeals court law and procedures.

As to the future of my PGF work, I am taking a step back to do a re-evaluation of the matter, the research, and such. I have no further interest in the petty bickering that I see in many discussions now. But the subject does continue to intrigue me, and while I do have a life beyond the PGF, I will continue to research the controversy.

I am still available to answer questions, but you might try a PM to me for an immediate answer. I will look in here from time to time and will still try to answer factual questions I find posed.

For example, regarding Drew's question in the now inactive "Munns Report" thread, Mrs. Patterson's archive film copy is only the Bluff Creek segment, starting at frame 3 and ending at frame 953. It has no horse and rider footage on it. The only relatively complete copy with both horse and rider material and the Bluff Creek material is one in John Green's archive of film copies and footage. That was the copy I scanned for a complete frame scan of all the horse and rider material, segments one to eight.

If I may ask, please resist the impulse to clutter this thread with petty bickering. Thank you.

Bill

Clutter aside do you have a height for Patty? Or a lens size for the PGF yet?

xspider1

Thx for the update, Bill.  There was some speculation that you had found PGf hoax evidence and decided not to talk about it.  (i.e., more PGf detractor bs.)   :resent: 

We also discussed the question of whether or not Hollywood could replicate the realism of the PGf subject, even to this day.  Would you say that any Bigfoot costume has ever come close, not to replicating Patty, but close to looking as real?  8 )

Edited by xspider1

SweatyYeti

Thanks for the update, Bill. I hope your legal matter works out, for you. :) 

I have a question regarding the 'filming speed' of the PGF....(as it was just recently talked about). From your analysis, does it appear that the filming speed of the 'horse and rider' segment of the 1st Reel was shot at the same speed as the Patty segment?

I think I have read that if that opening segment is played back at the faster speed of 24fps...the movement of the horses appears 'jerky', and unnatural.

I'm asking, because I'm wondering if it appears that the filming speed had changed between the 'horse and rider' segment and the Patty footage....or if it appears to have all been shot at the same speed. 

Bill

Squatchy:  As I haven't done any research work since the last time you asked that question, the answer remains the same. And the explanation is given in elaborate detail in my book, which I know you have, but apparently chose to ignore. .

xspider:  the speculation you describe is indulgence in wishful thinking. I continue to re-think the subject, and re-examine my own research, but still, nothing shakes my confidence that the PGF is an authentic film and the subject figure is biologically real, exactly as she appears.

as far as suits go, many suits done in the last 15 years, especially by Rick Baker's fine team of artists, are superbly real. But nothing I have seen from the 60's , even the 70's, or before, comes close to the realism of the PGF.

Sweati: I have not examined the filming speed in detail, as it requires some render technology (and file setup) that I have not had time for, and I do not want to project the 16mm films I have on projectors for fear of damage to them due to potential brittleness from age. Comparing the Bluff Creek segment to the horse and rider segments would likely be best done by setting up image sequences from each side by side and rendering one animation that has both frames in it to see how they compare if viewed at an identical frame rate. Could be done.

• Upvote 2

kitakaze

A second major distraction is a legal case where my lawyer utterly destroyed the case (and has been disbarred for his gross unprofessional conduct) and I have asked the California Court of Appeals to reinstate the lawsuit. Not having money to hire an appeals lawyer, I took on the appeal, self-represented, and drafted both appellant brief and reply brief myself, as well as making the oral argument presentation. So basically, for the last year, I've been learning about civil appeal law and process. The case is now submitted to the three judge court panel for vote and opinion. I must admit I found the appeal process to be far more "pure" and legally fascinating than the trial process, where procedural gamesmanship has proliferated to the point that pure law is secondary. So I enjoyed this opportunity to learn more about appeals court law and procedures.

Sorry to hear that and best of luck moving forward.

I hope all is well elsewhere.

Bill

Kit:

Thank you.

The case originally dealt with toxic mold in a home we rented, and my wife has suffered respiratory damage from the exposure, but the appeal is based entirely upon a procedure whereby a lawyer files a 473(B) mandatory relief motion when an inexcusable error on the lawyer's part causes the client's case to be dismissed. The lawyer did file the motion, but then continued to make more inexcusable errors, and the appeal is focused on how the trial court handled that motion, and failed to grant it even when Civil Code of Procedures states relief to the client (reinstating a dismissed case) is mandatory, when mandatory relief is sought (and different from discretionary relief for a lesser excusable error). So oddly the appeal is not so much about an appellant (plaintiff) in conflict with the respondent (defendant), as it is an appellant in conflict with his own attorney who has destroyed the case through gross unprofessional conduct.

The oral arguments were last December 8, and the case was to be decided and filed by March 2, but two weeks before, one of the three judges was withdrawn from the panel and a new judge had to be appointed. Both parties waived new oral arguments, and so once again the case is submitted for the new three judge panel to decide, with a decision due June 1. It's been a convoluted journey, but quite a fascinating inside look at how the appellate courts work. If the case is decided for me, then the original trial case gets sent back to Superior Court to be put back on calendar for a trial, which could drag on another two years.

One thing I did gain was a remarkably thorough education in how the law deals with lawyers who betray their clients. Hope I never have to use the knowledge again.

Bill

Bill

error above. The forum software does not seem to want to display 473(B) correctly. Maybe some emoticon code is playing with my text.  after CCP 473 the paragraph is  b as in "bravo"

Incorrigible1

Greetings and salutations, Bill. I hope you're doing well. Hope you know you've a thoroughly incorrigible person in your corner.

When not concerning yourself with the PGF, the suit, and all the bigfoot stuff. what do you find occupying your mind? Do you have any hobbies outside BF?

Still an open offer to put you up several nights should you ever deem to check out Omaha's Henry Doorly Gorilla Valley exhibit.

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/gorilla-valley/

norseman

click the box for turning off emoticons for your text box.

Well wishes Bill.

kitakaze

Kit:

Thank you.

The case originally dealt with toxic mold in a home we rented, and my wife has suffered respiratory damage from the exposure, but the appeal is based entirely upon a procedure whereby a lawyer files a 473( B) mandatory relief motion when an inexcusable error on the lawyer's part causes the client's case to be dismissed. The lawyer did file the motion, but then continued to make more inexcusable errors, and the appeal is focused on how the trial court handled that motion, and failed to grant it even when Civil Code of Procedures states relief to the client (reinstating a dismissed case) is mandatory, when mandatory relief is sought (and different from discretionary relief for a lesser excusable error). So oddly the appeal is not so much about an appellant (plaintiff) in conflict with the respondent (defendant), as it is an appellant in conflict with his own attorney who has destroyed the case through gross unprofessional conduct.

The oral arguments were last December 8, and the case was to be decided and filed by March 2, but two weeks before, one of the three judges was withdrawn from the panel and a new judge had to be appointed. Both parties waived new oral arguments, and so once again the case is submitted for the new three judge panel to decide, with a decision due June 1. It's been a convoluted journey, but quite a fascinating inside look at how the appellate courts work. If the case is decided for me, then the original trial case gets sent back to Superior Court to be put back on calendar for a trial, which could drag on another two years.

One thing I did gain was a remarkably thorough education in how the law deals with lawyers who betray their clients. Hope I never have to use the knowledge again.

Bill

I hope your wife is doing better than the last time we caught up. Toxic mold is no joke. That legal situation must have been and continue to be exhausting. No wonder you've been scarce.

Bill

incorrigible1:

Thank you. Yes, I have other interests aside from the PGF and the bigfoot controversy. They include technology, natural sciences, social sciences, and philosophical questions.

Bill

SweatyYeti

Sweati: I have not examined the filming speed in detail, as it requires some render technology (and file setup) that I have not had time for, and I do not want to project the 16mm films I have on projectors for fear of damage to them due to potential brittleness from age. Comparing the Bluff Creek segment to the horse and rider segments would likely be best done by setting up image sequences from each side by side and rendering one animation that has both frames in it to see how they compare if viewed at an identical frame rate. Could be done.

Thanks for your answer, Bill. :)