Sign in to follow this  
Bill

PGF Research Update

MikeZimmer

Bill, I just found this. Have you been looking at this emerging technology for image enhancement?

http://webdav.tuebingen.mpg.de/pixel/enhancenet/

Abstract

Single image super-resolution is the task of inferring a high-resolution image from a single low-resolution input. Traditionally, the performance of algorithms for this task is measured using pixel-wise reconstruction measures such as peak signal-to-noise ratio (PSNR) which have been shown to correlate poorly with the human perception of image quality. As a result, algorithms minimizing these metrics tend to produce over-smoothed images that lack high-frequency textures and do not look natural despite yielding high PSNR values.

We propose a novel application of automated texture synthesis in combination with a perceptual loss focusing on creating realistic textures rather than optimizing for a pixel-accurate reproduction of ground truth images during training. By using feed-forward fully convolutional neural networks in an adversarial training setting, we achieve a significant boost in image quality at high magnification ratios. Extensive experiments on a number of datasets show the effectiveness of our approach, yielding state-of-the-art results in both quantitative and qualitative benchmarks.

eagle-nn.jpg eagle-e.jpg eagle-pat.jpg
input image highest PSNR our result

Bill

Mike:

Great  Thank you.

I'm a bit challenged now, just survived my first hurricane and we are cleaning up. No power in the home for fifth day now, so I'm in an internet gaming store surrounded by gamers shooting enemies. 

Anyways, when I get power back home and can do serious computer work, I'll check it out more.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Bigfoothunter

^^

I think they are called a Typhoon in that part of the world.   :)

Bill

Bill:

You are correct. It was a category 4 cyclone or typhoon. I just can't break the habit of calling them hurricanes.

:)

Bill

Edited by Bill

SweatyYeti

Since the 'Munns Report' threads are all Closed....I thought I would post this little tidbit of information in this thread....(courtesy of Bill Munns, originally posted in the..."The realism of the PG Film subject cannot be replicated with a costume"...thread). 

Regarding the 5 high-quality prints that Roger had made...possibly on 2 separate occasions...Bill wrote:

"My index of the five (frames) doesn't list frame numbers, but here goes:

1. Probably frame 6 or 7, very earliest clear Patty walking away.

2. The classic F354 (called 352 by most) lookback

3.Patty taking a big stride, in front of the right Sentry Tree to the right of the Big tree. This frame is often used to show foot flexing, I think. But this one is 3x4" and a lessor quality. Not sure why the smaller size.

4.Patty with her right leg disappearing behind the landscape object debris, many frame 330 or there-abouts. Also marked as a 3x4 lessor quality.

5. Patty with left foot straight up so sole of foot is clear, toes still touching the ground. She's directly in front of the big tree. This is a 4x5" , maybe around frame 290-300

So three are 4x5"and two are 3x4"."

At least in this thread, the information has a better chance of not being completely lost/buried.  :) 

And, who knows....it could be years, before those prints of Roger's are ever made available for viewing by the general public. So, I thought it would be good to at least have the information available....for future purposes. 

Patterson-Gimlin
On 11/7/2017 at 1:24 PM, MikeZimmer said:

Bill, I just found this. Have you been looking at this emerging technology for image enhancement?

http://webdav.tuebingen.mpg.de/pixel/enhancenet/

eagle-nn.jpg eagle-e.jpg eagle-pat.jpg
input image highest PSNR our result

Wow .That is very interesting. I would love to see that application used on several images including Freeman's which I consider hoaxed and the awesome

Patterson film.  Thanks for sharing.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:14 PM, Bill said:

Bill:

You are correct. It was a category 4 cyclone or typhoon. I just can't break the habit of calling them hurricanes.

:)

Bill

I understand your plight. i am from Florida . I have had my share of  hurricanes and the devastation they leave behind.

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

Sign in to follow this