Sasquatching Alone

wiiawiwb

12 hours ago, hiflier said:

Good to know T. Forgfot to mention I also pack a 35mm FILM camera as well as the older FLIP video recorder. Ya just never know......

Love the older technology! Yet, hafta mention, this here IS the 21st century. ;_)

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Love the older technology! Yet, hafta mention, this here IS the 21st century. ;_)

Wait a minute, hafta check on that..........Well I'll be danged, you're right! Where the heck have I been all this time? A whole nineteen years just PFFFFFFT! Gone. Now I need to research whether the delayed shutter speed and pixelated results of digital devices wouldn't be better than the instant capture of my outdated gear. I may also have been overestimating any advantages I thought I had in shooting low grain ASA 50 or ASA 100  at a 1/500/sec. (2 milliseconds) as well  :) 

*sigh* just when I thought I had this stuff DOWN. That I was totally GAME ON. ;) 

Edited by hiflier

23 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

" I keep working on my friction-fire technique. For me, it is not a nearly guaranteed like it was with Cody Lundin or Matt Graham on Dual Survival. Gods of fire. I'm hit or miss and it bugs me my successes are not more consistent. Oh well, something to work on this Spring. "

Old bird nests make great fire bundle starters for when you are cold and need to get a fire going. Every time I am out in the woods and I find a old birds nest I will put it in my pack for when I need a fire on a go. Those mag sticks and strikers are great tools to have as well as a lot of trail mix.

I agree, birds nests are tinder-gold. Don't let those survival shows fool you though. There is a WHOLE LOT of time and effort that winds up on the editing room floor.  Starting a friction fire, even under perfect conditions, takes a long time and requires lots of effort.   The first time I did it, I worked on it for DAYS.

I’ve never attempted a friction fire but it surely does look hard and energy consuming!  I just make sure to camp with heavy smokers, they always have multiple lighters and ways of keeping them dry. 

HAH! Don't have to be around any smokers to do that ol' buddy. If there is room one could also pack in one of those miniature torches that chef's use for glazing the sugar on top of their Crème Brulee. They work amazingly well on damp tinder or small kindling twigs or pine needles. They also work great for lighting those torches when storming the castle!

Edited by hiflier

^^

Hi - so you're saying that along with your bones we'll have some great "found video?"  If so, I hope it's not for a very, very, very long time.

Wii - that's a good point.  If I were hiking alone, even if I had an unequivocal encounter, I'd be worried that no one would believe me. 

Of the people who know my interest in the subject, I've been very clear that if I ever have an encounter not a single detail will be made up or inferred.

19 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Great gumshoeing Trogluddite. 

There's is no way to know this but I wonder if two people who encounter a sasquatch are more likely to report a sighting because they add credibility to each other's statements. If one person has encounter he or she must rely on their own memory and doesn't have the opportunity in the moment to flesh out issues and discuss details. My suspicion is that two people witnessing anything are more likely to report something than one person witnessing the same thing.

Like I say, it's only my supposition but I'd bet a shilling or two on it.

Interesting speculation that 2 or more witnesses would be more likely to report an encounter with a Sasquatch than a single individual. While I couldn't quickly find information about that exact topic -- I did find a thought-provoking article in Scientific American titled "Are Two Heads Better Than One? It Depends." (You can Google for the above article.) Essentially it says that if both people are skilled in their abilities AND are honest about their confidence in their opinion or observation, the result could be better than if they had worked on the project individually. 

Two people would have an advantage if they listened to one another in terms of how sure (or tentative) they felt. "Did we both really see a living human- like ape with X amount of hair and Y facial features?" they could ask each other. "Or are we falling for pareidolia?"  And much more. 

IMHO, going out in two's -- if you trust your companion's self-assessment to be honest -- might be great for cryptid study. Then you'd be more certain when you reported it to BFRO or whomever. But there are some pitfalls to group searches, so keep it down to two people and read further about the effects of group think. 

Still there are times you have no choice but go out alone. Stay safe, my friends!

If I were hiking alone, even if I had an unequivocal encounter, I'd be worried that no one would believe me.

See the problem with this statement is that it happens now with people who have had unequivocal encounters and are still not believed. So what happens is that people are taking big chances with these creatures and doing things that they normally would not do other wise. By going alone to get the proof that is needed and forgetting what has been taught about going into the woods alone. Is it really safe to go out there and try to prove these creatures are real? We do not know this, since no one has actually brought one in either alive or dead. We have the data on them , but how much does that data really mean ? what do those numbers that we are looking at really say to us?. It does say that they are not very observing of us unless we step into there areas. 

It almost seems that it takes us to step on their turf in order for them to observe us. It also seems that when we seem to hunt them the tables get turned and we become the hunted. The thing that I have personally observed is that when you camp in a spot where they may be that they are naturally drawn to where one has set-up camp. I have also observed that they are drawn to what we have as far as food and that they wait for the proper moment to engage the camp-site. which is usually when we are asleep. Also people who have observed these creatures who have had a weapon are way to nervous to engage it. Including my self where the thought of being ripped apart with ease and not being able to stop it goes through your mind when you step on their turf. But then this is where the thought of proving them goes and how far one is willing to chance it. So you take the time, think it through, make a plan and stick with it. Always have a back -up in case some thing goes wrong and be ready for what ever may come your way, But never place safety last. Your life comes first and the life of your partner if you are with a partner. My partner is usually my German Shepherd. 

Deer do not engage, they run. And yet reports say they get ambushed? caught and killed. Elk too. A dog engages by nature- it wouldn't stand a chance. There are people that say dogs fear Sasquatch and will not track them but if surprised in an encounter I would think they would react normally- again, they probably wouldn't survive the encounter. So be good and careful with your 'man's best friend' SB. And be safe yourself, too.

11 hours ago, hiflier said:

Deer do not engage, they run. And yet reports say they get ambushed? caught and killed. Elk too. A dog engages by nature- it wouldn't stand a chance. There are people that say dogs fear Sasquatch and will not track them but if surprised in an encounter I would think they would react normally- again, they probably wouldn't survive the encounter. So be good and careful with your 'man's best friend' SB. And be safe yourself, too.

11 hours ago, hiflier said:

That's is the only scenario I personally can see other than my own life being threatened where  I would unload my mags on the creature .

I like to hike with my two dogs and always carry . I'm not in the kill club but if anything tries to kill my best friends there will be H#LL 

to pay . 

Well said, and believe me, they like to hike with you too :) Total trust in their pack leader. And I've no doubt a good owner will do whatever it takes to honor that trust.

BFF Patron
13 hours ago, hiflier said:

Dogs are very different in how they react to something unknown to them.      Some do attack.      A dog like that should not be in the field unleashed if you care about it.     I recall my dog encountering a pig for the first time.   It was just curious and sniffing.   The pig did not consider it a threat.    There have been reports of dogs running into the bush in BF country and coming out acting like they just met their best buddy out in the woods.    I suspect that BF assess and deal with the threat presented.    If the dog is curious and friendly,  it likely gets petted and let return to its human.  Killing a dog unnecessarily would just garner unwanted human attention on the BF involved.    As I recall Bigtex down in Texas has had some positive encounters of his dogs with BF.      

Edited by SWWASAS

Guest GirlRobot

I have heard stories of dogs disappearing with Bigfoot nearby from my contacts, but never have they found a body to suggest foul play. Does what you describe, dogs acting like they made a new best friend, suggest that maybe Bigfoot are "keeping" our strays as pets? It's a cute image, but I think it also aligns with the fact that most dogs are non threatening upon meeting nonviolent beings (my hound dog loves everyone and would love a Bigfoot friend). I assume when people tell me here in Ohio about dog killings that they are describing coyote attacks. Usually the evidence suggests so. Less reputable sources say Bigfoot are to blame, but if Bigfoot behave similar to great apes their only motivations for attacking a dog would be: threat, food, or a general maliciousness of an intelligent creature being cruel. I don't think dogs are a viable food source for primates of any size, and random killings seem out of character in nature unless there is territory limitation and food scarcity (see previous point). 

Very odd occurrence with deer a few weeks ago.  I was in our local 100-acre wood, with the town to the north, east, and west and (across a moderately busy during the day 2-lane) to the south a "mountain" (1200 feet max) to the south.  A small herd of our town deer - who are usually completely oblivious to humans - were in the woods to my north.  My dog and I were moving roughly west on a path, dog about 25 yards in front.  All of a sudden three of the deer broke off and chaged south past us, coming w/in 10 feet of my (very confused) dog and I.  Then about 4 more did the same, coming w/in 5 feet of us as they broke south.  

I did not see anything to the north, which is all town or any other direction.  It was just weird.