New documentary with Thomas Steenburg, from a first nations point of view.

BC witness

Back in 2016 Thomas Steenburg was approached by a television producer from APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network) about appearing in an episode of Red Earth Uncovered, a  native take on monsters and mysteries. He accepted, and asked me, as an eyewitness, if I would like to be a part of the effort. I accepted, and we were both interviewed at Thomas' place. Another lady, a local native women who had reported her sighting to Thomas, was also included in the show. I met this brave, and articulate lady during the recording of an episode of Finding Bigfoot, and came to know her story well. Sadly, she became very ill with cancer not long after the Red Earth episode, and lost her battle with that nasty disease before the show was aired here in BC earlier tonight. I was also recovering from major cancer surgery at the time of recording, and look quite pale and ill on the show.

The story is a 2 part adventure of a young native women who is sent on a modern day quest to learn about the creature that appears in so many native stories, all over North America, and comes to Harrison Lake, B.C. to start her search for the truth. The show is done with respect for both the subject, and for the people telling the story, so I think it's worth a watch,in spite of my appearing briefly in it.

The only downside I see in it is the title, "Hairy in Harrison", which seems to be a poke at "Harry and the Hendersons".

Trailers found here:  http://redearth.tv/videos/

Edited by BC witness
add link
  • Upvote 1

BC witness,

I got to see most of it last night, I enjoyed what I seen. I'll try an watch it again on Wednesday when it airs again, 8:30AM an 7:30PM.

Although there was one piece that I'm not sure if I misheard, when the young lady is interviewin' the lady at the museum(?) regardin' John bein' there for the PGF, sounded to me like the lady said yes. Then they showed images from John's film from Blue Creek mountain, weeks prior to the PGF. Will have to check it out when it airs again wed, not sure if I heard that right.

Enjoyed the pt1 just the same.

Pat... 

Red-earth-uncovered-F.jpg

Yes, I heard that error, too. She seemed to imply that the clip shown was of John Green at Bluff Creek, and that he was there at the time of the PGF filming, which is, of course, not the case. The Kilby Museum is focused on general local history, not specifically Sasquatch, so I assume that she (museum lady) was not up to speed on the details of who was where and when. I believe that John's family had donated his research and artifacts to Kilby shortly after his passing, which was not long before that show was recorded. There is now a better display in a room at the Harrison tourist info centre.

The production crew, which your picture above shows with Thomas and Vera, spent half a day with him, and a further couple of hours with me, and with Vera, and it all gets edited down to just minutes on the show, with us, the subjects, getting no preview of what they choose, or how they put that together for the episode.

Of the three times that I've been involved in TV productions with Thomas and Bill Miller, that's the first one where I didn't get completely edited out, so I finally got my 30 seconds of fame. ;-)

• Upvote 1

Saw Part 2 this evening, which was mostly her trip up Harrison East FSR with Bill Miller in the Polaris that I get to drive when I do tours for him, and her visit to the Chehalis (Sta:ialis) Indian band's community center. Again well done, with a few minor blips in the relating of some of the stories.

I really liked the way they did the story in sand. However he got some of the details wrong? Which was rather strange as I gave them the whole Ruby Creek 1941 story when they were filming at my place? Also the lady at Kilby gave the impression that John Green was present  at the PG site when the film was shot, showing Blue Creek Mountain footage taken earlier (late August early September 1967). from Dahindens camera. Also BC witness they didn't edit you out on the program 'BC was great'. remember we filmed that episode at the Restaurant in Harrison hot Springs. As of yet I haven't seen part 2 of 'Red Earth Uncovered'. We filmed the thing in June of 2016.

Thomas Steenburg

Edited by steenburg
Typo

Thomas,

Second episode aired yesterday here in Nanaimo, airs again I think tomorrow at 4 PM. Enjoyed the both episodes.

Pat...

Ok, Thomas, I have never seen that "BC was great" episode aired, so I might actually appear in it. ;-)

You'll enjoy Part 2, there's lots of places we both recognize in Bill's tour with Shayla.