NathanFooter

Unknown Nest 10/28/2017 WA

hiflier
BFF Donor

There has always been a nagging question about Gorilla nests. And the question is WHY? Why only use a nest once? What is it archtypically about gorillas that taught them to only use a nest once? Do they "wet the bed"? Does their weight mash them down so that they are no longer comfortable? If so, why not just throw more stuff on top? That seems to be what their, and our, North American cousins do. Is it their way of keeping a certain amount of canopy exposed and new growth occurring? Do they do these things intentionally or is it just instinct? I guess I am curios about what initiated that instinct in the first place.

Huntster

I suspect that since gorillas are grazers, they just keep moving on. If sasquatches are nomadic, they may use theirs seasonally. For example, as long as the anadromous fish arrive, spawn, and hang in a particular stream, the sasquatch will use a nest in that drainage. Maybe a couple weeks to a month. Then they move on when the fishing dies down.

SWWASAS

How many scientists have looked at these nests?   The young woman in the above picture is a grad student from what I remember.     I am sure Meldrum is aware of them as he was at the Conference where the discovery was first presented.     It occurs to me that finding a bunch of nests produced by some unknown animal has to be provoking some interest in the science community.     I doubt that most want to pin it on BF,   but if it is not BF what is it?     Some previously unknown bear behavior?    The way stuff is broken off suggests hands.       Sort of seems like main stream science is getting a big dose of "you got some explaining to do".   

Huntster
6 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

........Sort of seems like main stream science is getting a big dose of "you got some explaining to do".   

To whom? That's why these guys love their cabal: there's no authority. 

NathanFooter
On 1/24/2019 at 8:36 AM, SWWASAS said:

How many scientists have looked at these nests?   The young woman in the above picture is a grad student from what I remember.     I am sure Meldrum is aware of them as he was at the Conference where the discovery was first presented.     It occurs to me that finding a bunch of nests produced by some unknown animal has to be provoking some interest in the science community.     I doubt that most want to pin it on BF,   but if it is not BF what is it?     Some previously unknown bear behavior?    The way stuff is broken off suggests hands.       Sort of seems like main stream science is getting a big dose of "you got some explaining to do".   

The beautiful young woman in the photo is a high school teacher who also happens to be my wife, LOL. 😉

This nest find was completely separate from the Olympics Nest find,  David Ellis has a daughter who is a physical anthropologist  if I am not mistaken and was also photographed in one of the Olympic nests.