Hammock tent

norseman

One might be surprised how flat one can lay in a Hennessy, they are asymmetrical and designed to allow a flat(ter) sleep, it's not too bad.

I tried the hammock one time, I have back issues too, and could hardly move the next morning......plus something fairly large (not a bear or bf) got underneath and was sniffing my butt, I moved, it left, but came back later. To me, having something underneath sniffing my hind quarters was worse than the back pain:)

There has to be a feeling of being more exposed to whatever is out there.  Of course, a tent offers no protection but it does give 2' or 3' of space and a blink of an eye of extra time to defend yourself.  No way, Jose, I'd be in a hammock in grizzly or brown bear territory.

Just use the tarp system, then nothin can eat ya butt first....have to start feet first instead! ;)

Safety in a tent is an illusion.   Tents nullify the value of bear spray as well.   All you can do is season yourself, you can't inconvenience the bear at all.   If there's really a danger, I want a cot and blankets I can kick off, not a bag I'm trapped in.   Then I want space to move and light to see by .. hopefully something I can get my back against.

MIB

BFF Patron

I am a side sleeper and cannot even tolerate a soft hotel bed where I get any spine bend.    My back injury dates from parachute training in the military.    That incident mysteriously disappeared from my medical records a few days before I retired.   I think they figured I would try to get disability.    Anyway if BF enjoys messing with humans in tents,   imagine what fun a BF would have with a human sleeping in a hammock?      Could get you spinning like a piece of meat on a rotisserie.     I can just see them trying to get you so dizzy you throw up when they are done.  .  

I've used a tarp set up in the shoulder seasons before and after bug season.  It provides a special sense of freedom.

Tent safety is an illusion but it does offer substantially more room than a hammock to have things available at your fingertips.  The simple truth is where I live there no creature that is going to come tearing through the tent, or ripping away at a hammock, to get at you short of a crazed human.  That would be foolish thing to do as that person would not have any idea of what they may be staring at on the other side of the ripstop nylon.

Don't expect crazed ... drugs, alcohol, or mentally deficient ... humans not to do things you think are foolish.   They're not in a state to recognize the "foolishness" of what they're doing be cognizant of / care about the consequences.     Expecting crazy people to be have in a non-crazy way is ... crazy.  Y' know?

MIB 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
On 3/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, Bigtex said:

I tried the hammock one time, I have back issues too, and could hardly move the next morning......plus something fairly large (not a bear or bf) got underneath and was sniffing my butt, I moved, it left, but came back later. To me, having something underneath sniffing my hind quarters was worse than the back pain:)

Must have been a canid, that is how they introduce themselves to others.......   

Never have liked the sense of claustrophobia in many of these hammocks,  granted a tent is little cover,  if biting black flies and mosquitoes aren't too bad the fly sheets could work alright except with wind driven rain.perhaps.