Sign in to follow this  
masterbarber

Was It A Suit? (2)

PBeaton

ohiobill,

Weight of evidence, reliability, etc. etc., you're already familiar with the gist of these things from everyday life aren't ya ohiobill.

It's much like weighin' the worth of a post...sometimes they're found lackin'... ;);) 

Pat...

ohiobill

Hi Pat, same deal for you -  If you can't clearly articulate why one anonymous witness of a cryptid is to be trusted more than another anonymous witness claiming a separate cryptid sighting there's really nothing to talk about. I will just have to hope backdoc has an answer...

PBeaton

ohiobill,

Hiya Bill,

Same deal for you...if you can't clearly differentiate why one's statements can be found to be more reliable than another's...haha...want ta buy a bridge... ;) 

Pat...

ohiobill

Hey Pat - Let's give backdoc some time to respond before we muddy the water any further. It was his post that started the conversation and I feel it's only fair to wait for his answer. If he doesn't respond I will take a stab at your question if you answer mine first. Fair enough?

PBeaton

Heya Bill,

Sure. I've already answered yours however. It would seem you have the advantage with your familiarity with unicorns, werewolves, fairies an whatever other forums you follow. But I'm game !

Pat...

ps Backdoc...ohiobill said..."Eyewitness reports are nothing but eyewitness reports in the absence of evidence." , simply ask him for similar evidence of any of his hopefuls, surely he has similar evidence that has stood the test of time such as the PGF !

Edited by PBeaton

ohiobill

Actually, you didn't answer my question Pat. I asked backdoc, " Are fairy witnesses somehow less human than bigfoot witnesses? How are the witnesses of cryptids different in your opinion and how do you rank them in terms of reliability? "

Give it some thought and you can tackle it after backdoc has his chance. 

Martin

I have an answer when your ready.

norseman
14 hours ago, ohiobill said:

Hi Pat, same deal for you -  If you can't clearly articulate why one anonymous witness of a cryptid is to be trusted more than another anonymous witness claiming a separate cryptid sighting there's really nothing to talk about. I will just have to hope backdoc has an answer...

We have fossils of Bigfoot like creatures in the fossil record. Unlike other cryptids such as cyclops, pixies or winged dragons.

Also as time goes on? The hominid tree continues to get bushier and bushier in the fossil record.

While slim there is still a chance Bigfoot like creatures could exist still.

Edited by norseman
Added

Martin

^ Someone could say we haven't found the fossil records for those other cryptids because fossils are hard. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Bigfoothunter
1 hour ago, Martin said:

I have an answer when your ready.

I  have an answer as well. It is when there is evidence presented for a cryptids existence that holds up to rational scrutiny.   :)

11 minutes ago, Martin said:

^ Someone could say we haven't found the fossil records for those other cryptids because fossils are hard. 

Anyone can say anything regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.  For instance some cryptid could live in areas like the rain forest where bones made of calcium deteriorate in short order. The gorilla would be one such example.

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Guest OntarioSquatch

There are different ways to evaluate the legitimacy of reports. It can be done individually through psychoanalysis, but also in large numbers for geographical and behavioural patterns that would correspond to a biological phenomenon

When you have several hundred reports that you've logically determined to be highly credible, and have geographical and behavioural consistencies to along with it, it can become very obvious that people are in fact seeing what they're describing. 

You won't be able to get that with phenomena that is likely non-existent (e.g. biological dragons, leprechauns, unicorns).

Long story short, reports can challenging to properly analyze, but it's doable. The idea that they can't be used as evidence is a myth that was misconstrued from the fallacy of accepting something as a result of someone simply saying it.

ohiobill

Hi Norse, I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying as far as possibilities go but your answer is to a different question in my opinion. We have fossils that can stand in for most of the cryptids discussed and many others not named, especially when viewed by prehistoric humans without access to the knowledge we do now. Minotaurs, centaurs & cyclops are all theorized as having their birth in the visible fossil beds of ancient Greece. I can easily believe that myths of giants began when viewing large fossils or trying to come up with answers to the world around them. They may even  have been influenced instinctually due to ancient competitions for survival with other hominids. It's easy enough to see how it could work in the relatively recent Paul Bunyon & Babe legends told to you and me when growing up but I don't think it answers the question asked.

Martin +1 for fossils are hard! 

norseman
37 minutes ago, Martin said:

Fossils are hard to come by.

We know Denisovans existed because of a finger bone.

And the exciting part is we are still digging new species out of the ground.

But there are plenty of species already on the books that could fit the bill. We just have to find it in North America. Maybe we have....

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-americas-first-humans-20170426-story.html

Martin
14 hours ago, ohiobill said:

............................." Are fairy witnesses somehow less human than bigfoot witnesses? How are the witnesses of cryptids different in your opinion and how do you rank them in terms of reliability? "

My answer is that the "witnesses"  aren't any more or less reliable across all cryptids. The difference is the in the person evaluating the "witnesses" report and just what they are willing to rationalize within their own mind. 

Below is an example: 

57 minutes ago, Bigfoothunter said:

I  have an answer as well. It is when there is evidence presented for a cryptids existence that holds up to rational scrutiny.   :)

I am sure ghost hunters, fairy hunters, nessie hunters, chupacabra hunters, para-squatch hunters, alien bigfoot hunters and ufo hunters would agree with Bigfoothunters analysis.

• Upvote 1

SweatyYeti
4 minutes ago, Martin said:

My answer is that the "witnesses"  aren't any more or less reliable across all cryptids. The difference is the in the person evaluating the "witnesses" report and just what they are willing to rationalize within their own mind. 

Wrong, Martin. :) 

There are plenty of differences between the sighting reports of Sasquatches, and other cryptids. The differences include various corroborating pieces of evidence...such as .....footprints....fiilm/video...audio recordings...accounts of rock-throwing......and more. 

There are also differences in the numbers of sighting reports. 

Also...some other cryptids....(such as ghosts/spirits).....may actually exist.  So, it's kinda senseless to use the sighting reports of other crytids/unknowns which may actually be real....to try to diminish the potential reality of the cryptid at hand.    

Sign in to follow this