Cotter

How much longer should we wait for a PGF recreation before it's determined it can't be done?

Twist

Sounds to me like Patty is 7' tall then.  

Patterson-Gimlin

So finally you admit the film subject is a member of the 7 ' club that I am a prominent member of.  Told you it takes one to know one. :P. Not in my mind. 

Not babble at all. Thanks for getting on board. I still don't believe in mythical beasts. Another story for another day. 

SweatyYeti
38 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

So finally you admit the film subject is a member of the 7 ' club that I am a prominent member of.  Told you it takes one to know one. :P. Not in my mind. 

Not babble at all. Thanks for getting on board.  

You seem to be missing the distinction between 'walking height' and full 'standing height', PG. 

Again...the 'foot ruler' height measurement gives us a 'walking height' for Patty of a little over 6'. Add several inches to her 'walking height', and you will get her true 'body height'....which could be close to 7'. It could be several inches shorter, though. 

There is no solid/legit height calculation method that gives a 'walking height' for Patty of 7' tall, or taller.  

Edited by SweatyYeti

Twist

When discussing the issue of something / someones height I always believed it to be about standing height, not how tall they are when they slouch.  Thus Patty is 7' range.  

• Upvote 2

PBeaton
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'll have to look again and find it but my memory of Gigantofootecus calculations were that Patty's standing height was 18% higher than her walking height.  If that is the case...6'3" walking would equal 7'4" standing.

Is my memory correct about the 18%?

"..if you are going to measure Patty's vertical height in frame 72 by stacking the foot ruler you must add 17% to convert her walking height to her standing height. The walking height, however, varies over the walk cycle." 

Edited by PBeaton

Patterson-Gimlin

I agree. Standing height is what I always meant. I stand 7'1". I walk upright, straight and look ahead. 

SweatyYeti
2 minutes ago, Twist said:

When discussing the issue of something / someones height I always believed it to be about standing height, not how tall they are when they slouch.  Thus Patty is 7' range.  

In Patty's case...we have to start with a measurement of her 'walking height'...since that is how she is seen in the film.

Her 'walking height' can then be converted to her true body height. 

Twist
1 minute ago, SweatyYeti said:

In Patty's case...we have to start with a measurement of her 'walking height'...since that is how she is seen in the film.

Her 'walking height' can then be converted to her true body height. 

And what do you believe her true body height to be ? 

SweatyYeti
10 minutes ago, PBeaton said:

"..if you are going to measure Patty's vertical height in frame 72 by stacking the foot ruler you must add 17% to convert her walking height to her standing height. The walking height, however, varies over the walk cycle." 

Thanks, Pat. :) 

That is a very big differential, between 'walking' and 'standing' height. I'd have to see Giganto's work....to accept that figure.

Edited by SweatyYeti

Patterson-Gimlin

I can answer that 

Ron 7 '1"

Film subject  7" 3"

Ron 350 pounds of muscle. 

Film subject more muscles and heavier. 

Ron human. 

Film subject unsolved mystery 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Upvote 1

SweatyYeti
5 minutes ago, Twist said:

And what do you believe her true body height to be ? 

It depends on just how much greater her 'standing height' is, than her 'walking height'. I will have to check out Giganto's work...and see how he figures there would be a full foot difference. 

I've been thinking the differential would be about 5-to-8".  

Twist

It would seem then that there was not much debate needed for the last page or so in regards to her being in the 7' range.  

SweatyYeti

^

There is a need to determine Patty's 'walking height'. :) 

But, not to worry, Twist....I'll figure that out....and you can just keep saying Patty is 7' tall.  ;) 

Edited by SweatyYeti

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor
8 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

^

I don't think it was quite that much higher, wiia....but I'm not sure.  I remember him posting that....but I have no idea which thread it is in.

Hopefully, you can find it. :) 

That's simple, PG....as wiia just pointed-out...Patty's full 'standing height' could be several inches taller than her 'walking height'. 

So, if Patty's 'walking height' was 6'5".....then her true/full 'body height' would probably be close to 7' tall. And, she would be able to walk with a lengthy stride.

Sweti,

I think this is where I remember finding it:

http://www.readclip.com/crypto/review.htm

Gigantofootecus goes through his calculations, which I couldn't understand in three lifetimes, and then has a summary at the end. His 4th bullet point mentions the 18% standing vs walking height.

Edited by wiiawiwb

OkieFoot
BFF Donor

When talking about height, to cut down on possible confusion, how about if we start using something along the lines of "w. height" for walking height and "st. height" for standing height. Or something similar.

I kept finding myself wondering which type of "height" was being referred to.