Hollywood 50S/60S

norseman

Guest John

Here's a better gorilla figure in the making from 1949: ETA compared to Robot Monster.

c0a4b8b2.jpg

The artist was obviously well aware of the musculature seen here prior to fitting the custom made fur 'skin'.

Edited by John

Guest John

How do they compare to the PGF when moving?

Not sure about compare - they are very active. The 'chimps' are running full tilt on all fours and one does a back flip to evade injury from an attacker. I tried to include the still of the upright ape to show it at full flex.

Point of order - the above costume is as far as I can determine a modern reproduction action figure of 'Ro-Man' from the notorious no-budget 1953 Robot Monster. The original was gorilla man George Barrows in his own rental gorilla suit with an added helmet - the production values were that desperate.

So - the posted figure is strictly not from the 50's and was hardly Hollywood's best work in the original production rather some of it's worst.

But of course the worst work Hollywood could do with a "low budget", would still be light years ahead of three cowboys and a Philip Morris suit.

LIGHT YEARS.

Guest John

Sorry Norseman - what was the real intention of this thread - to invite posts of the usual dire images of old ape costumes contemporous with the PGF and thereby bolster it's perceived reality?

Sorry Norseman - what was the real intention of this thread - to invite posts of the usual dire images of old ape costumes contemporous with the PGF and thereby bolster it's perceived reality?

No......of course not.

I always recommend reviewing old classic monster movies on a bigfoot forum, it should be written somewhere.........ONLY on a bigfoot forum shall we review them.......... :blink:

*pass the popcorn please*

(seriously, I had no idea I was being so sneaky)

It stands to reason John, that if movies made by Hollywood, of the PGF era can sway me, then the PGF could possibly be a hoax.

Thus far I'm less that impressed, and when I consider WHO made the PGF? Considerably less so.

Guest tirademan

Here's some background Hollywood suit articles that might be of interest.

And a very old gorilla suit story from 1861. I wonder who made them back then?

I think gorilla suits make people feel comfortable with reality...sasquatch doesn't, hence that "solution."

tirademan

ps- I almost forgot the "Gorilla of Charles Darwin fame" suits from the 1800s...look a little chunky.

post-325-041657200 1306184106_thumb.gif

post-325-040172200 1306184119_thumb.gif

post-325-057884700 1306184224_thumb.gif

post-325-016063300 1306184480_thumb.jpg

Edited by tirademan

Guest John

Bill - it's the original Tarzan the Apeman. Omegawolf posted some stills of the 'upright ape' a few months ago. I've been looking for info about the apes in this film for years - even tried Bob Burns but he didn't reply. The chimps are great in my opinion.

Excellent!

From 1932:

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-20h02m02s226.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-20h11m27s236.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-10h13m01s252.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-08-19-10h11m46s56.jpg

These are brilliant, thanks for posting them. I think it more than proves that there were very realistic costumes made a long time before 1967.

Watching them in action is even more amazing and I highly recommend doing so.

post-212-032461900 1306242446_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this is from the original Tarzan, but I've always found it relevant to the discussion: realistic musculature under costume in the 1930s.

Edited by Saskeptic

Guest John

Yes that's the same 'upright' ape from my stills - Tarzan the Ape Man. That was the original picture I saw on a website that got me searching.

Minor correction by the way - the chimps are from Tarzan and His Mate (1934). I did those captures last summer, and a member here who originally saw them has a better memory than I clearly do :lol:.

Edited by John

Not sure if this is from the original Tarzan, but I've always found it relevant to the discussion: realistic musculature under costume in the 1930s.

This blew me away as well. It seems as though all of the talent behind these early films fell to the wayside when the 50's and 60's sci-fi films were produced. I think the studios were so intent on cranking out the films in the 50's/60's for making a fast buck rather that they failed in making a good product. Though I think making a good product wasn't on their minds either lol.

Because of all these crappy costumes, I can see why some people are dubious of the subject in the PGF being faked. However, when you take a trip back a few years, you will see how a little extra time spent on a costume made a very believable end product. I am quite sure there were people watching the original Tarzan movies and wondering where they got all those trained apes lol.

FWIW and IMO, if it is ever finally proven that the PGF is fake, it will not prove that BF doesn't exist. It will challenge long held beliefs and disappoint many, but I doubt it will alter the views of someone who has claimed to have had a sighting.