Suggestions Appreciated: Field Gear for Squatchin'

Talmadge Mooseman

BFF Patron
58 minutes ago, MIB said:

There are no requirements for non-hunters.    There's no government agency with authority to create or enforce such a law.   It would be akin to requiring people to wear purple to work on Tuesday.  Who has the right to do that?   There's also little likelihood that the general public is aware of a hunting season going on in any particular area.   It's like expecting non-fans to know the football scores.   It's incumbent on hunters to be aware of others who have an equal right to be in the woods, to be concerned about their safety and their sense of security.

The important thing, for safety, is to be deliberate, not reactive.   If there isn't time to be sure of the target and what is behind it, there isn't time to take a safe shot.   Period.   That's how I taught it in hunter's safety class when I was doing those, that's how I teach it now.

Good thought processes if taken to heart, I trust but verify and still try to wear orange just to be safe in Fall and Winter, though a non-hunter.  

Of course, purple days are great all week long for some with alma maters that matter, purple and gold for others maybe.  I'll be waiting for that bill to pass--not holding my breath though.

Edited by bipedalist

19 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'm asking, is that even a thing? Does any state or province not require hunter orange to be prominently worn during firearm deer, elk, antelope, or moose seasons?

Hunter orange is NOT mandatory in British Columbia or Alberta at all, although some will wear it going to and from their hunting area. Of course it is also common in BC to go out and not see another hunter for days, depending on where you hunt.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

The requirement applies to hunters.       There is no requirement for hikers or non hunters to wear it during deer season.    However might be a good idea to wear it during hunting season.    When hunters get tired of shooting each other they might mistake hikers for deer.      Washington "protects" well used trails by prohibiting hunting or shooting near them.   That only applies if hunters follow the rules.   One of the hunters I came across was inside the bounderies of a county park that not only prohibited hunting but prohibited possession of weapons.    He was making so much noise I thought sure he was a BF coming through the brush. 

I was addressing Inc’s Post that I quoted. He was addressing only the legality concerning hunters. But my advice to the OP stands. If he is concerned about safety while hiking during rifle hunting season?

Wear orange.

I do not wear orange while I’m out hunting Bigfoot. Apes have trichromatic vision......as we are also Apes. So it’s a deterrent against other hunters mistaking you for an animal and shooting you. But if your goal is to shoot another species of Ape? Not so much.... Although reading the Missing 411 books, it’s noted that hunting alone while wearing hunter orange makes it a higher probability that you will disappear. It has not happened yet.....

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I wonder if BF is smart enough to know that someone wearing camo is hunting them?    For all we know BF might fallow orange clad deer hunters hoping a wounded deer drops near them.  Thinking of it  I recall several witness reports of BF picking up a human deer kill and walking off with it.    Maybe they would happily allow you to see them if they get to keep the deer?     Next time one of you hunters gets a deer,  offer it.   You never know what might be watching from the wood line.       Maybe the BF would allow you to take a selfie with him before he walks off with your kill?     Kidding of course!   Maybe not. . That would be really something.       

This thread reminds me of a hike I did with a female friend about 10 years ago. It was during hunting season. The route out brought us up and over three mountains while the return trip led us along a lake's shore for about 4 miles.  I wore a hunter's orange vest and gave one for her to wear as well. We heard shots in the early morning. 

In this particular area, there are rules about wilderness camping. You have to be so many feet from a water source, so many feet from a trail, etc. Well, we encountered a rag-tag, tarp encampment designed to accommodate at least a dozen hunters. It was set up right on the trail and right next to shore. The tree branches all around camp had empty beer bottles adorning them like Christmas ornaments.

No sooner did we share our opinion about this operation than we heard shots nearby.  Never saw any hunters, thank God. As we proceeded down the trail, no other hikers we encountered had hunters orange on. We made sure to alert them to the presence of both hunters and beer bottles. Sometimes, you never know what you might encounter and that day I was thankful I had a glowing, neon-orange vest on that even a hunter's hangover could see.

Edited by wiiawiwb