How many members do we have that have actually seen one?

53 minutes ago, MIB said:

No, not that, either.   

MIB 

Mmmmkay. I'll defer to your utter expertise in rock kerplunk sounds. Sheesh.

5 hours ago, Explorer said:

Can you please elaborate on why the BF's do not like cameras.

Two wild guesses:

1) Facial recognition is important to them. One's face may be the number one indicator of intent and when hiding one's face behind a camera it is nearly impossible to read intent in one's expression. Animals, no matter what kind, read facial expression for survival around a predator or when competing for food or for reading dominance and threats during mating. It's seems to be all about understanding intent.

2) The obvious experience of aimed weapons use by Humans who hunt.

• Upvote 1

How could they even conceive of "facial recognition?" That technology is unknown to probably half the human population, and yet a different species is thought to comprehend it? C'mon.

At this rate, bigfoot will be compiling fantasy football teams.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Upvote 1

I think he's right about pointing a device of any sort at them.  They can't distinguish between the purpose of one device and the next.

Admin
6 hours ago, hiflier said:

Two wild guesses:

1) Facial recognition is important to them. One's face may be the number one indicator of intent and when hiding one's face behind a camera it is nearly impossible to read intent in one's expression....

That doesn't explain their ability to avoid well hidden trail cameras...  there is a trail cam in them trees aimed at the trail.

IMG_20150716_1313535751.jpg

They may understand the concept of a trap.  A trail cam, if noticed, would qualify as a type of trap.

They may not know what it does, just that it is something to avoid.

Edited by JDL
  • Upvote 1

I like the scenario that says there isn't enough Bigfoot in the vicinity of the camera to hide from it. Or the best one, which is there isn't any Bigfoot there to begin with to be caught on camera. Bigfoot isn't going to notice every camera put out to catch them. So if one did come strolling down the yellow brick road, you would get a picture of it, if Bigfoot was actually in the area and decided on using that route.. Unless someone still uses old style infrared trail cams instead of new technology, . 

They have a well developed instinct for self preservation, & "know" when something isn't right. Even a fly knows when there's a danger of being swatted.

• Upvote 2

I believe you Sasfooty, but as for flies? They sense the increase in air pressure long before your hand reaches them. Fortunately, they haven’t adapted as well to negative pressure changes and that is why a vacuum cleaner works so well.✌️

I don't think you're giving flies enough credit. I've seen them leave the room & not return the instant a fly swatter is picked up.

BFF Patron
23 hours ago, Explorer said:

Can you please elaborate on why the BF's do not like cameras. 

Have they told the property owner on reasons why or no explanations given?

The statement that BFs do not like cameras is common about habituators and is taken as a given, but if these creatures are conscious beings, rational, and communicating with the property owner (per your description above), then they should be able to give a reason for their desire to stay hidden and unknown.  In BFF, plenty of people have provided their opinions on potential reasons, but I will like to know what they say.

I would like to know why too.     One of my theories is that they have seen enough hunters in the woods with rifle scopes, that they have a hard time differentiating between a camera with a lens and a rifle with a scope which has a lens.  

As far as game cameras,  I would guess that most of the time they watch the humans put them up.   Pretty easy to avoid if you know it is there.    Also some do little to disguise the game camera.

One story from a habituator,  if you can believe anything they say, is that they asked a BF that was capable of human speech,   the reason why BF did not like their picture taken.      If you can get past all the if's and innate unbelievable nature of the story in the first place, the answer is more remarkable.    The answer given by the BF is that allowing their picture to be taken is "not permitted."    Not permitted by whom?   That answer leads in a lot of directions, some of which are uncomfortable and way down the rabbit hole.    If speaking BF exist, I certainly would like to know their answer too.   The only time I have heard their speech, it seemed to be a child,   and sounded similar to Korean or Chinese.     Very tonal in nature,  and very fast.     Would be difficult or impossible for a human to learn without a lot of face to face interaction.    I would think it more likely they could learn our language from closely watching us teaching our children than the other way around.      

Edited by SWWASAS

1 hour ago, Sasfooty said:

I don't think you're giving flies enough credit. I've seen them leave the room & not return the instant a fly swatter is picked up.

Ha! You might be right.  They are mysterious critters. 

I think we can all agree that their five senses alone are more acute than ours.  I think they notice "foreign" objects more readily than we do.  Reflective surfaces, changes in texture compared to background, position within the environment, active IR or UV emissions, etc..  Something lost on the ground is different than something strapped to a tree.

As good as they are at concealment, one has to surmise that they are also good at spotting members of their own species who are concealed, simply because they know what to look for.  This expertise would extend to other things.

Cameras are usually positioned where they will have an unobstructed view of the subject.  That means that the subject will have an unobstructed view of the camera's position.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, gigantor said:

That doesn't explain their ability to avoid well hidden trail cameras...  there is a trail cam in them trees aimed at the trail.

WELL HIDDEN???? That camera was the first thing I saw in the picture!

Camera.jpg

Edited by Sasfooty
To add picture.
  • Upvote 1

Admin
13 hours ago, Sasfooty said:

WELL HIDDEN???? That camera was the first thing I saw in the picture!

Camera.jpg

Actually Sasfooty, that's not it.  :lol:

• Upvote 2