Rescue Me Balloon

norseman

Good to know

my one brother has a first generation SPOT which he found unreliable and refuses to sell for that reason

He much prefers the SPOT 2

I have thought about an In Reach or a SPOT 2/3 and an ERB in case of real emergency 

Good to know

my one brother has a first generation SPOT which he found unreliable and refuses to sell for that reason

He much prefers the SPOT 2

I have thought about an In Reach or a SPOT 2/3 and an ERB in case of real emergency 

I do like that the Inreach can be used as a satellite phone and can be used outside of cell phone coverage 

Interesting simple concept. Wouldn't mind having one. But it seems their crowd funding didn't reach its goal of $100,000. Which seems a little steep to me. I have to wonder if they were trying to recoup all their development costs and how far along they were in the development. The video doesn't show him using the unit he has for an example. Still I wouldn't mind having something like that for emergency purposes. Although 150' is on the short side to use in the forests of the PNW. 

Cool concept. It might just be the reason for someone to stay-put if lost, or if a vehicle breaks down, instead of wandering off.  I personally wouldn't like to see a bunch personal blimps floating around in the back country for people too dimwitted to find their way back to camp. I guess they (the balloons I mean) would make a nice target though!