HOLDMYBEER

The Patterson Gimlin Film - On The Road

Martin

Did he confront him? 

Didn't they end up in court?

Edited by Martin

PBeaton
13 hours ago, Martin said:

Like so many other things the full story isn't really known. People with access never dig too deep into touchy subjects.

You don't know...yet you criticize folks for.."never dig too deep into touchy subjects."

hahaha ! ;);) 

Martin
PBeaton

^ Well that's swell.

Did you find your answers for these..."Did he confront him? Didn't they end up in court?"

Martin

I found some for sure.

Good thing Long came along to document important things. I'm not a Bob H. guy but Long did good job chasing documents etc.    

Bigfoothunter
8 hours ago, PBeaton said:

You don't know...yet you criticize folks for.."never dig too deep into touchy subjects."

hahaha ! ;);) 

Martin thinks because he knows little about something means no one else does.      :lol:

• Upvote 1

Backdoc
BFF Donor

The Planet of the Apes in 1968 made money.  It was such a success that many movie sequels followed.  Had that first POTA movie lost a fortune I really doubt they would go on to make more.

Consider, the PGF made a lot of money.  Various figures have been thrown around and I don't know how we would really know for certain.  We can all agree it was a big time money maker.

Why no sequel to the PGF?  After all, we are told Roger and Bob and co. took whatever resources they had and filmed the PGF as a hoax to rip off the public and make money.  It did well and made a lot of money.  Why no sequel?!!!!!!!!!!  Consider they had the suit.  They could easily make another.  The suit would look like what we might expect one is supposed to look like after seeing one in the PGF itself.  If another person had going in later (heck maybe the even fake some tracks first) and then film with a same or similar suit, it would be even more money.  It would be another goose laying even more golden eggs. 

I stood at a pop machine once.  I got a coke.  My buddy hit the button right after and another coke came out without paying. Then he and others kept making selections until they all had a free one as the machine just kept producing.  Putting the moral implications aside, it was human nature to go to that well until it stopped producing.

Are we really to think Roger and Bob and Co made this great success and then hated money so much they just stopped?

No matter what a skeptic will tell you, there was 100% no downside to doing another hoax for even more money.   It could even be suggested a similar hoax would add value and credibility to the first film.  If someone paid to see the first one I am sure they would the sequel.

Someone care to give me the reason why making only one hoax makes sense?

OldMort

^^^ Perhaps the novelty wore off for the general public as they tend to be a fickle bunch.

Lots of other stuff going on during that time period too, (Vietnam War, Moon landings, assassinations,  counter culture and political upheaval etc, if you are old enough to remember those days.:)

Once was enough...

Edited by OldMort

Twist
4 hours ago, Backdoc said:

The Planet of the Apes in 1968 made money.  It was such a success that many movie sequels followed.  Had that first POTA movie lost a fortune I really doubt they would go on to make more.

Consider, the PGF made a lot of money.  Various figures have been thrown around and I don't know how we would really know for certain.  We can all agree it was a big time money maker.

Why no sequel to the PGF?  After all, we are told Roger and Bob and co. took whatever resources they had and filmed the PGF as a hoax to rip off the public and make money.  It did well and made a lot of money.  Why no sequel?!!!!!!!!!!  Consider they had the suit.  They could easily make another.  The suit would look like what we might expect one is supposed to look like after seeing one in the PGF itself.  If another person had going in later (heck maybe the even fake some tracks first) and then film with a same or similar suit, it would be even more money.  It would be another goose laying even more golden eggs. 

I stood at a pop machine once.  I got a coke.  My buddy hit the button right after and another coke came out without paying. Then he and others kept making selections until they all had a free one as the machine just kept producing.  Putting the moral implications aside, it was human nature to go to that well until it stopped producing.

Are we really to think Roger and Bob and Co made this great success and then hated money so much they just stopped?

No matter what a skeptic will tell you, there was 100% no downside to doing another hoax for even more money.   It could even be suggested a similar hoax would add value and credibility to the first film.  If someone paid to see the first one I am sure they would the sequel.

Someone care to give me the reason why making only one hoax makes sense?

Perhaps they did try another hoax but the video did not come out as convincing enough?  They might have struck gold on the first one as some have suggested and couldn't reproduce it?  

• Upvote 1

Backdoc
BFF Donor
4 hours ago, Twist said:

Perhaps they did try another hoax but the video did not come out as convincing enough?  They might have struck gold on the first one as some have suggested and couldn't reproduce it?  

That could very well be.  Good point.

OkieFoot
BFF Donor

Why couldn't Roger just have the suitmaker make another suit for a second hoax video?  His/her PGF suit was so superb that many were fooled, and still are, into thinking it was actually real and not a suit. If he had the talent and abilities to make one that good, he could make another one.

Roger could have it made in a different shade, a bit different size and make it a male suit so no one would catch on. 

Then for his second Bigfoot film, maybe he could drive to Montana to make it.  ;)

Backdoc
BFF Donor

This may have been covered well before. 

I am curious how we know for certain how much the PGF made.  

I imagine if Gimlin sued Al or something like that it would be revealed.   The party with the money would likely undervalue the film and the one asking for their cut might overvalue the film.   We know the film was said to have made money.  Unless someone could look at the books or the Tax Return of Al or Roger I don't know how we would really know for certain how much the PGF made.

I have read $200,000- $250,000 in 1967/ 1968 era.   How do we really know this?

It is not a really big deal, I just am curious how we know what we think we know.  It would seem to me apart from some court action, this would be a private thing and no one would have access to the books.

Squatchy McSquatch

Gimlin did indeed go to court.

He approached Patricia Patterson at Roger's funeral then lawyered up sometime after.

As far as anyone knows, the case details are not available to the public.

Kinda makes me wonder what was said in that courtroom.

SweatyYeti

I don't think that....(under the 'hoax' scenario).....there would be much incentive for Roger to "capture another Bigfoot on film".  Doing so would only serve to create more suspicion, that he was creating hoaxed Bigfoot films. 

A similar situation would be Todd Standing, and his multiple successes of capturing close-up images of (Muppet) Sasquatches. His repeated "successes" are obviously fraudulent.  

On 10/6/2017 at 4:52 PM, OldMort said:

^^^ Perhaps the novelty wore off for the general public as they tend to be a fickle bunch.

Lots of other stuff going on during that time period too, (Vietnam War, Moon landings, assassinations,  counter culture and political upheaval etc, if you are old enough to remember those days.:)

Once was enough...

It sure was, Mort. 50 years later, and the footage is still BUZZING with activity/research/new findings.  :drinks: 

Edited by SweatyYeti

Backdoc
BFF Donor
9 minutes ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

Gimlin did indeed go to court.

He approached Patricia Patterson at Roger's funeral then lawyered up sometime after.

As far as anyone knows, the case details are not available to the public.

Kinda makes me wonder what was said in that courtroom.

SM,

1)  I don't know if there are some who were involved and then had access to some discovery where they revealed the film made $250,000.  I have no idea but it would seem to me the only way we could really know for certain is in some case like that.  Otherwise anything we might have heard over the years could be true or way off on the amount.   Also, maybe things were settled and some 'Nondisclosure agreement' was signed where they couldn't open their mouth about the details.  I really don't know.  Again, I am not saying this is a huge deal. It is just something I have heard said.  I could even appear in someone's book but that does not mean the author had it right.

It is just one of those interesting things to find out.  I mean $250,000 in 1967/68 would be a lot of money now as it obviously would be then. 

Any info we find out would be helpful to all of us.  Again, I just want to be certain why we think we are certain on things we think we know.

2) The points you made about Gimlin going to court and approaching Patterson's wife at his funeral no less tells me that Gimlin wasn't initially paid.   That tells me Roger and Al did not in fact PAY GIMLIN.   Why would they rip off a conspirator in their hoax for money scam by not paying him.  Kinda dumb is they expect Gimlin to keep quiet.  Also it seems to be agreed they used a fake Gimlin and this would have further ticked off Gimlin <---- who they had not paid or shared in the wealth of the PGF winnings.   yet he didn't blow the story and to this day has never blown the hoax story.  Don't you find that a little odd?  A little Risky?   Why would Gimlin keep his mouth shut?