norseman

Thinker Thunker size comparison of Patty

wiiawiwb

That comparison would never enter into my thought process. I don't presume sasquatch is an animal. I think it is near-human/human and the absolute master of its domain bar none. Whether I am right or wrong it is the perspective from which I look at all issues related to it.

• Upvote 2

MIB

Absolutely!   Anyone thinking otherwise is underestimating their opponent.   You don't win games of strategy against those you underestimate to protect a misguided sense of superiority over.   Better to waste a little effort via over-estimating than to waste all efforts under-estimating.   That's just how it is.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Patterson-Gimlin

I like the drone idea as well.  I know they have been used in several areas. I have seen some footage captured by them .

Some of them compelling and interesting. I actually know people that use them in remote places in  the woods where I live near.

Of course  lots of interesting footage.  . Sadly,no elusive man apes just common wildlife. I have friends that actually believe in the creature .

One older gentleman claims to observed one near water in a  heavily wooded area I am familiar with. His drone did not capture any footage.

When I pointed out to him he had to be mistaken.  He became irritated and told me buddy boy. I know what I seen. :)

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

norseman
BFF Donor
On 12/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, Backdoc said:

Your video here makes it clear to me you would really need infrared, night vision, or some other thing like it.  I say this because when I watch this video it looks like you could easily fly over a person hiking and miss them.  

If some drone or similar footage was designed just to 'see' bigfoot on sky video, then just flying over and doing a playback might make sense.   If what we want is more of a real time reaction to what we see it would just seem we would need night vision or other detection.  That way a second or third drone could react and double check what is suspected on the first one.

This video which is somewhat open countryside is still able to hide a lot of things which would include a person or animal.   Now if someone or something was drinking out of the creek Patty Style then I think it could be seen on the drone and the drone could react.  Apart from the open creek/riverbed you have to have night vision/ heat vision. 

I posted the video to demonstrate that aircraft do in fact operate in some wilderness areas in the US. Not that flying aircraft around searching for Bigfoot would prove anything nor drones for that matter.

I did just order Lume cubes for my drone though. Very powerful search lights.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, MIB said:

Is it legal to fly a drone that high?   I thought the regs I saw said 500 feet or below only.   

Thinking of ducking ... funny thing, I don't know why I do it, but I duck behind trees when I hear planes and helicopters go over.   I have nothing to hide, but hide I do.   And, on an even more tangential tangent, there's a mountain not so far away that has been completely flattened on top by mining creating a "table top" a few hundred yards across in any direction.   It is a hub with streams feeding several rivers originating on various parts of the slope so it should be a great place to record sounds from lots of directions.  I'd like to camp on top with recorders slightly over the side.   Problem: that place creeps me out.   Feels like sitting on top of an altar waiting to be sacrificed.   I recognize the irrationality, but still ... visceral shudder.  

MIB

It depends on the topography or obstacles like buildings.

But where I fly is in the middle of nowhere. And I find that the FAA is concentrated in major urban areas. I know bush pilots that have never possessed a pilots license or medical card. They just fly. So I would not be overly concerned with the drone rules unless I was close to an urban area and airports, etc. 

MIB

And absolutely, you're right, in some areas here which have established strips predating wilderness designation, fly-in / fly-out is allowed.   That doesn't apply to the area I'm interested in.   No roads, no air strip, no water travel.   Pack stock or "Shank's mare" only.   Reminds me ... I found remains of a very old pole shelter not too far from the swamp.    Sun bleached logs with sawed ends.   Looked like a lean-to, shed roof, open sides.   I suspect it must have dated back to the 1930s or 1940s when there was a USFS "station" nearby.  

One of my side interests is relocating those old pack trails in the area and tracing them with GPS so the routes are not lost to history.

MIB

norseman
BFF Donor

It’s too bad the local chapter of the back country horsemen isn’t still cutting them out for use.

MIB

I don't know if we have exactly a group like that.    We have 4 groups that I know of doing trail work.    Of course, USFS, but their budget is volatile.   2 winters back we had a monster snow load and a lot of wind following two drought winters so everything fell down all at once.   They only hand 2 people on the crew for the whole western half of "my" wilderness.  They worked half the summer just getting the roads to trailheads open and only got a couple of the most major trails repaired by summer's end.   This year they had 6-8 people plus a packer with livestock hauling their camping gear, food, and water.   We have a volunteer group, the Siskiyou Mountain Club, that offers summer internships in the form of slave labor behind big hand saws to college students going into outdoor recreation careers which is doing at least half of all trail maintenance in my corner of the state.   I've donated my camping gear as I upgrade and replace stuff to them.  I've benefited a lot from their efforts.   The last group is Oregon Hunter's Association.   They have quite a few members and quite a few volunteers with pack stock.  

If we did have a back country horseman's group, I'd like to locate them even though I don't have horses.   Horse people are usually pretty darn good folks, down to earth, practical.   I like horses as long as I don't have to ride them.

norseman
BFF Donor

Ride a mule! :)

https://www.bcho.org/

Backdoc
BFF Donor
14 hours ago, norseman said:

I posted the video to demonstrate that aircraft do in fact operate in some wilderness areas in the US. Not that flying aircraft around searching for Bigfoot would prove anything nor drones for that matter.

I understand.  I do think that video shows how difficult it would be to see some Bigfoot or whatever on the ground from the air.   Forgetting the cost involved in whatever method a person chooses to have an eye in the sky, I think it would be difficult to spot some animal like a bigfoot unless it was a brighter day/ conditions, it was out in the open like a creek bed, and so on.   If a video records it then we are looking at a video hours or days later and limited by the distance.   The subject is long gone.   

I remember seeing a video of Nakumaru Island thought to be the small Atoll where Amelia Erharts plane went down according to TIHGAR.   That video flyover features the island from the sky and if a person is not looking closely they miss the people standing on the junction of the beach where it meets the start of the jungle.   The video's purpose is just to show a flyover of the small island.   However, in that flyover, we can see how difficult it would be to spot a person at that distance waving at the plane.  

If bigfoot is in some woods and a eye in the sky comes by what are the odds they would see the animal on the ground.   Without enhanced cameras like night vision or heat vision I would say the odds are near impossible.  I still go back to the thread SEARCHING WHAT IS REQUIRED here on the BFF where 1000's of people, dogs, helecopters and so on took nearly one week to find a lost autistic boy.

I still think one would need:

1-  A credible report of some recent sightings/ tracks/ or activity that is fresh

2-  A massive attack upon the area with enough numbers before the trail goes cold. (nice tech would be an added bonus)

3-  A search to that area with a tiny band in stealth mode dedicated to looking as hard and as long at it took while not scaring the animal off.  That is, no 4 wheelers and so on.

When we consider searching for bigfoot or some other person or animal by air we need to consider just how hard it is to look for known animals/ lost people/ fugitives and so on.  Often it is not as easy as it sounds.

norseman
BFF Donor

Lots of men with rifles on horseback would be my preferred search "proof" method. :)

Scouting by plane or drone though might produce results that could at least give you a starting point.

hiflier
BFF Donor

Especially if one or a couple were close to an area and got the report of a sighting directly called into them. If you could organize such a network around your area, while it wouldn't guarantee capture or bringing one in, it may guarantee the second sighting in your life of at least a trackway :) It would be no small find either, Norseman. Then a larger search plan with more horsemen could be launched in a wider circle or semi-circle ahead of the direction of travel while a couple could stay close behind around the report site to cut off a retreat or an evasion route? 

So yeah, I agree more would be better in this case.

MIB

I think realistically you need two people or more as a unit-team whether it's by plane or by drone.   You need one person to operate the craft and focus on that only and let others do the ground examination if you're doing anything but a superficial ground exam.   Certainly what Randy has described leads me to conclude that regarding planes and I would think it would be somewhat similar for drones ... could be wrong.

MIB

norseman
BFF Donor

I think it would be different for drones.

A drone is like a flying set of eyeballs. Especially with aids like fat shark googles. And my phantom 4 has obstacle sensors. I cannot fly into a tree or a building for example. The drone will just stop, no matter the stick input. So the pilot is seeing exactly what the drone camera is seeing all the time. And it also can hover, rotate on axis and zoom. As well as fly down into canopy where you wouldn’t dare take a aircraft.

But is would be fun to have a external feed going to a big screen TV in a war room where a group of people could passively watch for targets, just as another level of visual aids in case the pilot missed something.

SweatyYeti
10 hours ago, hiflier said:

Especially if one or a couple were close to an area and got the report of a sighting directly called into them. If you could organize such a network around your area, while it wouldn't guarantee capture or bringing one in, it may guarantee the second sighting in your life of at least a trackway :) It would be no small find either, Norseman. Then a larger search plan with more horsemen could be launched in a wider circle or semi-circle ahead of the direction of travel while a couple could stay close behind around the report site to cut off a retreat or an evasion route? 

So yeah, I agree more would be better in this case.

That would be the main benefit of searching an area with drones, hiflier.....not so much the potential video, itself...but the drone's ability to spot the creatures...and at close enough of a range that they could be recognized as to what the beings are.....(men, or sasquatches). From there, ground searches could be made. 

Drones have great potential for helping to solve this mystery...because of features such as flying at low altitude, being able to hover, and being manually controlled, with a camera on-board. Also, as time goes on....the number of drones out there will increase. 

I think that, when it comes to searching for the creatures...drones have the best potential, for finding/spotting them. If we can't find them using drones....over the course of the next 10 - 20 years.....then I'd say it's very likely that they just aren't out there. That wouldn't necessarily mean they never existed, though. It is possible for species to go extinct....and that may be happening with the Sasquatch species. 

Twist

As time goes on, increased battery life thus airtime will be a big help, that is the one drawback I see so far in regards to drones.   If they can get up to an hour or two that would greatly increase their usefulness.