7+ Feet Tall Skeleton Displayed In Selma Alabama Restaurant

It'll be fun, probably something best done in more than one trip. I'll concentrate on the skeleton first, use the "undiscovered hominid" excuse and ease in to bigfoot depending on the reception. I know from past experience that people in Sylacauga are rather paranoid, probably left over from the revenuer days, but never the less, they have a peculiar attitude ( no offense intended for those from Sylacauga, it's just something I noticed). Have you noticed that about those that live in Selma , any cultural quirks? I figure if they had Edgar Cayce there they may be a little less judgemental about fringe topics.

It'll be fun, probably something best done in more than one trip. I'll concentrate on the skeleton first, use the "undiscovered hominid" excuse and ease in to bigfoot depending on the reception. I know from past experience that people in Sylacauga are rather paranoid, probably left over from the revenuer days, but never the less, they have a peculiar attitude ( no offense intended for those from Sylacauga, it's just something I noticed). Have you noticed that about those that live in Selma , any cultural quirks? I figure if they had Edgar Cayce there they may be a little less judgemental about fringe topics.

Selma was real big on who you were back then,what your connections were, who you knew, and being well dressed, and assume a slightly superior friendly easy going attitude that you know what you are doing in a nonthreatening manner being sure to use correct grammar will get you what you are wanting to get IMVOHO.

I'm not kidding either..

If you make it sound important and that the owners could profit from your research you will do great.

Jodie, I'm serious about being nicely dressed, like Sunday dress, business suit, don't go in shorts or jeans into that restaurant and expect them to accommodate you.

They will respond to a friendly well dressed lady who could possibly bring more fame to their establishment.

Alrighty, I'll wear my work clothes which is mostly dresses. They are more comfortable than jeans or shorts anyway and I don't wear those much. I just want to get the job done without stomping on people's boundaries.

Guest BlurryMonster

I sure hope not. If the townsfolk haven't minded for all these years and if the indian story is true and no one has made a fuss, then what would be the big deal? It is a piece of Americana and we are unfortunately losing so much as the years go by.

It's the law. More specifically, a federal one. NAGPRA mandates that no one can own or posses the remains of a Native American, and anyone that does needs to return the remains (and everything found with them) to the individual's descent community. If they don't, they're committing a crime and are subject to penalties.

The law was passed because it is a big deal. Native Americans (and their remains) deserve the same respectful treatment that everyone else (and their remains) get. For a long time, people in this country treated Native Americans pretty horribly, and this extended to their remains. This restaurant isn't the only place that's put humanoid bones on display for fun. How would you feel if someone dug up your grandpa and put him on display in a restaurant? That kind of thing used to happen all the time, and NAGPRA put an end to it. It's also a good way to make sure archeologists handle remains respectfully.

And Susi, I'll just reply here instead of a PM just so everyone can see it:

The easiest way to make sure the right thing happens with these bones is to contact the authorities and let them know about them. This is NAGPRA's website:

http://www.nps.gov/nagpra/INDEX.HTM

There's contact information on it, as well as other information about the law (and compliance with it). I think Jodie going to see if the bones are real is a good start; if they are, the best thing would do to contact someone who can get them tested and analyzed.

Edited by BlurryMonster

Guest billgreen2010

hey everyone is there new newspaper clippings about this 7ft tall skeleton keep me fully informed keep on squatching to be continued indeedy :) very interesting

Just under or just over 7' is plausible. I have a hard time believing that Tuscaloosa and his warriors were 8'4".

Well me too, but it made for fascinating reading back in Alabama History in the 9th grade.

It's the law. More specifically, a federal one. NAGPRA mandates that no one can own or posses the remains of a Native American, and anyone that does needs to return the remains (and everything found with them) to the individual's descent community. If they don't, they're committing a crime and are subject to penalties.

The law was passed because it is a big deal. Native Americans (and their remains) deserve the same respectful treatment that everyone else (and their remains) get. For a long time, people in this country treated Native Americans pretty horribly, and this extended to their remains. This restaurant isn't the only place that's put humanoid bones on display for fun. How would you feel if someone dug up your grandpa and put him on display in a restaurant? That kind of thing used to happen all the time, and NAGPRA put an end to it. It's also a good way to make sure archeologists handle remains respectfully.

The easiest way to make sure the right thing happens with these bones is to contact the authorities and let them know about them. This is NAGPRA's website:

There's contact information on it, as well as other information about the law (and compliance with it). I think Jodie going to see if the bones are real is a good start; if they are, the best thing would do to contact someone who can get them tested and analyzed.

Blurry, I don't suppose you could wait until I hear back from Mike, or better yet, get down there and get a chance to get some pics before you start rabble rousing and waxing sanctimonious about whistle blowing. You are turning out to be a real kill joy, you know that? And just out of curiosity, it's not out of the realm of feasibility for this to be a non-native american skeleton. How could they tell either way? This, or the fact that it is a faux skeleton, might explain why it hasn't been reburied.

Thank you. As soon as we know if it's a BF or a NA then I will contact this organization and have it stopped. They may have reburied the bones and put out a fake for all I know during the last 20+ years.

It has bothered me for decades, plus I've wondered if it could be a young BF. Thanks to Jodie we will all soon know.

I'm sure that the bones were real 20 some years ago. Now I don't know what is on display. Thank Heaven for Jodie. Personally I'm hoping it's a young BF...Now would that be exciting or what? :D That's what I'm hoping they are.

Guest BlurryMonster

Blurry, I don't suppose you could wait until I hear back from Mike, or better yet, get down there and get a chance to get some pics before you start rabble rousing and waxing sanctimonious about whistle blowing. You are turning out to be a real kill joy, you know that? And just out of curiosity, it's not out of the realm of feasibility for this to be a non-native american skeleton. How could they tell either way? This, or the fact that it is a faux skeleton, might explain why it hasn't been reburied.

I wasn't trying to rabble rouse, be sanctimonious, whistle blow, or kill any joy. Someone asked why the remains would need to moved and I provided some explanation about why NAGPRA was created. I hardly think that's causing trouble. The other part of my post was directed towards Susi, who asked me about who to contact in case the bones were real; I wasn't telling anyone to do anyhting, just answering a question. I'm certainly not trying to be antagonistic.

Also, they could tell if the remains were NA or not, that's what forensics is all about. Human bones are different from those of other animals, and NA bones have differences from the bones of other ethnicities. There's also DNA; it's more specific, but it takes a lot more effort (and money) to do than a visual examination.

I think if the skeleton is real, it's probably either a composite of non-human bones or a Native American (those options just seem the most likely to me). Of course, it could be a BF, but there's no way to tell without actually looking at it first. I think it's great that you're planning to do that, and I wish you luck.

Is the joy still alive now?

I wasn't trying to rabble rouse, be sanctimonious, whistle blow, or kill any joy. Someone asked why the remains would need to moved and I provided some explanation about why NAGPRA was created. I hardly think that's causing trouble. The other part of my post was directed towards Susi, who asked me about who to contact in case the bones were real; I wasn't telling anyone to do anyhting, just answering a question. I'm certainly not trying to be antagonistic.

Also, they could tell if the remains were NA or not, that's what forensics is all about. Human bones are different from those of other animals, and NA bones have differences from the bones of other ethnicities. There's also DNA; it's more specific, but it takes a lot more effort (and money) to do than a visual examination.

I think if the skeleton is real, it's probably either a composite of non-human bones or a Native American (those options just seem the most likely to me). Of course, it could be a BF, but there's no way to tell without actually looking at it first. I think it's great that you're planning to do that, and I wish you luck.

I'll PM you what I think of your justifications in general. But as for what you said about the skeleton, the fact that this skeleton is 7 feet tall, it may not have typical NA features, assuming it's real. I don't think a visual exam will give you the answers needed for ethnicity assuming it's human. I'm way ahead of you on the faux skeleton theory, if they let me have a fragment, I intended to get it from the back of the skull. But this all depends on if it is even real or not. I asked one of the members in AL. for some background info. I can also call the manager in the am before the place opens to ask, rather than just speaking with a hostess. That needs to be done before I make a detour in my trip.

Guest Grazhopprr

The "repatriation" of "native american" bones, is a great thing, but as the Kennewick Man situation shows, it can be a problem for real scientific investigation, when something doesn't seem right. A 7 foot skeleton needs real investigation with DNA included, before it's lost to the grave. If I found something, I'd hide it, and do investigations in secret.

There may be legal implications if I do this and misrepresent myself. I'm truly only interested in whether it's a possible BF skeleton so I want to approach this from "I want to see if this is human" and then ease into bigfoot. The Indian heritage is not my claim, but the restaurant's claim, which may not be the case. I don't seriously think a relic hominid species, if it is truly ancient, would be in good enough condition for it to have stayed intact sitting on a barrel in a restaurant/bar for the last 20+ years, probably exposed to cigarette smoke, hand oils from people touching it, etc.... There is no precedent for a fossilized skeleton past 25,000 years in North America either. That means it is either fake, a settler with a metabolic disorder, or a Muscogee that got a tall gene. I really doubt it's a bigfoot or skunk ape but I'll never say never. If the skull doesn't look right and it's not a plastic/resin skeleton then my photos need to go to someone who can do craniometric measurements and the host for this forum can provide DNA testing for free from the bone scrapings I will collect if allowed, if I'm not mistaken. Once that is all in, the "indian" issue can be dealt with, but I bet it's not real. Wouldn't that be a pisser if a bigfoot skeleton had been sitting in a restaurant/bar for the past 20+ years right under our noses? It would be like finding a Rembrandt in the attic.

Edited by Jodie

Blurry, I'm laughing because bless your kind heart you have done nothing to fret over. #We will know soon if we are dealing with a real skeleton. **I asked you how to get in touch with the proper authorities in a **PM** to you since the story was that the bones were Indian. Over the years I have wondered if they could be a BF youth.

Soon we will know, and trust me, Jodie and you and I will make sure that those bones are returned to the proper location if they truly are NA. If you check back through the posts here you will see that I have mentioned several times that I wish to see the bones in the correct place, and a restaurant is *not* the correct resting place for anyone's body, FGS..

All is well, and thank you for your assistance and information in dealing with this matter.