Update on Olympic Project nest sites

BigTreeWalker

12 hours ago, Marty said:

If I come across as aggressive it's unintentional and I apologize, I come from a community of people that are largely skeptical and apathetical of the topic, and have no reason to look at their evidence because it's just stories. The question I receive the most is where are all these researchers who claim to see them and why aren't they prepared to film one?  Well, the new Hadrian's Wall experiment might yield something interesting.

I personally believe the researchers, but even I can't ignore the fact that most Bigfoot stuff is shared via word of mouth. Can't just go off what someone says, I don't care who you are you gotta back up what you say if your goal is to prove the thing exists. I think more researchers need the direct aide of Hunters and Naturalists. Something isn't working, it's been 50 years since the PGF and (if it's real, though I have no doubt personally) then the factors that lead to a great encounter are there, and not being utilized.

I'll go on record in saying I don't care for Tracks, we have enough, and unless we're using them to locate individuals in a pursuit I'm just not interested. Welcomed but alas. Witness reports are always welcomed, but if we do nothing with them then they're just stories in the mass of reports. I don't like tail chasing, gotta think outside the box for an intelligent species. 

There are plenty of books, podcasts, YT, and FB researchers. It is hit or miss as far as quality of Bigfoot research. It's not as open ended as you describe it though. Since you mentioned you are coming from a paranormal investigator background, I will wager it is much easier to hit a hot spot or make contact with a spirit entity than it is with BF.  The BF community is trying to improve on applying some kind of scientific analysis to their research. I see that more and more.

Edited by Arvedis

On 12/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, Marty said:

I don't mean chattin' **** literally, My wording was a bit harsh I in no way actually disapprove of them I actually am an avid fan of their work, however, what I mean is there are countless stories they have but nothing to show for. Someone like a casual viewer will just disregard their stories as a falsehood until some sort of documentation backs their stories up, and this usually means hard evidence.  I remember they had talked about witnessing these creatures scale a mountainside with ease, but why did no one film it? That's what I mean. Is it really that hard for someone to accompany with a small HD Gopro camera for potential video documentation? 

I also have my problems with Steve, and his community for hoarding information and not releasing it, they are the ones truly chattin ****. 

Marty,

While I can sympathize with your frustration concerning lack of clear video, like Norseman said it's apples and oranges to compare ghost hunting techniques with those of most Bigfoot researchers.  For a few reasons...

You are dealing with video and audio which are orders of magnitude more complex than investigating a potentially haunted house.  How long is your average ghost hunt?  6 hours or so?  Usually indoors, I would assume.  Ceilings, walls, mostly level floors.  Maybe even power, if you are lucky.  Vehicles parked just right outside. 

When we go out, we are in rough terrain and miles into the woods and mountains.  At the mercy of the weather and limited to what we can carry on our backs.    Any video, thermal, audio, casting materials, etc. has to fight for space with food, first aid, water, firearms, and the other usual hiking/camping supplies.  Just keeping the equipment charged is a struggle.  Cameras eat batteries like nobody's business, especially in night vision mode.  Same thing for SD cards when you are recording in 4K.  No matter how you arrange it, it is difficult to keep video going constantly for several hours a night...night after night...just with what you can carry in your pack.  

We are not among the lucky ones who can just set up stationary right off the road and start recording.  It just doesn't seem to happen that way in this area.  We have gotten the vast majority of our activity while we are on the move at night.  If we stop and try to set up a quick base to record, it seems that things will quiet down.  You can run audio constantly, and that has been one of the goals that we met this past month.  We now have several small audio recorders that we can run constantly.  However, trying to film around you continually is difficult...moving through the woods at night, usually not on an actual path...you spend a lot of time just making sure that you are not going to break your neck.  We have been experimenting with ways to be ready in case we have a close encounter with a Sasquatch at night so that we might be able to get some sort of video evidence.  I even picked up an action cam that has been converted to night vision from a ghost hunting shop.  I wear it on my chest rig and try to keep it running as much as possible.  The range is limited, even with an external IR source.  Battery usage is still an issue.  We are experimenting with external power sources, but keeping a USB plug into a chest mounted camera while pushing through the brush at night is easier said than done.   

Then, factor in that (at least in my experience) smaller groups seem to have better luck encountering activity than larger groups.  That leaves two people to juggle video, audio, thermal, etc.  The whole time trying to maintain some sort of situational awareness and not become overly focused on the equipment itself.  We try to stay aware of what's around us at all times, because I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about these creatures like many on the forum do.  The tendency for activity to occur at exactly the wrong moment for us is maddening and frustrating.  That frustration has nearly caused me to walk away from all of this on more than one occasion.  When you guys see all of my gear go up for sale on the marketplace here you will know that it has finally gotten to be too much and that I have just taken up bird watching.  The clearest 'Sasquatch" howl (I put that in parenthesis because I didn't see what made it, but it closely matches other audio that has been posted here)  that we ever heard happened a few seconds after we turned out camera off to change batteries, regroup, and get something to eat.  We got a Zoom H4N Pro after that to keep running in a central location in order to capture any future howls.  That still doesn't do anything about the howl that we heard.  We are just left with anecdotal accounts and video of the aftermath...no real evidence at all.  

Clear video can be obtained, and I hope that we are able to get something compelling ourselves if not something quite a bit more tangible.  But, at the end of the day we are trying to capture video of an unknown biped with unknown abilities and unknown levels of intelligence...in its home habitat where it is able to apparently move much easier than we can.  It's aware of us and, at least according to some accounts, aware of at least the basics of how photography works.  It's a tall order.

Now, compare all of this to a group of people who can just roll up in vehicles, unload their boxes and boxes of gear, walk a few yards into a structure, and set up for a few hours to try and catch an EVP or hear a door slam.  My partner is a lot more into the paranormal side of things than I am, and she enjoys doing ghost hunting type stuff in the abandoned ruins of old settlements that dot the mountains through this region.  Even doing that sort of research is easier than what we do concerning Bigfoot...if nothing else for the stationary aspect of it.  Even though you are still hiking your equipment in, you are able to set up in one spot for most of the time.  Looking for Bigfoot is like looking for an intelligent, stealthy, physically superior needle in a giant, wet, rocky, remote haystack.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 4

On 12/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, BobbyO said:

The specific Huckleberry that was used for each and every nest plus the 'new' February nest were all made with one of only three species of Huckleberry (from a total of twenty six North America wide as per ISU) that are used as a 'birthing aid' for medicinal purposes. There were piles (big piles) of these leaves plucked and piled up directly adjacent to the nest itself.

What kind of birthing aid? Maybe huckleberries would be a convenient vitamin food source for an infant in the wild.

"The leaves are antiseptic, astringent, carminative and hypoglycaemic]. An infusion of the leaves and sugar have been given to a mother after childbirth to help her regain her strength. A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of diabetes."

Florist's Huckleberry.

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Vaccinium+ovatum

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

"The leaves are antiseptic, astringent, carminative and hypoglycaemic. An infusion of the leaves and sugar have been given to a mother after childbirth to help her regain her strength. A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of diabetes."

Florist's Huckleberry.

had to look up what carminative is:  "a drug that relieves flatulence."

11 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

had to look up what carminative is:  "a drug that relieves flatulence."

In the Victorian era? The Vapors.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Marty said:

........Why can Ghost Hunters (like myself) bring cameras and are always ready to film something but top dog Bigfooters can't? Doesn't make sense to me personally.........

As Norse wrote, Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin proved a half century ago that film isn't going to cut muster. It is simply a colossal waste of effort. It has to be a carcass. Nothing else will do, including (IMHO) the supposed Holy DNA Grail.

With ghosts, nobody expects you to shoot one down and lay it out on a slab. With sasquatchery, that is precisely what the High Priests of Science demand.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

As Norse wrote, Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin proved a half century ago that film isn't going to cut muster. It is simply a colossal waste of effort. It has to be a carcass. Nothing else will do, including (IMHO) the supposed Holy DNA Grail.

With ghosts, nobody expects you to shoot one down and lay it out on a slab. With sasquatchery, that is precisely what the High Priests of Science demand.

Exactly.

I could present 15 minutes of clear 4 K footage of one of these creatures...and 75% of people would immediately call it fake and me the new Todd Standing.

A body is the only thing that will convince people.  Period.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, Marty said:

If we could find out what foods they specifically choose over others, then we could use that to our advantage. 

Slow running ghost hunters is one of their favs. They are omnivorous so being a vegetarian would not help.

Seriously, there are seasonal, regional favorites. PNW: bear, deer, elk, salmon, trout, frogs, rabbits, pika,  berries, leaves and more.  We learn animal inventories in our respective search areas.

The funniest comment made to me in the woods was when a camper came up to me and said " there is something wrong with these woods..... there are no animals!"  He was correct in a way. Most were scared away.

So, we have animal presence and 'no animals' to work with.   Prey animals get eaten / migrate away.  The constant is the water supply. Finding the hidden watering holes / artesian wells is a factor to work on.

• Upvote 1

@BlackRockBigfoot  You're exactly right about the challenge that space within one's backpack presents when out searching for results. Each piece of gear cries out to be brought yet the selection of one item deprives the selection of another, or more. It's a critical balancing act.

I'd love to be able to use an ATV, load it up with gear, and drive to, or near, the intended location.  That's not going to happen where I go as it is not allowed. 

• Upvote 1

SSR Team
20 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

"The leaves are antiseptic, astringent, carminative and hypoglycaemic]. An infusion of the leaves and sugar have been given to a mother after childbirth to help her regain her strength. A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of diabetes."

Florist's Huckleberry.

Thats the cowboy, Vaccinium Ovatum ! ;)

We had a bumper crop this year. Took my son n law bear hunting this fall. I can always call in a bear with a mouth call. Not this time! We joined in and gorged ourselves too.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

call me the new Todd Standing.

Not unless you have a pristine white ghillie suit and take promo photos of yourself walking across a creek.

Found this while following another thread and it got me laughing!

todd3.jpg

Edited by Arvedis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arvedis said:

Not unless you have a pristine white ghillie suit and take promo photos of yourself walking across a creek.

Found this while following another thread and it got me laughing!

todd3.jpg

Hahahaha!

Normally I don't bust on him as much as others do, but that is hilarious.

Helluva laundry service out there.  

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic