Camcorder or Camera

wiiawiwb

Great idea Gigantor. I've got that setup too and never think to bring it with me. I'm curious to see clear it records of a figure (person for test purposes) who is 50' away in the woods.

The gopro headstrap is much better than the cheststrap. If you hear something from the side or back you can quickly turn your head and look that way by using the headstrap where as you can't using the cheststrap.

Admin

True, but the headstrap is uncomfortable, especially if you're a fat ass like me and sweat like a pig when hiking...

Many of the newer thermal units today seem to have a narrower FOV (field of view) than those made a few years ago.  That's perfect if you're shooting hogs in an open field but it presents a bit of a challenge if you're squatching in the woods. 

I've never owned one (and don't want to make a colossal mistake buying my first one) but am guessing the narrower the FOV, the more chance you might miss something at the periphery when scanning in the woods.

Does anyone have an opinion whether a 12 FOV would be too narrow to be useful squatching? 

On 9/16/2017 at 9:18 PM, gigantor said:

True, but the headstrap is uncomfortable, especially if you're a fat ass like me and sweat like a pig when hiking...

If I'm by myself which is rarely, I will wear a strap for a gopro on my back showing everything behind me. I will also be wearing the head strap gopro at the same time. Since I bass fish several days a week I'm always wearing the head strap gopro for the pov when I catch a bass. I took a nice baseball type cap and just put me a liner of foam on the inside. It's not noticeable and makes it more comfortable to wear the head strap for longer periods of time. You can adjust the head strap to make it more loose and not so tight. I just prefer the head strap when out Bigfooting. If you hear something to your sides or behind you, you can turn your head a heck of a lot faster than you can turn your torso if using the chest strap. 

21 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Many of the newer thermal units today seem to have a narrower FOV (field of view) than those made a few years ago.  That's perfect if you're shooting hogs in an open field but it presents a bit of a challenge if you're squatching in the woods. 

I've never owned one (and don't want to make a colossal mistake buying my first one) but am guessing the narrower the FOV, the more chance you might miss something at the periphery when scanning in the woods.

Does anyone have an opinion whether a 12 FOV would be too narrow to be useful squatching? 

You will have to pay for the very costly models to get a better fov. The cheapest flir scout will do you just fine. It is what it is, which is the best thermal you're going to get for under $600... We have no problem with the fov on them. When looking through the scout, it's not that bad at all. There is no problem seeing anything around you. The response time is very good. You can sweep an area very quickly and it won't blur out as you're moving the camera. They record pictures and video. Very easy to hit the buttons on top.. The pictures are okay for the resolution but aren't large in size when put on the computer. The video is good though for the resolution. I did a lot of tests when I first got them before we sent them in the field. I might still have a few videos on youtube of tests I did last year if you're interested in checking out the flir scout tk. It's also dust proof and easily hangs around your neck with the strap. Very lite. It's the best way to go if you're new to thermal and don't want to spend a fortune on one and not end up using it enough to justify the cost. It's also really good if you're or a wife goes to walmart late at night, you can quickly scan the parking lot for idiots when walking to the car...Things like that...

I know me. I'll buy the FLIT Scout TK (20 degree FOV) then want more next Spring. Buy more next Spring then feel guilty about the first purchase. I'm inclined to by once and cry once.

The one I really want, the Pulsar Helion XQ19F, has a 20 degree FOV like the TK, onboard recording capabilities, Wifi, etc., is reasonably priced at $2,200, BUT is only sold in Europe. Bummer.  The one next fitting the wider FOV parameter is the Pulsar XP28 but it is $3.500 and has 640x480 resolution. It would be the cat's meow!

As you so aptly point out, thermal units are perfect for security detail in the parking lot or at a secluded tent site.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 3:45 PM, TritonTr196 said:

If I'm by myself which is rarely, I will wear a strap for a gopro on my back showing everything behind me. I will also be wearing the head strap gopro at the same time. Since I bass fish several days a week I'm always wearing the head strap gopro for the pov when I catch a bass. I took a nice baseball type cap and just put me a liner of foam on the inside. It's not noticeable and makes it more comfortable to wear the head strap for longer periods of time. You can adjust the head strap to make it more loose and not so tight. I just prefer the head strap when out Bigfooting. If you hear something to your sides or behind you, you can turn your head a heck of a lot faster than you can turn your torso if using the chest strap.

I read your post over a year ago and your advice didn't sink in then. I just reread it and think it is an excellent idea to try to catch something that might be following us as we traipse through the forest.  I go out alone most of the time and it wouldn't surprise me to find something was flanking me.

The GoPro set on the back of my head might get lucky enough to pick that up.....and possibly the mountain lion too I never heard coming before it was too late!

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, wiiawiwb said:

I read your post over a year ago and your advice didn't sink in then. I just reread it and think it is an excellent idea to try to catch something that might be following us as we traipse through the forest.  I go out alone most of the time and it wouldn't surprise me to find something was flanking me.

The GoPro set on the back of my head might get lucky enough to pick that up.....and possibly the mountain lion too I never heard coming before it was too late!

Sorry for late reply, I always take a month or two off the internet each new year. When I posted this I guess it sounded like I use a ball cap for the rear viewing gopro, the cap headstrap was to hold the front one. The one on the back is held on by this old harness thing that was used for repelling and splunking I fixed it to hold the camera to film straight behind me. Looks like an old pair of suspenders that is "X" in the middle of the back.

Edited by TritonTr196