Update on Olympic Project nest sites

BigTreeWalker

3 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

There are also survival schools that do the same thing as S.E.R.E schools.

Useful Coastal Plants Oregon. Edible, medicinal, and useful, native plants (lifesongadventures.com) Look at the address on this site .

I am not trying to argue that they might not have found something maybe special.  It is just that they are saying that they could be ape. When they still have no proof of them being ape. In the program there was a part where the two Gentleman happen to walk up on maybe the creator of of one of these nest. Whatever was making one of those nest was trying to evade them suggest that it must have not been one of these creatures. Why would something that big that can throw stones evade and back track those trackers.  It truly had the high ground and could have easly attacked them. Yet it did nothing. So this site has now been blown. Again I say " nowhere else are there any nest like this ".  

If you were hunting this ridge to get to these nest how would you approach it?  I have an idea and yes it would work. But it would take allot of gutz  to do it. You would hunt this ridge just like you would hunt any other animal. I am just being the devil's advocate. I do not see them as as an ape or a gorilla/chimp.  Why? They can out smart us. You can say that bear can do the same thing but bears get killed and they can be seen when after they have been shot. When these things get shot, people get scared to bring them in for fear of being prosecuted.  Big diffrence. They look much like us.

You stated they could be military SERE students. And now this might be survival students from a local private school? I feel that’s a stretch.

You seem to be coming from this angle because you don’t think they are apes. But most assuredly they ARE apes. Just as we are! Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine. Humans are apes from a scientific perspective. And Bigfoot based on supposed morphology is going to be an ape as well.

But I do not think the Olympic project is calling Bigfoot a Gorilla. Or something like a two legged Gorilla.

They are only saying that the closest examples of the nests they found are most like Gorilla nests.

And I agree with you that Bigfoot has to have a higher IQ than Chimps, Bonobos, Orangs and Gorillas. Put probably lower on the scale than Neanderthals, Denisovans and Homo Sapiens. They don’t seem to make tools, but they walk bipedally and they are still the reigning hide and seek champion…..

We won’t know what they are until a body is examined. A brain case is measured. DNA is tested. And they are placed on the tree of life.

28 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Dude, are you in Panama or something?

LMAO! Nope, and glad of it. Things are just a little late I guess. My last solo was back in May and I did do a lot of seasonal camping with my spouse until the end of Sept. Can't wait to slap on the dash cam and go.

Admin
7 hours ago, hiflier said:

Don't agree either. Patty after all looks about as far away from an Orangutan as we are

Of course, I've never seen a BF and the Olympic project members have., maybe they're right.

7 hours ago, norseman said:

You seem to be coming from this angle because you don’t think they are apes. But most assuredly they ARE apes. Just as we are! Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine. Humans are apes from a scientific perspective. And Bigfoot based on supposed morphology is going to be an ape as well.

Norseman

No, I will go at this as them and us being primates. Since that is what we are.  I am just having a hard time understanding this. They had a chance to get their hands on a specimen off that ridge. Going down into those fingers.  This why I asked on how one would hunt that ridge. If I was to hunt that ridge I would set up teams to either get a photo or a specimen by using the wind.  But then again most ridges the wind can work against you. 

What was odd in the documentary was when those two hikers from the op walked up on that nest builder. It was the route that whatever the animal they spooked took the high route. So that meant it was watching them and stood it's ground. Bears would just move on. Deer will stomp the ground first and move on a few yards and look back. I am sure that elk would do the same.  But only something like this creature would have the fore site to the high ground and backtrack.  Besides man being able to think like this. This creature had the fore site to sit back and observe. This is why I went to the idea of it being a S.E.R.E student. But everyone is right the military would not go on private land. Most hunters respect private land owner property. So the only thing that these two hikers who went back into this area could have observed. Which they said was in the middle of making a nest could be a Bigfoot.

My only suggestion is to people is to watch the documentary it was very well presented. I really enjoyed it and hope that more does come out of this. Keep the debate going and push this Documentary so that they may get more funded.

10 hours ago, hiflier said:

......Things are just a little late I guess..........

That's interesting. Winter came a bit early or with strong, wet storms here in the PNW and Alaska. I shouldn't be surprised. It's always like this. One area of the continent is getting harsh weather, and another area is enjoying great weather.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:28 AM, ShadowBorn said:

Norseman

No, I will go at this as them and us being primates. Since that is what we are.  I am just having a hard time understanding this. They had a chance to get their hands on a specimen off that ridge. Going down into those fingers.  This why I asked on how one would hunt that ridge. If I was to hunt that ridge I would set up teams to either get a photo or a specimen by using the wind.  But then again most ridges the wind can work against you. 

What was odd in the documentary was when those two hikers from the op walked up on that nest builder. It was the route that whatever the animal they spooked took the high route. So that meant it was watching them and stood it's ground. Bears would just move on. Deer will stomp the ground first and move on a few yards and look back. I am sure that elk would do the same.  But only something like this creature would have the fore site to the high ground and backtrack.  Besides man being able to think like this. This creature had the fore site to sit back and observe. This is why I went to the idea of it being a S.E.R.E student. But everyone is right the military would not go on private land. Most hunters respect private land owner property. So the only thing that these two hikers who went back into this area could have observed. Which they said was in the middle of making a nest could be a Bigfoot.

My only suggestion is to people is to watch the documentary it was very well presented. I really enjoyed it and hope that more does come out of this. Keep the debate going and push this Documentary so that they may get more funded.

Did it circle back on them or was there another one in the area that circled around?  That seems to be very plausible.

SSR Team
On 11/26/2021 at 3:00 AM, Huntster said:

Indeed, including on Scorpion Ridge, right above the Bluff Creek PG film site. Rob Alley reported a nest that was photographed on Prince of Wales Island in Alaska. It was reported to the Alaska Fish and Game biologist for the area, and there were both hair and scat samples taken from the site.

On the money H, and i'll add regarding the POW Island nest, in the picture of it there is Bearberry (Arctostphylos) being used in the construction of it as per a flora ID app i use.

'Pregnancy: According to studies some active components of bearberries have been claimed to prevent miscarriages, and ensures a better overall health of both mother and child during pregnancy. Even post pregnancy bearberries have been known to help the mother recover quickly.'

https://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/amazing-health-benefits-of-bearberry-w1217-544463/ 

SSR Team
14 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

Did it circle back on them or was there another one in the area that circled around?  That seems to be very plausible.

They don't know, no visual.

They did find (and cast) good foot prints and an even better hand print the following day there, the hand print was bedded in to the soil of an uprooted tree where whatever made it had the ability to remain virtually hidden from them by the uprooted tree, but could obviously observe the area and the direction that the two guys were in.

I'll ask if i can add some pics of it all plus the hand print, to give better context. 

3 hours ago, BobbyO said:

........ i'll add regarding the POW Island nest, in the picture of it there is Bearberry (Arctostphylos) being used in the construction of it as per a flora ID app i use.

'Pregnancy: According to studies some active components of bearberries have been claimed to prevent miscarriages, and ensures a better overall health of both mother and child during pregnancy. Even post pregnancy bearberries have been known to help the mother recover quickly.'.......

The birthing aspect of nests made me curious about gorilla nesting:

https://www.berggorilla.org/en/gorillas/general/behaviour/articles-behaviour/gorilla-nest-types-in-kahuzi-biega/

........The day nests are constructed by the members of the group who are capable of doing so. The unique aspect of the day nests (upper or lower) is that they do not have dung in the nests; instead urine and some dung can be observed around them. The night nests always have dung and urine either in or on the edge of the nest. Dung and urine are indicators of real gorilla nests. Some group members leave dung inside their nests and sleep on top of it in the night (possibly to stay warm during the night). The silverback does not construct night nests, but rather digs a sort of bowl on the ground and simply sits on top. The larger dung balls and the size of the "bowl" will indicate that it is the nest of the silverback. The silverback rarely sleeps on top of his dung, which is usually outside of the nest. Other members may not sleep on top of their dung, but rather their dung is on the edge of the nests. 10% of the Grauer's gorilla night nests bear squashed dung, and in 90% of cases dung is found - not having been squashed - on the edge of the night nests in the highland sector of the KBNP. Flies are always observed flying on top of the night nests rather than the day nests. It is another indicator to tell which is a night nest and which a day nest.........

This makes the scat found at the POW Island site interesting. I think it was found on the side of the nest, not in it. This behavior also mirrors that of most Alaskan big game in its crepuscular activity; most active in the mornings and evenings and a rest during mid-day and mid-night. Caribou, constantly on the move, are a notable exception.They literally graze at 7mph-10mph. It's pretty rare to see them bedded down, unless it's on snow patches or windy ridges where they get relief from bugs.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
SSR Team

No problem guys ! 👍🏻

What a neat project and a pretty professional looking documentary. I'd love to be involved in something like that. <sigh>

• gigantor unfeatured this topic