gigantor

Netflix - Discovering Bigfoot

Patterson-Gimlin

I decided to watch it finally. I watch all the Bigfoot shows. It was as I expected very disappointing. I never have been a Meldrum fan. 

I now know why  more than ever. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

PBeaton

^ Ohhhh the humanity ! haha ! So do I, but this one...I've managed to avoid haha ! 

:drinks:

norseman
3 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I decided to watch it finally. I watch all the Bigfoot shows. It was as I expected very disappointing. I never have been a Meldrum fan. 

I now know why  more than ever. 

Why do you feel that way?

Patterson-Gimlin

Associating with a known hoaxer. 

Easily swayed by bogus evidence. 

• Upvote 1

NathanFooter

We could all be awesome wilderness trackers trained to locate and film Sasquatch, just follow these steps. 

1: Grow a beard, or wear face paint and camo.   ( Both is better )

2: Watch some youtube videos to train up for intense forest parkour.  Here is a great starter video.   

3:  Start stating you are the best at everything you can come up with, this is a well documented practice to becoming the best.    

4:  Watch lots of Elmo's World.   ( massively important )

No thanks necessary. 

• Upvote 1

adam2323

I finally had the time to watch. I’ll watch ant Sasquatch Documentary once. I took this as a Tod being Tod only guy on the planet that sees Sasquatchs every time he’s in the woods

James33

I watched it and thought it was pretty fake - regardless of Todd's "good intentions". If he can actually see them whenever he wants, and knows exactly where to go, there is zero reason he can't come back with credible video footage, clear photos, and other evidence. They take the apples when they put them out, yet no clear footage of this happening.  Trail cams can do this easily via motion detection. And I'm not talking about him sticking an apple on a log covered by brush - I'm talking about when he places the apples all over the dead trees in an area that would be easy to monitor with cameras. What about trip wires at 8+ feet levels?  He's a rambo kinda guy.  That doesn't seem like it'd be very hard to do for him. Trip wire gets tripped and lights come on, cameras fire.  Or just camp out at a vantage point where you can watch the apples all night and rotate a watch, like in the military. 

And the tree/branch breaking - just because you don't know how it happened doesn't make it bigfoot. A lack of explanation doesn't give you the freedom to jump to the conclusion you want to be true. A large creature breaking those with their hands would leave behind something - a hair on the bark, foot prints at the base on a least ONE branch ONCE in awhile... Or else maybe it wears gloves while breaking the branches? 

The evidence he presents is just too flimsy and the possibility of fakery too high. His photos and videos are so static that they look like puppets or masks - go to a zoo and watch any primate's face.  Lots of facial muscles moving, eye movement, eye brows, forehead, etc. Todd's looks like a wax figure. SURELY if the activity there is so amazing and his ability to find them a certainty, he could bring a trained, professional wildlife photographer (or 2 or 3) with him and allow them to get the money shots so desperately needed to prove this.  

Or maybe he just wants $4500 a person to take them on a very expensive Halloween haunted camping trip.... 

norseman
On 8/20/2018 at 11:59 AM, James33 said:

I watched it and thought it was pretty fake - regardless of Todd's "good intentions". If he can actually see them whenever he wants, and knows exactly where to go, there is zero reason he can't come back with credible video footage, clear photos, and other evidence. They take the apples when they put them out, yet no clear footage of this happening.  Trail cams can do this easily via motion detection. And I'm not talking about him sticking an apple on a log covered by brush - I'm talking about when he places the apples all over the dead trees in an area that would be easy to monitor with cameras. What about trip wires at 8+ feet levels?  He's a rambo kinda guy.  That doesn't seem like it'd be very hard to do for him. Trip wire gets tripped and lights come on, cameras fire.  Or just camp out at a vantage point where you can watch the apples all night and rotate a watch, like in the military. 

And the tree/branch breaking - just because you don't know how it happened doesn't make it bigfoot. A lack of explanation doesn't give you the freedom to jump to the conclusion you want to be true. A large creature breaking those with their hands would leave behind something - a hair on the bark, foot prints at the base on a least ONE branch ONCE in awhile... Or else maybe it wears gloves while breaking the branches? 

The evidence he presents is just too flimsy and the possibility of fakery too high. His photos and videos are so static that they look like puppets or masks - go to a zoo and watch any primate's face.  Lots of facial muscles moving, eye movement, eye brows, forehead, etc. Todd's looks like a wax figure. SURELY if the activity there is so amazing and his ability to find them a certainty, he could bring a trained, professional wildlife photographer (or 2 or 3) with him and allow them to get the money shots so desperately needed to prove this.  

Or maybe he just wants $4500 a person to take them on a very expensive Halloween haunted camping trip.... 

If he is a Canadian military trained sniper? He should be able to bring in the body....or a sizeable chunk of it.

I bet 100 percent the Canadian government would listen to him then?

Arvedis
9 hours ago, norseman said:

If he is a Canadian military trained sniper? He should be able to bring in the body....or a sizeable chunk of it.

I bet 100 percent the Canadian government would listen to him then?

Like other researchers and people with repeat contact, opinions change as they get further into it. Standing has no intention of killing one, though there was a time he may have wanted to.

I think Todd is a confused individual, not just on BF matters. However, he has some pretty good techniques of drawing himself into their territory. The one really convincing sequence was of the alpha's gutteral noises as he closed in on Todd's intrusion. Then the scene suddenly cuts away. That cutaway happens over and over with Todd's filmmaking and pretty much ruins the credibility of all of it. Unfortunately for him since it seems like he could get a lot more mileage out of it if he could arrive at a point of actual authenticity and not be taken for a fool.

Edited by Arvedis

norseman
8 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Like other researchers and people with repeat contact, opinions change as they get further into it. Standing has no intention of killing one, though there was a time he may have wanted to.

I think Todd is a confused individual, not just on BF matters. However, he has some pretty good techniques of drawing himself into their territory. The one really convincing sequence was of the alpha's gutteral noises as he closed in on Todd's intrusion. Then the scene suddenly cuts away. That cutaway happens over and over with Todd's filmmaking and pretty much ruins the credibility of all of it. Unfortunately for him since it seems like he could get a lot more mileage out of it if he could arrive at a point of actual authenticity and not be taken for a fool.

Of course not.... He wants to cash in on perpetuating a myth. If the creature is truly out there and Todd Standing has a bead on it? The only sane, logical thing to do is to collect a type specimen. Or if that makes him squeamish? Collect a concrete hair or scat sample. And then send it to the most reputable DNA lab. 

Video no matter how cinematic? Is a video.....zip, zero, nada. The PGF is 50 years old! If video was gonna get us over the hump? That was it. The Sasquatch version of the Blair Witch project? Is not.

Physical evidence is it. Its that simple. Everything else is a waste of time concerning discovery, except for lining up X,Y and Z.

• Upvote 1

Arvedis

Nothing other than a fresh corpse will satisfy some people's skepticism.  As for scat and hair samples, that has already  proven to be inconclusive.  In order for DNA testing to be valid, the genetic databank requires a profile to test against.   Otherwise, even the best hair and scat samples will come back as unknown species.

The BF universe has had plenty of attempts down the DNA path. Let's see who the next party is to have a DNA field kit handy to preserve it and a helicopter to rush it to the lab (who are no doubt anxiously waiting its arrival)

Arvedis
On 4/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Associating with a known hoaxer. 

Easily swayed by bogus evidence. 

I have thought about this over the years, why Meldrum would be so gullible and link up with Todd. I can only guess but I wonder how many offers Meldrum actually has to go to a potentially active area. He's on the hook for doing tenured real University work so he can't really do long expeditions. His m.o. is doing conferences and making the effort to travel to collect casts when it comes his way. Idaho is not that far from Canada and it would make kinda, sorta sense for him to be curious enough to check out Todd's area.  The problem is Todd is pushy and hyperactive. Meldrum is mellow and maybe a bit too nice a guy. He did look gullible in spots so he'll have to live with it. He also wrote an academic paper analyzing the eyes of one of Todd's muppets so he must have believed it was authentic at the time. It used to be linked from Meldrum's web site, since removed. I wish I had downloaded it when I had the chance.

SWWASAS

Meldrum is polite and all of that to witnesses.   But he is not a pushover either.   Say something he does not agree with and he will let you know.   A lot of the conferences have speaker round tables at the end.      Often the speakers go after each other when they disagree.    I have talked to Meldrum many times over the years.       Standing has character faults that pushes him to grandstanding.   He very well may have had actual encounters at some point.   He certainly is convincing when you hear him speak.  So if I was a scientist intent on proving BF,  I might give Standing a chance to prove his claims.       But encounters are rare to share and not easy to video tape.       So Standing started to embellish and delve in to puppeteering to have something to display to the public in his videos.  If he had simply acknowledges his videos were embellished in the interest of entertainment value,   his could have kept his reputation intact.     But he chose not to.       His night time road flare video is pure Blare Witch videography.   He would want to have you believe that the flares were the only thing that kept him alive.    For that to be true,   he would have had to have many dozens of them.  They only last 20 to 30 minutes appiece.   Why would he have any in the bush?     I thought the confrontation between TS, Meldrum, and John Bindernagle at that Sasquatch Summit at Ocean Shores would be the end of him.   It was painful to watch.    All it seem to do what cause the scientists to wash their hands of him.   

Arvedis

I'm not sticking up for him at all but I am pretty sure the flare usage was well planned. He has had enough interaction to develop a strategy. The creatures don't like light so instead of a flashlight in the face or a torch, a flare is a simple tool to keep them at bay.  That particular sequence with the flares and apples seems authentic. The overarching problem is the mixing in of content that can't possibly be authentic. It's just bad filmmaking and his weird personality. Guessing he has had a bunch of "just missed" kind of occurrences that continually frustrates researchers. So he tries to compensate with props and whatnot.

Though, the creatures seem to have moved on from that particular location so without a go to zone, maybe Todd's efforts will stall.

BTW, if anyone has a link to the panel discussion where he gets reamed, please post it. The only clips I have found from a harbor bay conference of him is all even tempered discussion.

Edited by Arvedis

norseman
21 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Meldrum is polite and all of that to witnesses.   But he is not a pushover either.   Say something he does not agree with and he will let you know.   A lot of the conferences have speaker round tables at the end.      Often the speakers go after each other when they disagree.    I have talked to Meldrum many times over the years.       Standing has character faults that pushes him to grandstanding.   He very well may have had actual encounters at some point.   He certainly is convincing when you hear him speak.  So if I was a scientist intent on proving BF,  I might give Standing a chance to prove his claims.       But encounters are rare to share and not easy to video tape.       So Standing started to embellish and delve in to puppeteering to have something to display to the public in his videos.  If he had simply acknowledges his videos were embellished in the interest of entertainment value,   his could have kept his reputation intact.     But he chose not to.       His night time road flare video is pure Blare Witch videography.   He would want to have you believe that the flares were the only thing that kept him alive.    For that to be true,   he would have had to have many dozens of them.  They only last 20 to 30 minutes appiece.   Why would he have any in the bush?     I thought the confrontation between TS, Meldrum, and John Bindernagle at that Sasquatch Summit at Ocean Shores would be the end of him.   It was painful to watch.    All it seem to do what cause the scientists to wash their hands of him.   

But if Todd Standing is against killing one to prove they exist!? Forcing him to “prove” his claims is gonna yield you more of the same! Which is more bogus video.... If Standing wants the limelight on him and will forsake his intergrity to do so? You cant trust anything the man produces as evidence! Zip, zilch, nada.....

Todd Standing comes stumbling into civilization with a severed hand or foot? Boom! Vindication! Denisovan DNA was extracted from a single finger bone smaller than a dime! 

The problem is the community at large? Needs to up their expectations from researchers! Instead we fall over and over again for the same old ruse. Plaster tracks and video footage.....wash, rinse, repeat. And lots of skeptics were once proponents who got tired of this cycle.

I dont need the community. I dont need tantalizing video or casts. I saw what I saw and that will leave the door open for me for the rest of my life. And its no skin off my nose to slide a .45-70 into the scabbard over the .30-30. And go enjoy the outdoors....