norseman

Thinker Thunker size comparison of Patty

Patterson-Gimlin
On 6/7/2019 at 1:13 AM, norseman said:

Here is a MK Davis comparison video.

Thanks for sharing. That is the first time I ever saw this. I have always thought the film subject was as tall as me .

Backdoc

Possibly a repeat but a interesting video:

wiiawiwb

Very interesting video. The other aspect of the walk I doubt very much was replicated in the lab test is the 41" step of Patty. 

The actor wore running shorts and sneakers. Have him put on a heavy suit, head piece,  and large footwear (14.5") then try it on sandbar.

OkieFoot
1 hour ago, Backdoc said:

Possibly a repeat but a interesting video:

Bd, I've seen the video before and it's an example of the saying "the devil's in the details." It's one thing to eyeball someone trying to replicate the walk and think they did a good job but when you start doing a more detailed comparison, things start to look different. 

Wiiawiwb also makes a important point about how the subject was on a hard lab floor in shorts and athletic shoes and not on a sandbar in a fur suit. 

SweatyYeti
Posted (edited)

My favorite part of TT's video is where TT points-out Patty's exceptionally low elbow... :) ...

TT-Elbow-F1-B.jpg

Welcome to the Club, TT. What Took Took you so long??  :popcorn: 

Of course, there is also the exceptionally short...or, at the very least....not excessively long, lower-arm...(i.e....'arm extensions')...

F347-F360-ArmBend-Matt-AG1.gif

Here is a good example of what 'arm extensions' can do for you...

King-Kong-Arms-Patty-Comp1.jpg

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Sad 1

Gigantofootecus

Patty's height +/- 3 inches.

Hgt5.jpg

• Upvote 1

SweatyYeti

Welcome back to the forum, Giganto! Glad to see you posting again.  :) 

Lately, I have been working with the film images of the segment where Patty passes behind trees TC-1 and TC-2...and producing a model for that segment of the film....which includes the TC-1, TC-2, Camera triangle....the angle of the trees' shadows/position of the sun...and Patty's path through those shadows. 

I'm trying to determine the maximum distance that Patty could have been, behind tree TC-2. It's looking like it could only have been a few...to several...feet, at most.

That 'maximum distance' would be a key figure, in comparing Patty's height to Jim McClarin's….because, on John Green's filmsite measurement diagram...he has Jim's path as being 30' behind TC-2. 

Also, from the data contained in that segment of the film...I have been able to determine the time of the filming. It was significantly later than 1:30. I'd like to send you some graphics, showing how I derived that...via PM....if you're interested. 

gigantor
25 minutes ago, SweatyYeti said:

I'd like to send you some graphics, showing how I derived that...via PM....if you're interested. 

FYI,. you can't attach files in PMs

Incorrigible1

Good to see you, Giganto. Hope you stick around.

SweatyYeti
5 hours ago, gigantor said:

FYI,. you can't attach files in PMs

Oh, o.k....thanks for the info, gigantor. :) 

hiflier
3 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

Oh, o.k....thanks for the info, gigantor. :) 

You can copy and paste text files like .pdf's though ;) 

Gigantofootecus
10 hours ago, SweatyYeti said:

Welcome back to the forum, Giganto! Glad to see you posting again.  :) 

Lately, I have been working with the film images of the segment where Patty passes behind trees TC-1 and TC-2...and producing a model for that segment of the film....which includes the TC-1, TC-2, Camera triangle....the angle of the trees' shadows/position of the sun...and Patty's path through those shadows. 

I'm trying to determine the maximum distance that Patty could have been, behind tree TC-2. It's looking like it could only have been a few...to several...feet, at most.

That 'maximum distance' would be a key figure, in comparing Patty's height to Jim McClarin's….because, on John Green's filmsite measurement diagram...he has Jim's path as being 30' behind TC-2. 

Also, from the data contained in that segment of the film...I have been able to determine the time of the filming. It was significantly later than 1:30. I'd like to send you some graphics, showing how I derived that...via PM....if you're interested. 

Thanks SY, my previous post gives you the tools to measure how far away Patty was from the camera using the "Arm Ruler". Any frame that shows her full arm length and is not foreshortened (parallel to the focal plane) you can use the lens equation to get the distance from the camera. This is providing a 25mm lens was used and you know the height of a full frame of film. With 1 good distance measure, you can extrapolate her distances with each 41" step at ~40 deg away from the camera. Then see how that jibes with the arm ruler.

Then compare the historical distance from TC-2 with Patty's calculated distance and see if they are even in the ballpark. I think she is only a few feet from TC-2 when she passed behind it.

SweatyYeti
57 minutes ago, hiflier said:

You can copy and paste text files like .pdf's though ;) 

Oh, o.k.....thanks for the info, hiflier. ;)  

I was thinking I could also include links to images/graphics, of mine, in the PM. 

Hopefully Giganto will be interested in checking my analysis, of the 'time of day' of the filming. 

Here is a graphic....using a Topographical Map....which shows the direction of 'Due North'....(the 'starting point', for determining the sun's position at the time of filming)…

FilmsiteTOPOMap-GPSCoordinates1NorthSout

The two crosses are both on the same Longitudinal Line....and hence, the line I drew between them constitutes a true 'North/South' Line.

The Line perfectly parallels the "Bowling Alley" section of Bluff Creek....and therefore orients the objects/trees on the sandbar, relative to 'Due North'. 

Here is a crop of Steven Streufert, and Crew's 'Filmsite Measurement' Diagram....on which I have plotted the tree's shadows...(not on this particular image, though)...

BBM-Diagram1-Crop2.jpg

The N/S Line they drew on their diagram is consistent with the N/S Line I show, on the Topo Map.

And...an aerial view of the filmsite, and the area around it...(showing the "Bowling Alley")...

PGF-Filmsite-Overhead-View2018-Rotated1-

Edited by SweatyYeti
  • Upvote 1

hiflier

I used to wonder why Patty chose the route that she did for her escape. It would seem that she was aiming to somehow get back to the creek safely? So as a speculative, the creek was her "landmark for where she was? Something she knew and was familiar with as a means of getting through a dense area? The fact that she appeared to circle back to the right meant she may have known where the creek ran even if she lost sight of it getting away from Roger.

SweatyYeti
20 minutes ago, Gigantofootecus said:

Thanks SY, my previous post gives you the tools to measure how far away Patty was from the camera using the "Arm Ruler". Any frame that shows her full arm length and is not foreshortened (parallel to the focal plane) you can use the lens equation to get the distance from the camera. This is providing a 25mm lens was used and you know the height of a full frame of film. With 1 good distance measure, you can extrapolate her distances with each 41" step at ~40 deg away from the camera. Then see how that jibes with the arm ruler.

You're welcome, Giganto. :) 

Thanks for the tip, on using Patty's 'arm length' as a ruler. I'll give that a try...and post what I get, for a 'distance to camera'.

Then compare the historical distance from TC-2 with Patty's calculated distance and see if they are even in the ballpark. I think she is only a few feet from TC-2 when she passed behind it.

I agree, 100%....Patty could not have been very far behind tree TC-2. The direction of the sunlight/shadows, along with other details visible in the images....won't allow for a model in which she is very far behind it.

She could have been a few, to several feet behind it...but that's about all. I haven't worked out an actual figure for the maximum distance away from it she could have been, as of yet. But I will eventually.