7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

I tell you what, the manager gets in about 9:30 am on week day mornings. I could always follow through,call, and ask for a piece of the skeleton. I'll also be In Alabama in about 3 weeks, maybe I could swing by and take pics and decide whether I need to ask in person.

Is the skeleton still there?

Yes. It was verified today that it is still there.

Sadly 20+ years ago hubby and I both believed it to be real. Hubby is a pathologist. Upon examination Hubby believed it to be real at that time, but I wonder if the real skeleton has been replaced. Mores have changed in the last 20 plus years. :huh:

I tell you what, the manager gets in about 9:30 am on week day mornings. I could always follow through,call, and ask for a piece of the skeleton. I'll also be In Alabama in about 3 weeks, maybe I could swing by and take pics and decide whether I need to ask in person.

OH, Jodie! That would be wonderful!! Please verify the story also so that we will have background on where the skeleton came from.

It was payment, but why did the poor farm family have it to begin with?

Yikes, They may have dug it up! The man was a farmer.. :huh: That makes some sense, especially when skeletons cost money to purchase. Today skeletons are made of some laminate material. Back then we all used actual skeletons in school.

OMG, I think that one of the pathologists that hubby worked with may still be there! She was there about 15 years ago. Oh Boy, that could be big help if we have some relationship with people who live there today.

I will call tomorrow and see if I can make contact with former friends.. :D That could really help us all....

Alabama is covered up in burial mounds. There are 1000's of Indian sites that have never been explored and are probably lying under subdivisions or under someone's cotton or soybean fields. It would not be out of the ordinary for a farmer to come across a skeleton like that. There is a historical precedence for Indians in Alabama to be extremely tall. I believe Chief Tuscaloosa and his son were reported to be 2 feet taller than De Soto's tallest soldier who was 6'4.

OMG, I think that one of the pathologists that hubby worked with may still be there! She was there about 15 years ago. Oh Boy, that could be big help if we have some relationship with people who live there today.

I will call tomorrow and see if I can make contact with former friends.. :D That could really help us all....

Well let me know what you find out before I call or go down there. Last time I called the hostess got tickled and I felt incredibly foolish, although that didn't stop me from asking anyway. I know there is a skeleton of some sort still in the restaurant according to who I spoke with.

I'll also be In Alabama in about 3 weeks, maybe I could swing by and take pics and decide whether I need to ask in person.

That would be awesome!

Well let me know what you find out before I call or go down there. Last time I called the hostess got tickled and I felt incredibly foolish, although that didn't stop me from asking anyway. I know there is a skeleton of some sort still in the restaurant according to who I spoke with.

Jodie, I'm going to PM you with my name and phone number. I will also call the path lab and see if we still have friends there. If so I will try to set something set up so you can see the skeleton, ****after I ask the pathologist to go and check it out to see if it is still the real deal.*****

Jodie, You are a sweetheart, and I'm honored to call you my friend.

PM coming soon to you..

Selma will be about 4 counties south of where I'm going so it'll be out of my way, but if Susie's friend says it doesn't have "Taiwan" stamped on it somewhere I'll take the extra time to drive down and have a look. Maybe they would let me have a tiny fragment, possibly measure the skull and long bones, have a look at the pelvis.

There is a historical precedence for Indians in Alabama to be extremely tall. I believe Chief Tuscaloosa and his son were reported to be 2 feet taller than De Soto's tallest soldier who was 6'4.

I have read reports that state Tuscaloosa was anywhere from just under to just over 7ft tall.

Facts about Tuscaloosa

Cheif Tuscaloosa and Hernando DeSoto

Though I agree that there is historical precedence for tall NA in Al

Edited by Redwolf

Selma will be about 4 counties south of where I'm going so it'll be out of my way, but if Susie's friend says it doesn't have "Taiwan" stamped on it somewhere I'll take the extra time to drive down and have a look. Maybe they would let me have a tiny fragment, possibly measure the skull and long bones, have a look at the pelvis.

Jodie, I cannot send you a PM, nor an email. You have me blocked .

I'm trying to unblock but can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

edit- I'm seeing your posts so I must have managed it. If I haven't, I'll get a mod to figure it out.

Edited by Jodie

I'm trying to unblock but can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

No. I've never blocked anybody. I can send it to a friend here, and have them forward the info. :(

Edited by SweetSusiq

That will work!!! I'll get unblock directions from a mod later. I did that awhile back when I had my hissy fit over your Firefly thread. I'm sure some folks have me blocked on here too but I rarely ever PM people to even know and do not know how to add friends. Ignorance is bliss , I suppose. They really need a "how to" thread on here.

I'm contacting Bill. He's online and I'll send it to him and he can forward it to you. Please don't worry, I'll never bother you again. :blink: Just leave me blocked.........