norseman

Thinker Thunker size comparison of Patty

PBeaton

Need a little longer of a ride...but cool. :) 

Edited by PBeaton

Patterson-Gimlin

I have always wanted one of those since watching Jonny Quest in the 1060s

• Upvote 1

norseman
BFF Donor

Greatest cartoon ever!

6AE070EF-48C6-4BB8-B3F7-F030CCCA517D.png

• Upvote 3

Airdale

Roger that Norse, have to check if there's any of them on YouTube. Cover doesn't get much better than a 'dozer blade, and it's mobile. This doesn't provide cover or concealment, but it is very mobile and doesn't require extensive training to fly. 

Edited by Airdale

Redbone
SSR Team

I saw a presentation on the PG film by Daniel Perez yesterday at the Nebraska BF Conference. His new (to me) information is about a stick that can be seen in the PGF that has been recovered and saved The stick is 26" long. Patty very nearly steps on this particular stick so we can use it to directly measure Patty's height. Sadly, I missed the last few minutes of his presentation as I was meeting a cousin for lunch and was already 1/2 late (his presentation ran long). However... I believe his conclusion is flawed. Doing my own work using a 26" stick and Jim McClarin is 7 1/2 feet tall. The problem lies in not knowing at what angle the stick is in regards to the camera. Using Jim McClarin as a gauge, we can work backwards and say the stick (as seen) represents about 19 inches, making Patty 6 1/2 feet tall (walking height).

I have some errands to run but I'll share the pictures and the math a little later...

If anyone wants to help - do so by telling me which version of Jim McClarin is at the same distance as the stick in this image. If there is consensus I'll use that to dial in the calculations. I think it's the 2nd one.

An issue I'll still have to work out is that the stick appears in a different location in the McClarin recreation as it does in the PGF, presumably because of camera angle. I'm hopeful that it makes little difference as long as we scale properly.

JM Stick.jpg

Edited by Redbone

Twist

Appreciate the work you put into this Redbone but if we are starting off with estimated information how accurate can the results really be?  To use a common phrase, garbage in = garbage out.   Not that I think you work is garbage but estimate in = estimate out, right?  

Backdoc
BFF Donor

^^^^

Redbone,

How do we know that stick has been recovered?   When did this happen and how likely is it the stick is the stick and maintained its length.

Edited by Backdoc

Bill

For a research project, I would like to contact Thinker Thunker. If he's a member of this forum and sees this, would you message me through the forum.

If anyone here has contact info for him, and could share it with me, I would appreciate a message regarding that.

Thank you.

JustCurious

I know the stick was recovered when Rene Dahinden and John Green visited the site.  I think it might be in Dahinden's book. 

Squatchy McSquatch
On 5/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, Bill said:

For a research project, I would like to contact Thinker Thunker. If he's a member of this forum and sees this, would you message me through the forum.

If anyone here has contact info for him, and could share it with me, I would appreciate a message regarding that.

Thank you.

Bill how tall was Patty?

Bill

you never cease to amaze me, with your ability to connect utterly unrelated things, as if you somehow thought the things had a meaningful connection.

I am at a loss to reply in the language of your alternate reality.

Backdoc
BFF Donor

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Squatchy McSquatch said:

Bill how tall was Patty?

Patty is 6'5''

How do I know for sure?  A complete guess on my part. 

My feeling flips between 6'3'' tall to as tall as 6'8''.  I settle at this time for 6'5'' in a complete guess.  I really have no idea but feel Patty is at least near equal to Jim M.

How tall do you think Patty is, SM?

Squatchy McSquatch

I think Patty was as tall as the guy who wore the suit, plus a few more inches for the headpiece.

Backdoc
BFF Donor
16 hours ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

I think Patty was as tall as the guy who wore the suit, plus a few more inches for the headpiece.

Sounds good.  I assume this person- be they 5'11'' tall or 6'2'' or whatever- has normal proportions or a normal man.  

So if the guy is of 'X height' plus a 'few more inches' for the headpiece, how does that same person 1) fit into the arm length?  2) bend at the pivot points which are significantly diff than the basic joint locations of a man?

We can agree if Patty is a person in a suit then such a person must not just fit in the suit but must accomplish the walk of Patty at least as well as Patty accomplishes it.  Since a skeptic must agree with that, how was that accomplished esp in 1967?