norseman

Dont feed the trolls!

Guest Bigfoothunter
5 hours ago, norseman said:

Comparing Hiflier with some of our worst offenders here is a joke IMO. 

Either you have not spent much time posting around him. Or your just anxious to show the other side posts "personal attacks" too.

How thin skinned do you need to be to be offended by the term "Pumpkin patch"?

Some people pretend  to be skeptics, but post as scofters.

Wise quote:  " A skoftic on the other hand is beyond contempt, all they want to do is burn it all down and claim victory.  I do not give that type the time of day."

Guest Starling
2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

This sentence really makes me wonder what kind of life experiences some posters have.  I am not talking skeptics and believers.  For instance, Cops, nurses, and so on have a better understanding of what someone may claim having interviewed and interacted with 1,000s of people in the public.  They are not perfect but they get a better read on people or things than someone who works in the basement of an insurance office by themselves for 30 years.

To me the issue posted by WSA (which is posted by a learned and real life example kind of person) is illustrating a reality of dealing with certain types of people in certain situations.  The issue as I read it is:

1- WSA is a lawyer defending a client with all the duties which go with that

2-  The factual issue did not at all involve WSA client.  Easier to point that out to the other guy and that way we nip this in the bud.   If he later wishes to serve his client by going after the responsible party fine but WSA and his client have no interest to allow the situation to persist.

3-  The guy was blinded by his own position forcing WSA to defend something.  This cost time, effort and money.  

4- In the end the other guy was proven wrong and as a side note, lost the opportunity for his client to recover from the actual party liable for his clients grief.

To have Starling tell it, Starling seems to have some need to just jumps and chooses to label the learned man offering an example to say he is full of himself.   Starling-missing the larger point- apparently would have the attorney spend clients time and money by not communicating the obvious to the other side. 

I hate to say it Starling but to me it seems you either:

1- are upset a smart person accomplished in the world and in the area of professional expertise is clear, smart, and concise, in making a point.  Yet that person does not come to the same Bigfoot conclusion as you so they must be attacked as someone coming across as 'wise elder...."    You spend so much time trying to be a skeptic you cant just take a comment about some real world common sense, agree and understand it, and then move on still believing that Bigfoot does not exist.   

2- it is possible you lack the life experiences or work in a career where you are possibly not required to have certain realities, responsibilities and so on as a high level professional dealing in multiple things.  I may be conficts, regulations, interviewing or interacting with people 100s of times a month, and so on.  Most professional deal in various conflicts on a regular basis.

Most accountants, nurses, lawyers, plumbers, or whatever would clearly understand what WSA is saying here in his example.  They experience things like this all the time while some others will go their whole career never having experiences like that but only a few times their entire life.   These are the interactions of many professionals from many walks of life have in the day to day world.   

I am not trying to pick a fight or anything.  It just seems to me this is such an obvious thing not worth looking to make it anything more that it is. --->   Wise elder basically looking down on others.  I don't think so.  

Dmaker had it right. Nice defense by back doc but once again the mote in the eye. It's always the other guys fault. 

This is the mentality of those who point the troll finger.

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Not really, Starling. You are intelligent and smart as your recent posts here have demonstrated- better by far than what you post elsewhere in tone as well as in your attempts to reason with others. You mentioned this:

Whether I'm thin skinned or not- and folks in the Tar Pit will tell you- I can hold my own, as you know from our own exchanges. And so can you, but you and I getting into a pissing contest every time we engage is pointless. WRT the use of the word 'mythical, there are subtleties that intelligent people are aware of here on both sides of a debate.  Just calling something mythical instead of saying "I think it's mythical" places the barb that I am somehow following some fantasy. And even if the 'vast majority' thinks Sasquatch IS a myth then anyone comeing here to engage someone might do better by saying, "Look I think Sasquatch is a myth". And once people see where one stands then let it go. I have read the word 'mythical' coming from skeptics many, many times. But mostly the overuse of the word is purposefully employed to send the 'you believe in a fantasy' message.

I really don't think I need to spell this kind of methodology out for you do I? You are already keenly aware of these kinds of mechanisms in debate situations. It has nothing to do with whether or not I have thick or thin skin. And it really has nothing to do with whether or not Sasquatch is a myth. It goes far beyond that.The use of such triggers as 'mythical' does pretty well for setting the tone and the stage for head butting. It sends a message that one is looking for a fight. Subtle? Sure it is- but then that's the game isn't it? Oh, and I have not put you on ignore, Starling ;) I read your real post not the fully quoted one. Debate is cool. I'm 68 years old and still appreciate a good healthy one in which questions from both sides get asked and good logical reasons for why something is or isn't gets explained. That's the best game in town as far as I'm concerned.

Do you really think pre-fixing a sentence with ' I think ' is going to remove the perceived barb enough so that delicate sensibilities don't get 'triggered'?

salubrious
On 11/28/2017 at 3:23 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

I don't believe you.

(Tongue firmly in cheek.)

:lol: Good one! plussed

I hardly believe it myself, but I'm stuck with it.

hiflier
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, Starling said:

Do you really think pre-fixing a sentence with ' I think ' is going to remove the perceived barb enough so that delicate sensibilities don't get 'triggered'?

Thank you for agreeing with me :) 

• Upvote 1

SweatyYeti

It's kinda laughable....(in a sad way).....a thread entitled "Don't feed the Trolls!" is now in full "Feed the Troll" mode.  

So, what's the consensus.....should we feed them, or not?? Anyone?... :popcorn: 

4 hours ago, Backdoc said:

This series of sentences here are Genius.   This will serve me well in life as I go forward when I weigh out the intent of others.  

I'm sorry to say, Backdoc....but I rather doubt it will.

I know I advised you several years ago, not long after you joined this forum....that you would be sadly disappointed, in your quest to find agreement with the scoffers.

Here is one of those statements....(one of my very own "Statements of Genius"  :bbq:   ).....to you, from 2013...

The comments are always the same, Backdoc.....they are either "comparisons don't mean anything...it's all 'scribbling with crayons'"....or, it's.....No Comment. 

I've seen it time and time again, over the course of the last 7-8 years. So, don't hold your breath waiting for something interesting.

norseman
BFF Donor

I think people can butt heads in here about what it is to troll. Thats fine. So long as they implement what we have talked about forum wide.

Im really tired of fighting. Being a pro kill proponent on this forum I definitely feel the hate from both sides. I actually have more proponents on ignore than skeptics. Sad but true. Yanno Im just a heartless Rambo wannabe that will never understand the mystic rainbow of Bigfoot love.

Because I would kill it and offer it up to science to dissect makes me a vile creature.

SweatyYeti
12 minutes ago, norseman said:

I think people can butt heads in here about what it is to troll. Thats fine. So long as they implement what we have talked about forum wide.

Im really tired of fighting. Being a pro kill proponent on this forum I definitely feel the hate from both sides. 

I don't hate the scoftics, and trolls, Norse. 'Hate' is a very negative, and hostile attitude, to choose to have. I just hate talking with them. Because, very simply....it's a waste of time. :) 

One other reason....I don't like feeding the Ego of someone who is here to play games, and insult people. 

Edited by SweatyYeti

norseman
BFF Donor

I never said you did. I apologize if my post made you feel that way sweaty.

SweatyYeti

^

No need to apologize, norse. :)   I wasn't thinking you were referring to any specific individuals, on either side of the fence.

I was just trying to make a point....(using myself as an example)....that there doesn't need to be "hatred", on the part of either proponents, or skeptics. 

xspider1

Strawling:  If you really think that your presence here is 'keeping us honest about the big monkeys' then I'd say you are very mistaken.  Maybe just admit that most Bigfoot scoff-tics who post ad nauseam on Bigfoot discussion boards either vastly overrate their importance to the subject and/or they are trying to convince themselves of their own failing belief;)   </troll food>

• Upvote 2

Guest Starling

Childish slur aside, If this were a religious board I might agree with you. But it is not. 

What you seem to demand is the right pursue your faith without judgement or persecution by infidels. When in fact the majority of proponents are here to discuss the possibility of the scientifically verifiable existence of sasquatch. Sorry, this makes it fair game for discussion on both sides of the fence.  So take your chances and stop trying to have your cake and eat it. 

What you're really griping about is that your case is too weak to put anyone you choose to call a 'troll' to bed in the crucible of open debate.

Why don't you just admit that?

No need. You already have.

Edited by Starling

Backdoc
5 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

I don't hate the scoftics, and trolls, Norse. 'Hate' is a very negative, and hostile attitude, to choose to have. I just hate talking with them. Because, very simply....it's a waste of time. :) 

One other reason....I don't like feeding the Ego of someone who is here to play games, and insult people. 

Tell me how to put someone on ignore.  It's time I take your advice SY.  

• Upvote 1

norseman
BFF Donor

Click on your profile name top right of forum page.

Drop down menu will have a “ignored user” option, click it.

There will a box in which to type the posters name into.

SweatyYeti
2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

Tell me how to put someone on ignore.  It's time I take your advice SY.  

Glad to hear that, Backdoc! :) 

The more these folks are ignored....the better.  They add absolutely nothing of value to the discussions, and analysis.  Or, at the very least....the negatives they bring far outweigh any thing of value, that they may contribute. 

Edited by SweatyYeti