What backpack do you use?

wiiawiwb

On 2/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, Madison5716 said:

My beloved 20L Osprey is too small, at least for winter.

I'm looking at getting the Savotta Jaakari, 30L. Maybe. IDK.

https://finn-savotta.fi/en/products/jaakari-m/

Good looking pack.  What's the cost on it?

I wanted to try a different brand...like HPG or Mystery Ranch.  But, the Osprey felt like it had been made for me.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

• 3 weeks later...

I use www.thehiddenwoodsmen.com Deep Woods Rucksack. There is a ton of room, comfortable, and great quality. 

On 3/8/2020 at 6:40 AM, JosephDurham said:

I use www.thehiddenwoodsmen.com Deep Woods Rucksack. There is a ton of room, comfortable, and great quality. 

It looks like a military Alice pack.

In recent months I've added a couple of new packs.   One is from The North Face called a "Recon".   It has the organization of a tactical pack (individual pockets for things like audio recorders, smaller lights, tools, etc) without looking like a mall ninja.   "Me likey".   The other is not here yet but I'm familiar with it.  It is from Granite Gear called a Virga 26.   It is more of a sack with straps, no organization to speak of, but a great little bag for tossing take-off clothing into as the day warms up. 

C'mon, spring .. I am .. past ready.  I NEED to get out. 

59 minutes ago, norseman said:

Except it's $395...WITHOUT the frame! Ouch!

Edited by NorthWind
Added a little more detail.
  • Thanks 1

Mine is a 33L rucksack with three outside pockets. I got it so I didn't have to unload the basics like small tent, sleeping bag, food etc. to access my electronics, Katadyn water filter, fire-making supplies, and JetBoil. It's nearly identical to a similar pack I used in the 70's. I've always preferred plenty of individual outside compartments and the fact that they each have a buckled flap to keep things dry. The side pockets have thru-channels behind between them and the main body to carry things like hiking poles or other longer items. My goal is 20-25 lbs. but I have had as much as 30 and it's still comfortable to wear. The best part beyond being rugged? It's only $89. For the price of a high end pack I could buy three of these babies. This year I will add a pack cover although it's probably a redundancy as the fabric itself is more than adequate.  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122952?productId=1735678

Rucksack.thumb.jpg.2148535855836a13297db086c6c44c7f.jpg 

2 hours ago, norseman said:

Basically. 

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Except it's $395...WITHOUT the frame! Ouch!

I just saw that.  It was nowhere near that when I originally purchased mine. I also have two haversacks that he makes, which I use frequently. 

• 1 year later...

Just ordered a backpack for day hikes (with equipment) or an overnight/weekend.  We all use a pack of some type and size every time we enter the woods. My larger-capacity pack is made by the same company as the new one. I suspect it will bring a smile when it arrives.

Looking forward to taking it on its maiden voyage.

Edited by wiiawiwb

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Just ordered a backpack for day hikes (with equipment) or an overnight/weekend.  We all use a pack of some type and size every time we enter the woods. My larger-capacity pack is made by the same company as the new one. I suspect it will bring a smile when it arrives.

Looking forward to taking it on its maiden voyage.

Don't keep us guessing man, whadya get??

I was just searching for replacement tension locks for my pirated North Face 25L with the awesome Aircomfort back. It's a taught mesh with the pack sprung off of it in an arc. Can't imagine a cooler set-up.  In looking to see what similar style is out there, just in case... it appears NF has nixed the Aircomfort feature on packs. looks as if they have gone more toward urban computer slinging.

I just got a Seek Outside Gila pack that weighs 2lbs 15oz. It can comfortably carry whatever weight I want to put in it. Carrying 100lbs? No problem at all.  It will be used for day trips and overnighters when I can remove the metal cross stay and get the weight down to 2lbs 10z.

https://seekoutside.com/gila-ultralight-backpack-gray/

The bag's side pockets are huge. You can put 2 quart bottles of Gatorade in each pocket with no problem. It is designed to allow you to easily reach back and grab your water bottle on the fly. 

For the ultralight folks, who are through hikers, there are backpacks out there that only weigh ~1lb 10z, or less, but once the load you carry hit 25lbs, and beyond, it becomes uncomfortable.  The Seek Outside backpacks were designed to carry heavy loads. I have frameless ZPacks Blast.  If I put 25lbs in it and walk around it feels very heavy and pulls down on my shoulders. If I put the same 25lbs in my SO, it feels weightless. 

If I were to start over and have only one pack that would be used for everything, it would be the Seek Outside Divide.  It weighs only 1oz more than the Gila but that pack's bag has another 1,300 ci volume (79L vs 57L Gila). I don't need the extra volume because I have the SO Fortress 6,300 backpack whose main bag is 100L which is used when I'm carrying bulky items.

https://seekoutside.com/divide-ultralight-backpack-gray/

Frankly, I never heard of Seek Outside until 2017. They are a cottage-industry company that caters to the hunting crowd. They designed and built to haul out 100-150lbs of meat. If your legs can carry it, their packs will haul it. There are bigger companies in that same industry. The difference is Seek Outside packs are lighter than its competition, significantly so in some cases.

The SO setup can be customized. When I carry more weight, and want the load-lifters to work better, I can add a 2" or 4" extensions to the frame.  As you begin to add weight, the pack will settle more lowering the pack. That may leave the load-lifters inoperable. No way to adjust for that without the frame extensions.  Also, once you buy one of their packs, you can change out different bags. If I wanted, I could use my Fortress 6,300, remove the bag, remove the Revo panel, then buy the Gila bag alone.  You can have smaller and larger bags but use the same frame, shoulder harness, and pack belt system.  I didn't want to monkey around with it so I just got a new pack rather than add just the Gila bag. 

I can wholeheartedly recommend See Outside for backpacks and hot tents.

I just upgraded to the 5.11 Tactical Amp 24 ( 32 L capacity), I really like the hexgrid positioning options for anything molle.  The entire pack is modular and can be designed around a battlefield layout or a specialized daypack setup for photography/gear hauling. 

https://www.511tactical.com/amp24.html

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic