Jump to content
norseman

Dont feed the trolls!

Recommended Posts

Old Dog

Excellent article Norse, thanks for sharing this.  I have always believed the best response to trolls is the ignore button.  Anything else, and I mean anything, just feeds them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wolfjewel

Hey Norse and Old Dog -- you are right on! Wish everyone followed the article's advice. Several members of the BFF still respond to the members who troll. The Ignore button would be sooo much more effective. Don't engage with them. Don't defend yourself. If you want to comment on the Content of their message without defending yourself Personally, is that OK? Prolly, but a case by case situation. Of course this is all IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman

I find myself engaging people Ive put on ignore! Im an idiot! 

 

If we proponents figured out how much time we spent defending the subject and ourselves from trolls I think we would be shocked. That time could have been better spent having polite rational discussions with fellow forumites. Skeptics can be polite and contribute positively too. But there is alot of trolling going on in the name of "skepticism". Edgey one liners on the cusp of forum rules is not a well thought out opinion by a poster..... Its a weapon used to stir up people, illicit responses and derail the thread. Nothing more. It can also bait legit posters into saying something that gets us in to trouble.

 

Lastly we have no need to feel like they hold the upper hand because "Bigfoot is a fairy tale". Its a free country and we can talk about Bigfoot on a Bigfoot forum.....thank you. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfoothunter
38 minutes ago, norseman said:

I find myself engaging people Ive put on ignore! Im an idiot! 

 

If we proponents figured out how much time we spent defending the subject and ourselves from trolls I think we would be shocked. That time could have been better spent having polite rational discussions with fellow forumites. Skeptics can be polite and contribute positively too. But there is alot of trolling going on in the name of "skepticism". Edgey one liners on the cusp of forum rules is not a well thought out opinion by a poster..... Its a weapon used to stir up people, illicit responses and derail the thread. Nothing more. It can also bait legit posters into saying something that gets us in to trouble.

 

Lastly we have no need to feel like they hold the upper hand because "Bigfoot is a fairy tale". Its a free country and we can talk about Bigfoot on a Bigfoot forum.....thank you.

 

Well said. I have several ignore, but I do still respond to those who quote them. Maybe I should not do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MIB

Yes ... I've half-typed several responses to various posts, then deleted without posting because the person I was replying to is either too stupid to understand or too dishonest to admit it.   At some point, frustration takes over.    ... I'm not sure putting them on ignore is a victory either, just a different loss.   They still amount to graphite in the reactor keeping intelligent discussion from happening.  

 

The other approach is to use the report function.  Don't just talk about it.  Don't leave it for someone else.  Don't expect the very busy mods / admins to notice objectionable posts ... you have a role in this as well: hit the report button.   Especially if you think an over-the-top response deserves an emotional reaction that YOU will be reported for, report first.  If you're feeling that, at some level, you're probably sensing trolling or other dishonesty.   REPORT.   I have been.   You should too.

 

MIB

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfoothunter

^^

 

The report function is probably the best course of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier

I have used it too, squeaky wheel ya know. The current modus operandi of skeptics is more personal but generally they are here to agitate. I won't place them on ignore but I will from now on ignore them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti

 

Great idea for a thread, Norse. :thumbsup:   As you could probably guess....I'm all for not feeding the trolls...and, ignoring them.  :beach: 

 

MIB wrote:

Quote

Yes ... I've half-typed several responses to various posts, then deleted without posting because the person I was replying to is either too stupid to understand or too dishonest to admit it.   At some point, frustration takes over.   ... I'm not sure putting them on ignore is a victory either, just a different loss.   They still amount to graphite in the reactor keeping intelligent discussion from happening.  

 

The other approach is to use the report function.  Don't just talk about it.  Don't leave it for someone else.  Don't expect the very busy mods / admins to notice objectionable posts ... you have a role in this as well: hit the report button.  

MIB

 

 

IMHO, MIB...putting the scoffers, and trolls on 'Ignore' most certainly is a victory. Ignoring them...either via the 'Ignore' button, or by just simply ignoring their posts, is a way of shutting them off.  If they don't get responses/EGO food......eventually, they will go away. 

 

One way of looking at it is.....if responding to the trolls is 'ego food', and hence...guarantees that they will stick around, and continue they're game-playing....then that would not be the thing to do.  Logically, the better course of action would be to do just the opposite.....ignore them. 

 

 

Also, as I recently said....(in a recent post)....the analysis of the PGF has continued to build in favor of the film being legit...so much so, that the skeptics/scoffers and trolls simply have not a chance in wherever, of ever refuting the pro-Bigfoot analysis.  The only thing they have is 'talk'.....(of the worthless variety).  The battle over the PGF has effectively been won....within the confines of the BFF. The proponents can show many details on Patty which match details seen on real Primates....many of which, they cannot show matching details on suits. 

 

So, we don't need to bother countering every last little bit of garbage analysis they post. :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twist

Here and on other forums I've found there are those that feel the need to argue or defend a position against the trolls as if its a civic duty, its the nature of message boards it would seem.  There are also some that just like to argue for the sake of arguing.  mehhh, we all come here for different reasons.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti
45 minutes ago, Twist said:

Here and on other forums I've found there are those that feel the need to argue or defend a position against the trolls as if its a civic duty, its the nature of message boards it would seem.  There are also some that just like to argue for the sake of arguing.  mehhh, we all come here for different reasons.  

 

 

Some right reasons......and some wrong reasons.  

 

Some of those wrong reasons are....scoffing....ridiculing....insulting.....inflaming.....and twisting the truth. 

Edited by SweatyYeti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twist
6 minutes ago, SweatyYeti said:

 

 

Some right reasons......and some wrong reasons.  

 

Some of those wrong reasons are....scoffing....ridiculing....insulting.....inflaming.....and twisting the truth. 

 

Not sure if you are just using a play on my name because you quoted my post or are you trying to imply something?  Either way, there's nothing within your post I can disagree with. :huh:

Edited by Twist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier

A suggestion: if I choose the ignore button them we all must do it? That's added insurance that we won't even see their posts in order to quote them and I know, I know, I'm one of the worst offenders here. Because if someone quotes them then the ignore feature gets bypassed. Oh yeah, one can teach an old dog new tricks and I'm an obvious case where that is concerned :) Until I make the decision to place the Pumpkin Patch on ignore I promise to at least not quote them out of respect for the ones who use the ignore feature

Edited by hiflier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SweatyYeti
1 hour ago, Twist said:

 

Not sure if you are just using a play on my name because you quoted my post or are you trying to imply something?  Either way, there's nothing within your post I can disagree with. :huh:

 

 

No, Twist...I wasn't implying anything, with regards to you, with the use of the word 'twist'. 

 

I'm glad you agree with my thinking, on the matter. :) 

 

 

59 minutes ago, hiflier said:

A suggestion: if I choose the ignore button them we all must do it? That's added insurance that we won't even see their posts in order to quote them and I know, I know, I'm one of the worst offenders here. Because if someone quotes them then the ignore feature gets bypassed. Oh yeah, one can teach an old dog new tricks and I'm an obvious case where that is concerned :)

 

Sure, when members quote skeptics...people, like myself, can see what they've written....but that's not really an issue, for me.  I'm not afraid to see what garbage they've posted....I can still ignore it. I am just taking a stand against the garbage they post. That's one reason why I have that noted in my signature line.....so others can see that I have made the effort to completely ignore what they post.

 

Others can join me, if they want. In the meantime....at least some of their "contributions" are blocked, from my view.  

 

 

Quote

 Until I make the decision to place the Pumpkin Patch on ignore I promise to at least not quote them out of respect for the ones who use the ignore feature.

 

 

Thank you very much, hiflier. It's appreciated! :) 

Edited by SweatyYeti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×