Olympic Peninsula Nesting Area Update

BobbyO

Unfortunately, BobbyO, if these were nests for the creatures sighted, the disturbance by humans has likely run off the inhabitants.  But, that 20 mile radius seems plausible in relation to known animals.  A fisher usually hunts within a 2 sq mile radius with a 15 sq mile home range.

Regardless of the results, it would be nice to hear what is found regarding the nests.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree fully with the circle however large you make it for their feeding pattern, sightings tend to stack up that way during certain months and you can see the basic outline of the area they are using. Now where the food sources are plentiful that circle might be smaller than where the food sources are limited. They seem to manage themselves to a degree in terms of not wiping out any available food source, or leaving that much evidence of their presence, so maybe that is self imposed movement rather than by constraint. I think we see both natural animal movement as well as higher intelligence at work, it is more than just go where the food is, although it is that to some extent.

• 1 month later...
SSR Team

BobbyO I just noticed you posted the monsterxradio podcast. I was just going to post that. Latest on the nest sites. Also wanted to put in a plug for the Longview/Kelso Squatchfest. This was covered there also. Stop in if you're in the area if it keeps going. It was very good this year and had interesting speakers. 

https://m.facebook.com/KelsoLongviewChamber/photos/gm.1786281661668145/1779980478701988/?type=3&source=44&ref=m_notif&notif_t=admin_plan_mall_activity

• masterbarber unpinned this topic