Bigfoot range and population speculation thread.

Twist

Dear heart, you are projecting.

You feel fear in your heart, so you see fearful things all around you, and then you think you need to be constantly on guard. It's a vicious cycle. You create the things you're afraid of, and then feel justified in feeling so afraid, creating even more fearful things.

You need to stop entertaining fear so much.

I will say that you have managed this fear really well, all things considered -- better than most. You could have gone in a very different direction, with all your experiences. But you didn't. You have shown people that the BF are NOT killers; that they are human in their behavior, their bearing, and pretty much all other things.

For this, I and others -- including the BF themselves -- are very grateful to you.

But there is always more to do.

I remember your talking a few years ago about how hard it is to trust the BF, because after all, it's so hard to trust even your friends and neighbors; and I remember thinking (and I think I actually wrote it in a post, too), "Oh dear. This person doesn't even have actual human neighbors he can trust? He's worried about PEOPLE, too? No wonder he can't imagine coexisting peacefully with the BF."

You need to go inward and soften your heart. You need to trust a little more. And then you will see that there is more out there to trust! And THAT will become a "cycle", but it won't be a vicious one this time.

It's so funny that you mention the BF who tried to "steal" a puppy from your tent. I was just talking with someone about a very similar incident, which ended completely differently from how you imagined yours would end. So, I now know to ask: How do you know your BF was going to "steal" the puppy, and not put it back? Many BF like puppies for the same reasons we do -- to play with them. But that doesn't mean that that particular BF was not going to return the puppy.

Do you understand now about projecting? You think you know what that BF was going to do, but you actually didn't know. You filled in some blanks in some unknowable future, pretending you knew that future, and scared yourself with what you put in the blanks.

Next time, you can have a conversation with that BF about your concerns, instead of thinking you know what he (or she) is going to do.

"Their lurking behaviors may be benign, but they are also creepy."

Why are you choosing to categorize "benign behavior" as "creepy"? You could as easily say, they were being "respectful". They might be trying to respect your privacy and your boundaries, while still trying to get to know you. Or maybe they are being "wary" -- wanting to be more visible to you, but afraid of how you might respond to them if you felt frightened (since humans are so aggressive and reactive).

See how this works? If you have the compassion and understanding to get to "benign" (and yay for you, for getting there), then you have the necessary compassion and understanding to transmute "creepy" to something more appropriate; something less judgmental and fearful; and therefore, something likely to be more accurate.

You're pretty much there, JDL. You just have to stop worrying so much, and trying to justify that worry. The more you justify it, the more you will be a prisoner of it, and the whole point is to break free of worry -- not to feed it and give it strength.

Edited by LeafTalker
  • Upvote 2

All wild animals big or small are dangerous.  I had to get 22 shots last year for rabies vaccine from a baby raccoon bite.  Lol

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Yuchi1 said:

Homo Sapiens are absolutely the most dangerous animals on this planet.

Well......remember that many here including you believe Bigfoot to be a Homo Sapien!!

:)

Honobia? The Cowman? Spirit Lake? I'm sure to be leaving out many others.

Yeah, a merry ol' band of groovy hippies. Got it!

JDL, stop your unwarranted worry. After all, you're almost there!

Edited by See-Te-Cah NC
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
On 8/22/2017 at 6:17 AM, JDL said:

If Bigfoot were universally hostile I'd be dead.  But I don't think they are universally benign either.  

I've caught one in the act of trying to steal a puppy from our tent.  And the location where that happened in Nevada County, California is in one of Paulides' clusters.  

I know that there have been accounts of life-saving acts by Bigfoot, but there are also accounts of probable predation by Bigfoot.  

They do, by many accounts, seem drawn to human children and I've experienced this.  

Their lurking behaviors may be benign, but they are also creepy, the acts of the ultimate boogeymen.  Boogers?

Many NA described them as predators, kidnappers, etc.  

I'm not inclined to leave the vulnerable untended in their presence.  

My experience was similar.   I had rationalized that if they were hostile, I would be dead too, and had moved into the big furry forest creature camp when I did things that provoked them and realized that I could only push them so far.    My hunting behavior was met with being flanked by one I was not aware was behind me.     This was a group that seemed friendly the first contacts but they seemed to tire of me trying to mess with them, and each contact became more unfriendly on their part.     Even if first contacts seem friendly,  one never knows if some hunter took some shots at the same group and any subsequent contact could be hostile.   Too many reports of dogs being injured and killed to trust them around dogs trying to protect their humans.     Just as creepy humans seem too interested in children,  that same creepy interest by BF should be a matter of concern.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

Some of the "old timey" stories are very well written....during periods of time when not everyone could read or write, particularly well.

Very interesting to say the least. Given not all of us have access to local research groups and intimate local knowledge of undocumented (aka not on a public database) sightings and activity, how are we ever to be sure where we should be extra vigilant?

As mentioned in another post, we stay vigilant here in the Rockies near Pikes Peak....but how do we know if certain areas are considered hot spots which we might stay away from with small children?

Note: we found out last week the area we camp in has had quite a few lion sightings over the past several years...some in the closest town to where we usually set up.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:15 PM, NatFoot said:

I was really looking forward to hear more theories on range and population.

Maybe there should be a habituation thread? If not, my 2 cents....hard to believe habituators and that there are these hidden photos out there that prove existence. As many crazy people as there are out there....someone would break someone's trust to steal the picture and go public themselves.

I noticed the subject in the original post question went away after the second post, which happens a lot in this forum.  I am going to try and stick to the original subject.  I grew up in Indiana and although I was fascinated with Bigfoot there wasn't much to research there.  I moved to Florida 2 1/2 years ago and never even thought about it until I saw a news report about a sighting.  Then I started doing research and looking at Google maps aerial photographs.  I started figuring out that this state has the highest potential for getting trail cam footage than any other state in the nation.  There are some areas that if they want to travel from one place to another they have no choice but to use a small section to cross like I 75.   It's not a good idea to run across no matter what time of the day it is.  So I started looking for areas within 50 miles of my location that had these kind of places.  I tried to put out as many no glow cams as I can.  Hopefully it will pay off.   As for population, after researching all the sightings on BFRO and others that I have found I believe there might be as many as a thousand in this state.   The unique part about this state is that if you saw one in the woods it would be gone in 2 to 3 seconds.   As for movement, I do not believe the females and young move around as much as the males.   I have found for 9 months in a row in an area a mother and juvenile that have stayed in the same area but I have found bigger male prints within 2 to 3 miles of that area.  Since our area stays warm year round I do not believe they have as much need to move.  It's more the wet and dry season.   The winter is the dry season which there seems to be more sightings.   The summer is hot and rains almost every day at some point so they have very little need to move.   And the one thing that my trail cams have picked up is there are ample amounts of deer and pigs so food is not lacking here and things stay green year round.    So I hope this stayed more to the first question that was asked on this subject.   And I will keep updating as I find things.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the population in Maine if there is one is very small. The assumption suggests that in order to sustain itself the population would HAVE to interact with groups elsewhere like New Brunswick or Ontario or possibly west into New Hampshire. Pure speculation on my part though. I do think there is at least one family around the Turner, Maine area, twp perhaps in the region in and around Baxter State Park and into the North Woods, And at least one or two families in the Maine Whites. Again, speculation based on reports over the decades since the 1900's and a bit earlier. These families would not have to move for their food supply but would for mating. There's a lot of room in Maine so the distances would be great but since the creatures don't watch TV they have lots of time on their hands ;) 

Brian,

Being from the north and only having been to Fl once, I'm curious if finding animal remains is common place around water sources given the gator population.  Or do most remains get consumed?

On 8/23/2017 at 10:30 PM, Twist said:

Brian,

Being from the north and only having been to Fl once, I'm curious if finding animal remains is common place around water sources given the gator population.  Or do most remains get consumed?

Most of the gators I see are in the rivers and ponds. If they kill they and their friends usually finish it. I was going to one of my trail cams and found a freshly dead deer couldn't have been there more than a day. Couldn't tell how it died but the vultures were already showing up so out of curiosity I kept going back about every four days I wanted to see how long it would take to completely go away. So with the heat, bugs, vultures, and so on it took less than two weeks. As for my estimate of 1000 BF in Florida that's probably high but I have found six different sets of footprints within a 10 mile area. In the last two weeks there have been two road crossings to the southeast of me in two different counties could be the same one but I doubt it. So I think we have a good population here.

• Upvote 1

Given your description of what could be considered potential choke points for BF traversing the FL landscape you have yourself a nice area to research.