Hammock tent

norseman

I'm just starting to investigate hammock camping.    

Last fall a friend and I took an initial stab at it.   It didn't go real well ... for different reasons.   I have low back issues.   The gathered-end hammocks don't seem to work for me.    I wound up "going to ground" with a Bearpaw WD bug bivy instead.   My buddy went to ground in a much more abrupt way at about 32 feet per second squared.  Hee!!!    Since the ENO gathered-end hammock I tried didn't work I suspect the Hennessy Expedition Asym won't either.  

Next attempt for "lay flat" is a Warbonnet Ridgerunner.    It didn't arrive 'til after hiking season ended so I haven't tried it yet.    

If that doesn't work, this is next (Amok lay flat) but at $300, I want to be sure the Warbonnet hammock doesn't work before spending.

And if that doesn't work, there's likely going to be a big dang fire.  Disgruntled MIBs love fire.

I have a ruptured disc in my back. So unless I have my wall tent setup with cots, as my back cannot handle the ground anymore, I just do not do it.

Doesnt sound like the hammock did your back any favors either.

Mine is sciatica.    If it is behaving, I'm ok on the ground.  I generally put down a 3/4ths inch closed cell "Z" pad with a thermarest NeoAir over top.   The closed cell pad protects the inflatable from punctures and adds some padding.  I need more foot room than most people seem to.  I've switched to Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular down bags.   One of my major issues with the gathered-end -style hammocks is they force your feet together in the pointed end of the hammock.    I don't know how the bridge hammock will work out.  I'm planning to do a couple car camping trips where I can take "Plan B" and "Plan C" options to switch to easily if it doesn't work out.   You probably have opportunities to do that around the ranch.

My interest in hammocks is about being able to camp in places I can't now.   I like to fish small boulder-filled creek canyons that often don't have flat places to sleep.   Being able to find a couple adjacent trees (alders here) and hang above the rocks is appealing.  

If you do go with a hammock, make sure to get an insulating pad or an under-quilt.   Our body weight compresses the insulation and we can get incredibly cold from underneath at ridiculous-seeming warm outside temperatures.    The bridge hammock I selected comes with a double body with a gap between the two to hold an insulating pad.

I looked into hammocks and spent a lot of time before bowing out. There are a lot of attractive features of hammocking. There is also a steep learning curve that involves specialized knots, whoopie slings, ridgelines, underquilts, and more.  One attraction was that you could be guaranteed a level surface to sleep on even on the side of a mountain.

If you're interested in learning more you should check out Shuge. He's got the best videos on YT related to hammocking and he's knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery/playlists

My game plan was to get the Warbonnet Traveler and Net which would provide the greatest amount of openness and airiness. I'd cover it with a camo Superfly tarp with doors which would batten down the hatches in bad weather. This the Superfly tarp from the Warbonnet website:

cfs4.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb

Try the grand trunk skeeter beeter pro.  That is the one I have, though not completely field tested just yet, just some backyard camping with the kiddos.  I would also get tree straps for extra durability and to protect the trees.  A sleeping pad is useful to keep off the chill and extra padding.  Get a good tarp and you are good to go.

Check out Bushcraftusa.com.  There are many knowledgeable folks there not just on hammocks but outdoors in general.

The Tentsile looks cool but after reading the specs I'd have to pass. Too much weight (7 lbs.) and packs down too large ( 16"x8"x8") for a backpacker dude like me. And that's for the small $350 "cheapie"  If there was a single person size that weighed around 4 lbs. and packed down to about 12"x5"x5" maybe. I just picked a new back pack yesterday that's only 2.9 lbs. That alone dropped the load by 4 lbs. which is a LOT. In fact it's nearly the clone of the one that I had back in the early 70's but with some major really well thought improvements.....and I'm a happy guy :) 

Edited by hiflier

I have a Henessy asym. that I've only used a couple of nights. They do take some getting used to, and I'm not. A bit involved to set up but if you need a hammock due to ground conditions, slope/ rock whatever. It does the trick. They are cold in moderate temps IMO, so need the insulating layer, at that point it's a lot of stuff I can sleep fairly well in the thing as one can get pretty flat.

On 3/13/2017 at 11:50 AM, norseman said:

Why did you scrap the idea?

I scrapped it because I was concerned whether my gear would stay dry in the event of an all-day rain. In a tent, I could pull in into the tent to guarantee it would stay dry or even in a vestibule if space was limited. With a hammock, your sleeping gear is totally protected but other gear is not. If rain only came down vertically it would not be an issue but blowing winds would wet out the gear under the hammock.

If I could have solved that issue, I would have pulled the trigger.

I've seen hammock tarps that were big and had ends stitched into them. Kinda like a floorless tent.

If I run across it again I'll post it up here

Man hammock is the best and going light is what you want. Just the vitals. The good hammocks are I believe are the Hennesy hammocks .( not sure if this the right name)

Well anyhow here is the info : https://hennessyhammock.com/

ShadowBorn -

The Hennessy hammocks are gathered-end hammocks which mean your back is curved like a banana all night.  They work best for back sleepers.  Sometimes side sleepers can use them, sometimes not.   Not worth a darn for stomach or stomach/side sleepers like myself.   A bridge hammock with a pocket at each end allows for lay-flat which helps some.  They're a little heavier because of the spreader bars at each end.   Tradeoffs for some people, vital for others.

There's a lot of info online ... google "Sgt Rock hammock hq" or click Sgt Rock .  (I'm providing the link because there's one bad one that comes up with Google that takes you to a dead end.)   He's got a lot of good stuff, links to manufacturers, reviews, forum, etc.   

MIB