What backpack do you use?

wiiawiwb

5 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I like the pack but need to figure out something for my gun and knife. The belt pockets are competing for the same spot on my hip.

Concealed Carry Holsters | Concealment Holsters | Alien Gear Holsters has some good stuff for carrying your pistol on your back pack. So you might want to check them out.

Admin

I cannot speak to their backpack stuff, but I have used their belt holsters (and belts) for over five years now and they are top quality. Good products in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, Madison5716 said:

I like the pack but need to figure out something for my gun and knife. The belt pockets are competing for the same spot on my hip.

I'd highly recommend a chest pack from Hill People Gear. You wear it under your backpack (or daypack) and it holds your firearm and other items you want to access. You can drawn quickly from it and it does not interfere with your backpack's hipbelt. Also, you can use two straps they provide to dock it to your backpack so the chest pack is essentially weightless.

I never go in the woods without my chest pack and, being a bit of a gear junkie, can say without question that it is the best piece of outdoor gear, or clothing, of any type that I've ever owned in my life.  

I got the largest one as I can fit a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver (Toklat) in it.  If you are carrying a smaller handgun maybe a smaller chest pack would work. The video below discusses and displays all of the chest packs they offer.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I've always carried a neck knife so even when my backpack is off I have access to a knife. There are molle attachment points on the bottom of the chest pack to attach a full-size knife and sheath.

In the chest pack, I carry two small flashlights, a compass, map, leukotape, car keys, butane lighter, and my phone so they are always with me when the backpack is off.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

I carry several knives, but my main field blade is my ESEE 4 (which I am in freaking love with), which I have been carrying handle down on my right pack shoulder strap (I am left handed) so it makes for really quick deployment. @Madison5716 carries a Scandi style knife in more of a dangler type sheath, so that is not really an option. With all she's been through, I am not sure a chest rig would be an option for her, but she has really bounced back and is amazing.

I also got a "battle belt" from Condor and I LOVE it so far. It simply opens up and velcros around my pack's belly band and offers more padding (as if I am not soft enough around the middle!). I needed that extra padding. Then it has a boatload of MOLLE attachments so I can strap the holster for my Colt 1911 (and two extra mags). I also hand carry a shortish spear with a quick release sheath and use that as a walking stick. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'd highly recommend a chest pack from Hill People Gear. You wear it under your backpack (or daypack) and it holds your firearm and other items you want to access. You can drawn quickly from it and it does not interfere with your backpack's hipbelt. Also, you can use two straps they provide to dock it to your backpack so the chest pack is essentially weightless.

I never go in the woods without my chest pack and, being a bit of a gear junkie, can say without question that it is the best piece of outdoor gear, or clothing, of any type that I've ever owned in my life.  

I got the largest one as I can fit a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver (Toklat) in it.  If you are carrying a smaller handgun maybe a smaller chest pack would work. The video below discusses and displays all of the chest packs they offer.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I've always carried a neck knife so even when my backpack is off I have access to a knife. There are molle attachment points on the bottom of the chest pack to attach a full-size knife and sheath.

In the chest pack, I carry two small flashlights, a compass, map, leukotape, car keys, butane lighter, and my phone so they are always with me when the backpack is off.

As a fellow gear junkie, I second the recommendation for a HPG kit bag.  

I carry a Recon Kit with MOLLE on the front.    I carry a Glock 20 with an Olight Baldr light in the main pouch.  I carry a spare magazine, lighter, my keys, ID, a small compass, a small flashlight, and a spare battery in the secondary compartment.

I picked up an action cam mount that hooks onto MOLLE for the front.  I also have a small digital recorder that fits in one MOLLE opening that can be left running.  My SRK knife is sometimes lashed to the MOLLE along the bottom, since my pack belt makes wearing a sheath knife uncomfortable.  

@Madison5716, I don’t know if this would be an option for you, but it would be worth checking out.

54 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

I carry several knives, but my main field blade is my ESEE 4 (which I am in freaking love with), which I have been carrying handle down on my right pack shoulder strap (I am left handed) so it makes for really quick deployment. @Madison5716 carries a Scandi style knife in more of a dangler type sheath, so that is not really an option. With all she's been through, I am not sure a chest rig would be an option for her, but she has really bounced back and is amazing.

I also got a "battle belt" from Condor and I LOVE it so far. It simply opens up and velcros around my pack's belly band and offers more padding (as if I am not soft enough around the middle!). I needed that extra padding. Then it has a boatload of MOLLE attachments so I can strap the holster for my Colt 1911 (and two extra mags). I also hand carry a shortish spear with a quick release sheath and use that as a walking stick. 

I watched your new videos the other night, and I thought that looked like a spear!

Is that one of the Condor models?

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

18 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I carry several knives, but my main field blade is my ESEE 4 (which I am in freaking love with), which I have been carrying handle down on my right pack shoulder strap (I am left handed) so it makes for really quick deployment. @Madison5716 carries a Scandi style knife in more of a dangler type sheath, so that is not really an option.

I have an ESEE 4 (green/orange) as well and they make excellent knives. I find myself leaving it home, more than not, as the ESEE IZULA neck knife does most of what I need. It obviously can't batton wood like the ESEE 4 but nowadays I try to gather small-sized wood for a fire anyway.

Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of getting their Junglas, which is a beast.  A lot of weight to backpack around but, together with the IZULA, would be perfect for survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrWVP9jt0vI

Interesting aftermarket blade handles for the ESEE 4 that provide an extended grip:

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-4-extended-1/

• Upvote 1

Ah yes, the Junglas is one that a younger version of myself would have gladly packed around. Sweet blade for sure! More than I realistically need at this point. I kind of like the ESEE JG5, too! But heck, I like all knives. 

But back on topic, I am loving my 5.11 Rush 72 pack. Very customizable. And no complaints aside from the belly band which was just a personal preference, and the battle belt completely fixed it for me. 

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I have an ESEE 4 (green/orange) as well and they make excellent knives. I find myself leaving it home, more than not, as the ESEE IZULA neck knife does most of what I need. It obviously can't batton wood like the ESEE 4 but nowadays I try to gather small-sized wood for a fire anyway.

Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of getting their Junglas, which is a beast.  A lot of weight to backpack around but, together with the IZULA, would be perfect for survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrWVP9jt0vI

Interesting aftermarket blade handles for the ESEE 4 that provide an extended grip:

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-4-extended-1/

I have a Junglas, but usually end up carrying my Kershaw Camp 5 because it fits perfectly in the side pouch of my Osprey pack.  

The Knife Connection extended grips are amazing.  We have them in all of our ESEE 3s.  I will post a pic up in the knife thread.

Lucky guy!  The best way to buy the Junglas now is through The Knife Connection's "Knife Builder". You choose the forged knife then separately choose the handle.  For example, the Junglas I'd want (black linen micarta and with brown burlap) would be $93.92 + $63.50 = $157.42.

That's a heck of a deal to begin with much less getting the exact handle you want.

• Thanks 1

I would definitely consider the chest pack at some point, but the nerves are slowly returning and everything is slightly uncomfortable right now.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I would definitely consider the chest pack at some point, but the nerves are slowly returning and everything is slightly uncomfortable right now.

Hang in there!

• 1 month later...

One of the really good features of a Seek Outside backpack is your ability to swap in and out different bags.  Earlier this year, I got a Gila model (57L in gray) from them earlier this year and it's super lightweight. It's my day and overnight backpack.

A larger bag (camo) arrived yesterday that I had custom made by Seek Outside. It is a 79L bag with a tall side pocket which will hold a tent nicely.  I removed the Gila bag and put on the new one...in a few minutes.  It will be used for weekends. As you can see below, the larger bag rolls down into nothing and could easily be used as a daypack as well.

The largest bag shown at the bottom, with top lid and face pocket, has a 130L capacity and is used on an extended backpacks. All three bags can fit on the same frame, belt, and shoulder-harness system.  You just swap them in and out.  All three packs can carry as much weight as your legs can carry.

Gila.jpg

769052586_SOCustom48007.jpg

1346540534_SOCustom48002.jpg

1510891634_SOFortress6300.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic