What backpack do you use?

wiiawiwb

There are places I go that I can get to with an off-road vehicle.  In those instances, I bring my day pack which is a ZPack.  Most of the time, I backpack (versus day hike) into the my favorite spots.  I have a an collection of packs and am in the process of getting a new one that I'm looking forward to. It's a Seek Outside Revolution Fortress. They make various size bags but I'm getting the 6.300 cu.in model. Add a top lid and back talon and that will add another ~1,200-1,500 cu in.  I don't need that type of volume during summer months but it collapses down to nothing so there isn't excess bag all over the place.

I looked far and wide and chose this because it is relatively light (4lb 2oz), can carry up to 150lbs (I'll never test that boundary), and is waterproof. The expansive volume will allow me to carry all the extraneous sasquatching gear I like to bring.

What backpack does you use when trekking in and spending at least an overnight sasquatching and are you happy with it?

I use an LL Bean canvass type rucksack. It's small in size but it has three buckle-fastened outside pockets which I prefer for easy access to things like the small JetBoil for heating food or making coffee on the trail without unpacking the main compartment. I can also access all of my fire making supplies, some light rain gear, and even the trail cam, NV, and other small things like a headlamp, water filter etc.. I can also just unclip my bivy and crawl in somewhere with a sleep pad. INSIDE the main compartment is my sleeping bag, food, and dry clothes, gear for hanging a food bag, a light tarp, folding saw, small hatchet and other sundries. I had a similar pack in the 1970's and had always missed the generous, secure, outside pockets for quick access until last year. I can max the thing out with 40 lbs. or go in with as little as 20 lbs. for a couple of days.

BFF Patron

Best pack I owned was a Frostline Kit that I sewed up myself.   Very comfortable frame with all sorts of adjustments and padding.  Most comfortable pack frame I have ever tried.   I got out of backpacking and was not using it and gave it to my son.     Wish I still had it for bigfoot research.   .    I don't think Frostline is still in business.    I sewed up one of their duffle bag soft suitcases and still use it 40 years later.  Made of heavy ripstop canvas.    Good to take clothes in my airplane or organize them for camping in my trailer.  If it gets dirty you just throw it into the wash machine.   

Edited by SWWASAS

That Seek looks like a nice pack, spendy but nice:) The one drawback I see for myself is the top load, I prefer easier access to the main body.

For day hikes I have a few options depending, a 10L Deuter which is just a main compartment, a bladder pocket and a small zipped top access pocket within the main compartment which usually holds a compass, headlamp, lighter, energy bars etc. Another option is actually a sling, Maxpedition jumbo Versipack, which is convenient in some situations though on a long day my shoulder will feel the one-sided load. For backpacking in I use a Gregory Baltoro 85, great suspension system and comfortable load hauler but not the lightest bit o kit at 5lbs. I could stand to have less streamlined side pockets on the thing, but like the access, included rain cover and the top detaches and has its own belt for a waist pack for day trekking from camp.

23 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What backpack does you use when trekking in and spending at least an overnight sasquatching and are you happy with it?

For overnight use, I have two I like a lot.   One is a 1980-ish Kelty Tioga II external frame pack.   I like the external frame for lashing gear, rigid foam pads, etc that do not fit inside an internal frame pack and leave you looking like a hobo if you try.  The other is a very new Kelty Coyote 65 which I use when I do not have extra long or very bulky gear to try to load inside.   I have a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 for ultralight overnighters ... basically bivy and light bag ... but I haven't used it yet.

I love the big Kelty when there's a load to haul.   It laughs off loads that make internal frame packs whimper and piddle themselves.   It handles bulky and awkward stuff.  Given it's age, there's no hydration sleeve.  I like those.  It also doesn't compress all that well ... if loaded less full, stuff flops loose a bit inside.   However, for getting a load of gear into the woods when there will be foul weather to deal with, it simply has no peer.

I like the Coyote 65 for summer hiking.   It has pretty decent organization via smaller pockets. 

Prior to getting the GG Blaze AC 60, I had their Nimbus Access Trace 60 and it was a little tight.  The "Access" feature is awesome and I might get the 70L version in the future.

I had a Kelty Lakota 65 .. good pack.   I had a Kelty Coyote 80 ... good pack.   Both seemed less trim, more bulky, than the choices I have now.   I tried a Kelty RedWing 50 ... just not enough space, the seams were too tight when the zippes closed.   Same with a 5.11 Tactical Rush 72.   For 2  years, I used a Badlands Sacrifice hunting pack as my backpack for 1-3 night trips.   Worked well.  Carries the load funny.   I've used others as well.

Of all of them, I think the Kelty Coyote 65 is likely the best of the bunch unless you're packing in something long that needs structure.

MIB

14 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

That Seek looks like a nice pack, spendy but nice:) The one drawback I see for myself is the top load, I prefer easier access to the main body.

For day hikes I have a few options depending, a 10L Deuter which is just a main compartment, a bladder pocket and a small zipped top access pocket within the main compartment which usually holds a compass, headlamp, lighter, energy bars etc. Another option is actually a sling, Maxpedition jumbo Versipack, which is convenient in some situations though on a long day my shoulder will feel the one-sided load. For backpacking in I use a Gregory Baltoro 85, great suspension system and comfortable load hauler but not the lightest bit o kit at 5lbs. I could stand to have less streamlined side pockets on the thing, but like the access, included rain cover and the top detaches and has its own belt for a waist pack for day trekking from camp.

I was initially put off that the Fortress bag did not have a vertical zipper to access items inside the bag. I've always had one. In the end, it probably makes sense in may particular case not to have one as I backpack in an area that is rainy and always wet. This particular bag will insure that what is inside my bag stays dry.

The beauty of the Seek Outside revolution system is that i can remove the bag from the frame and replace it with another one.  So, if I decide that i want a side zipper for a trip when I know the weather is sunny and dry, I can remove the Fortress bag and replace it with  the Goshawk 4,800 cu in bag which has a side zipper.

I don't think I will need to access items in the bag as the top lid and Talon ( storage area on back of the pack) have a combined 1,500 cu in capacity which is plenty to carry the things I will need to access. I always wear my Hill People Gear chest pack when in the woods so there is storage there as well.

Goshawk bag on the Revolution suspension system

I've also considered putting all of my sasquatching items in a separate bag and using the breakaway capability so it is in between the backpack bag and the backpack itself such as you see in the yellow bag in the video. That way I keep those items in one bag and know exactly where they are at all times.

Edited by wiiawiwb

The Seek Outside pack looks nice, hadn’t seen that before. Don’t think it would make sense in the Midwest as it’s relatively dry here during camping our short camping season. For day hikes I have an old REI 38L pack that keeps on going with  almost daily as it doubles as my work bag. For multi day hikes or wilderness camping I have an old Kelty 80L, only drawback to it is the weight. I’ve been looking at new packs like the Osprey Aether or Gregory Baltoro to shave off a few pounds, always need more room for the additions to my fishing arsenal. 

Edited by Pdub

Wii, One really can't go wrong with a modular system such as the Seek. Having separate bags or "talons" for a specific activity, is a nice option. I don't have a lot of tolerance for rummaging for whatever through a pack's worth of gear So I see the appeal to organizing that way. Hope it serves You well.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • 8 months later...

ULA circuit! I've ran it through around 800 miles most of which was completely bushwacking through rough country and boulder fields. An balance for durability weight and room. 

Kirafu makes a great pack BUT they are heavy. Let's compare my Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 with the Kirafu Cavern on a 26" tactical platform frame.  The SO would be fully waterproof but the Kirafu would need a pack cover

Cost of the Kirafu would be $764 and weigh 7lbs 1oz. (with pack cover)

Cost of the SO would be $529 and weigh 4lbs 2oz.

https://store.kifaru.net/all-frames-c38.aspx

https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks-breakaway/

Kirafu makes a gazillion add-on items (pockets, pouches, etc) so you get more to chose from for customization, no question about it.  Check Kirafu.

SO is significantly lighter.  Check Seek Outside

SO costs significantly less. Check Seek Outside

Kirafu is a more recognized name in the hunting pack industry. Check Kirafu.

You could lighten the weight of the Kirafu by 14oz if you choose the Ultralight frame  but I don't know what you're giving up in the process. You should check it out to be sure. I think comfort is paramount so if you can try both on first before buying, I would do so. If not, I'd suggest buying both and returning the one you like the least.

A lot of people like the SO Lanner 5,400 and Saker 7,400 for a hunting pack. Me, I like simplicity with minimal pockets on the outside. It depends on what you're looking for from a pack.  If you're looking at Seek Outside, Kirafu, Exo, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier, you're going to get a good pack. I'm partial to Seek Outside because it is the lightest of the group , can be customized, is waterproof, and rides like a dream.

You'll get excellent discussions and information about the packs from all of these companies here:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/backpacks.16/

One last thing about the SO Revolution Fortress 6,300.  The volume is 6,300ci for the main bag,  the Talon (center pouch on outside) is 800ci for a total of 7,100ci or 116 liters of storage. I added two belt pouches and a top lid for another 16 liters of storage. The main bag rolls down into a small  bag when you're not hauling volume so it is not bulky at all and can be used as a day pack.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Kirafu makes a great pack BUT they are heavy. Let's compare my Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 with the Kirafu Cavern on a 26" tactical platform frame.  The SO would be fully waterproof but the Kirafu would need a pack cover

Cost of the Kirafu would be $764 and weigh 7lbs 1oz. (with pack cover)

Cost of the SO would be $529 and weigh 4lbs 2oz.

https://store.kifaru.net/all-frames-c38.aspx

https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks-breakaway/

Kirafu makes a gazillion add-on items (pockets, pouches, etc) so you get more to chose from for customization, no question about it.  Check Kirafu.

SO is significantly lighter.  Check Seek Outside

SO costs significantly less. Check Seek Outside

Kirafu is a more recognized name in the hunting pack industry. Check Kirafu.

You could lighten the weight of the Kirafu by 14oz if you choose the Ultralight frame  but I don't know what you're giving up in the process. You should check it out to be sure. I think comfort is paramount so if you can try both on first before buying, I would do so. If not, I'd suggest buying both and returning the one you like the least.

A lot of people like the SO Lanner 5,400 and Saker 7,400 for a hunting pack. Me, I like simplicity with minimal pockets on the outside. It depends on what you're looking for from a pack.  If you're looking at Seek Outside, Kirafu, Exo, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier, you're going to get a good pack. I'm partial to Seek Outside because it is the lightest of the group , can be customized, is waterproof, and rides like a dream.

You'll get excellent discussions and information about the packs from all of these companies here:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/backpacks.16/

As a hunter I would be only interested in a separate pack frame I could pull the ruck off and haul quarters out with. Weight would not as much be a concern for me. Robustness and versatility would be.

Thanks for the link!

I agree and the Revolution frame is its breakway suspension system so the bag breaks away completely from the frame.  It's can handle quarters the same way Kirafu does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfx-pQq_Y8

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1594/2757/products/Seek_Outside_Peregrine_3500_Hunting_Backpack_Breakaway_Load_Carry__68448.1507818763.png?v=1519616501

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/why-my-pack-sucks-kifaru-stone-glacier-exo-seek-mystery-ranch-kuiu-etc.290968/

I did try out a Seek Outside pack back in 2013 when I was also looking at the Stone Glacier. I took it on one backpack hunt and one of the shoulder straps tore off when I went to put it back on the first day out after lunch. It was probably loaded with around 40 or 50 pounds max at the time and I just picked it up by one shoulder strap to put it on and the stitching on the strap just failed. I had noticed the stitching looked a little suspect when I got the pack but thought it was just looks and wouldn't affect performance. I was able to cobble things together with some extra rope and some spare buckles I happened to have with me but it was far from ideal and no way was I going to have faith in the pack after that. The fit and finish on the Seek Outside pack was no where close to the Stone Glacier and it wasn't much cheaper. It did have load lifters that could go an extra 2" higher than the Stone Glacier, but that would have been too high for normal use and I never got a chance to see if it would have actually helped or not since I was just trying to keep the pack together. The customer service was good and they did give me a full refund on the pack though.

====================/=====

Is it because SO is cheaper built?

Looking at the poll at the top? It looks like MR is everyone’s favorite.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic