SRN- The Sasquatch Research Network

hiflier

If your members are generally only going to be patrolling the public roads then I suppose a no weapons clause should be a given.  I'd hate the idea of people out there shooting at BF from their vehicles on public roads.   

Me too. And LEO's would not be happy about it either. The point of the plan, along with several reasons is to shoot BF with a camera- not a gun. The purpose being to load up science with good photos or videos and then hopefully let them take the ball. Science will still probably want a specimen but if they are responsible for that then it would rule out all of the legalities and hardships that have been discussed. Those hardships include getting one to science secretly without having it stolen or going to jail because some policy or law on the books.

I just don't see a down side to this beyond the usual blurry photos that we always seem to be plagued with. If a BF is spotted by a witness it may not run or hide if it isn't being chased or hunted and may just walk out of the area at a pace that will allow time for vehicles to get to the roads around the sighting. Sasquatch is used to roads and vehicles that travel on then so it may not feel threatened and just conduct business as usual.

No one will have to bushwhack into a remote area, risk bears, run into trouble with property owners, the forestry people, Game wardens, F&W, or anything else. Just watch the roads. There may be a better way to do this but if there is I do not know what it would be. 

20 hours ago, hiflier said:

Would such a plan increase one's odds in favor of getting a photo or video as opposed to doing nothing?   

It may increase the odds, for sure, but until people learn to use their cameras properly vis-a-vis turning on, focusing, depth-of-field, etc, then we are just going to increase the odds of more blurry pictures/videos. For example, my camera is a Pentax Kx-1 DSLR. My goto lens, in the field, is a Sigma 70-300 f4 zoom. The Pentax only has "Instant-On" when it has already been turned on and allowed to go into standby mode. After that point, I just tap the shutter button, and I'm ready to take a photo. I use Center-spot focusing as opposed to multi-spot, and the camera's programming is set to "Scenic" (the little mountain on most program dials). The camera is always in my hands, ready to bring up  to my face, and is always facing forward so I can snap off a picture "from the waist", before bringing it up to my eye. I also tend to favour a higher ISO between 1600-3200 for daytime. Graininess isn't as big a factor with today's cameras.

Cellphones are as useless as boobs-on-a-bull, IMO, because they take too long to take out of the pocket, turn on to camera mode, and take a picture. If you're in the woods, instant blurry photo, thanks to the multi-spot focusing, and low pixel count of the sensor.

It doesn't have to be a "good" camera, just one where you can have control over the settings, and pre-set the camera's functions before you go out.

22 hours ago, hiflier said:

Want to discuss something? Then discuss that by answering this.....Would such a plan increase one's odds in favor of getting a photo or video as opposed to doing nothing? It is the sole purpose of the SRN after all.    

Strawman.   People are not "doing nothing."  

Your plan offers no advantage over what is already being done.   The best you can hope for here is to draw people away from their current endeavors.  You're not going to get new people into the field.   That makes it a net zero game at best.   If you want to do something useful, go somewhere else and find new blood so that the total number of bodies in the field increases.  Merely redistributing them via drawing away people from what they're already doing has no value.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Me too. And LEO's would not be happy about it either. The point of the plan, along with several reasons is to shoot BF with a camera- not a gun. The purpose being to load up science with good photos or videos and then hopefully let them take the ball. Science will still probably want a specimen but if they are responsible for that then it would rule out all of the legalities and hardships that have been discussed. Those hardships include getting one to science secretly without having it stolen or going to jail because some policy or law on the books.

In my opinion the best thing would be is get a good picture or video .This way sciencetist  can figure out how much medication it would take to put one  down to get the info needed to identify it by science. This way we are not evading it as much as we would if we were to shoot one. This way if the numbers are low of their presences in our forested areas of North America we would not be leading them into nonexistence. As of now we have no idea of their numbers in North America since we have of no way of tracking them like we do with bears , deer,elk and even moose. All we have is reports of their movement seen by humans and this is not enough information of letting us know how many there are of them. As far as trying to photograph them it is only by being in the right place at the right time. My thing is by having gopro's facing forward and backwards as you walk on trails and roads where known sightings has taken place .

BFF Patron

I doubt at this point good pictures are not going to be of any more value than perhaps interesting a few scientists into looking into the possibility of existence.    Costuming, special effects, digital animation,  all have gone to far to give pictures any scientific credibility, so perhaps even that will not interest science. (Other than my that is a real looking costume in that picture).    I am afraid a body or at least a skeleton is needed for proof of anything. 

Agreed SWWS,  at this point, BF is a myth  and a legend.  A body is going to be required to add it to taxonomy.   The stigma around it would not allow anything less scientifically speaking.  IMO. 

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Strawman.   People are not "doing nothing."  

Your plan offers no advantage over what is already being done.   The best you can hope for here is to draw people away from their current endeavors.  You're not going to get new people into the field.   That makes it a net zero game at best.   If you want to do something useful, go somewhere else and find new blood so that the total number of bodies in the field increases.  Merely redistributing them via drawing away people from what they're already doing has no value.

MIB

Not a strawman. There are plenty of folks doing nothing. And besides how could I possibly be on this forum for four years, see what people like you, ShadowBorn, Norseman, SWWASAS, BigTreeWalker, BCwitness, gigantor, and all the rest have been doing and then just turn around and say people are doing nothing? That makes no sense. So I am pretty sure you know what I meant when I said that.

Let me ask you something, if you were at home, got word about a sighting 20 miles from you that had occurred not 10 minutes prior, knew which way the BF was said to be heading, checked a map, and saw a road that looked like it was in the possible path of a Sasquatch, would you not get in your vehicle and head out as quickly as the law would allow to get yourself onto that road? How about any other members who have been following this thread?

It is a fair question.

It is pretty much impliying  they are doing nothing with this thread alone.

Answer this Q Hiflier, how many real time reports have you answered too in under 2 hrs?  

Edited by Twist

Whether anyone is doing anything or not the results are.....wait for it....no proof. As far as implications for no one doing anything. The implication is about no one has a fast response team ready to go. It doesn't exist because no one is doing anything to about it. Heck people were fighting the idea back in December 2017 and are fighting the idea now. And Twist, there are no realtime reports that I am aware of.  You know of any? Anyone else know of any? The BFRO might get some but how or when would anyone know about it outside of the BFRO?.

If the public knew there was a fast response to a sighting they would call the fast response team. So there would need to be something already in place to support the phone call before the phone number could ever be issued. The SRN or its equivalent starts when three of four people in a certain local meet and agree to do a quick follow up on a sighting. But they won't get the call until the program is active and the phone number for the locale is advertised.

All it would take for the idea to take hold and grow would be for one small group to get a call, answer the call, show up quickly, scout the roads during the witness interview and see what happens. Guaranteed word will spread pretty fast that there is such a thing at least in a certain locale. As I said it won't happen overnight and could take years to cover more and more territory. A witness just needs to know that someone takes their case seriously enough to be on site quickly. And it is only through quickness that the odds of any success could get better. 

Ghostbusters was a lot funnier though: "Ray, when someone asks you if you're god you say, YES!"

But yeah, same idea. One difference, however, would be that there won't be a vehicle showing up with a "No Sasquatch" emblem on the door. Uh...unless it is YOUR vehicle that is ;) 

4 hours ago, hiflier said:

Let me ask you something, if you were at home, got word about a sighting 20 miles from you that had occurred not 10 minutes prior, knew which way the BF was said to be heading, checked a map, and saw a road that looked like it was in the possible path of a Sasquatch, would you not get in your vehicle and head out as quickly as the law would allow to get yourself onto that road?

Could be fun ya know :) 

Hiflier

I am at a point right now where I am always looking for up to date reports in an area I can get to fast. So far I have found non. All the reports are in the past  and I am not sure if the BFRO is doing this on purpose of not reporting up to date sightings. The other thing is I have not been out in the field for awhile since my health has not been good for a long time now.  So I do not feel like making long hikes here I may or may not make contact with these creatures. So now I wait on when hunting season starts and become a hunter and take my chances then. I really do not place that much weight on reports since they may be fabricated. Reports need to be thoroughly investigated  and proven before they should be posted. Now I have a CPL so it should be much different for me now in the woods here in Michigan. I now have the ability to defend my self better against anyone who dares do me harm. The ability to conceal a fire arm and carry a camera is much better then just carry a camera  in any woods I dare walk in. They might be smart but they are not that smart and to have a dnr walk up on you and ask you why you are carrying a fire arm in the open  on public land out of season is not a wise thing to do. At ;east with a CPL you at least have a legal reason why to conceal your fire arm and not be asked so many questions.

I now have a flir system that I can use at night. and with any luck I might be able to buy a second one to help my efforts. I now have about four trail camera systems that I can station through out the forest  on my route in and out and hope fully I can get one that I can leave out in the forest that I may be able to view from home. The ultimate setup would be a full camera system that runs on solar power stationed on tree's along game trails that look large enough where a creature the size of BigFoot would walk through.That means climbing trees and setting them up. I do have the ropes and the ascenders and the descenders to do the job but my health is not in great shape to climb. This is between myself and my son. Not to many people know of my plans until now since I have kept it close to my chest. If I could have taken a shot I would have but some times things change, so I am back to searching. All I can say is clear cuts my A** the spooks have them . They have just been looking for a way to do their job.. :):( 

Thank you ShadowBorn for a very candid post. It is pretty much my two sons and me as well although tey have not been able to make it out the last couple of years. I do so like having them along. The health issues seem to be catching up with a few of us lately and really al we can do is pay attention to how we feel and see a doc when necessary. I know I am not as much up on my game when I feel less that good. Turning 70 next winter but I can still throw a pack on when I wish to. Someday I may be one of those guys in some SRN somewhere who drives the roads with a good camera when I get notified of a sighting. Hopefully there will be a network to join when that day comes.

Prolly should make moves to start one here in Maine so that if I end up behind the wheel eating a sandwich and sippin' coffee I might see ol' Stinky cross in front of me and snap a photo. For a big state though Maine sure is quiet on the BF front. NH has a better chance methinks. Maybe even VT. Feel better soon.

You do realize that sightings reports are rarely submitted by witnesses in a timely manner.

Normally they are reported at best days later.

I can think of one report that our group has received on the same day it happened 

There is a reason many researchers have stopped chasing sightings, and moved to research areas. Report chasing has not been successful,  and one of the reasons is a lack of speedy reporting.

Doing something for the sake of doing something serves no purpose.

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic