Suggestions Appreciated: Field Gear for Squatchin'

Talmadge Mooseman

What about field gear for personal protection?  I know fire arms are quite effective, but what about other stuff.?  There's a lot of protective gear out there:

Tasers, Walking Sticks with built in tasers, laser/light blinding guns, bear spray vs. bear flares - stuff I haven't even heard of, I'm sure.  I suppose the tool depends on the animal it is used against.

Honestly, what concerns me the most is the psychopathic human.  No grizzlies here.

As for bear pen flares, they remind me of when I was a kid and would shoot firecrackers out of the end of my pellet gun.  I wouldn't want to use that against a big bear.

The thing that comes to mind is don't go cheap on bear spray. And make sure the product is bear DETERRENT not bear repellent. Do not use the spray on anything thinking it will keep a bear away from say, a tent, or gear. The spray will actually turn into a sweet ATTRACTANT if used in that manner and create a very dangerous situation at camp! Also don't wait until the moment it is needed, if it ever is, to learn about how to use the stuff. Spend the money and buy a 'practice' unit in order to familiarize one's self so that using the real thing becomes a smooth operation. Bear spray is color tinted so one knows where the spray is going. Bears com in with their heads low so aim low and then move the aim higher. Whatever happens could be over in ten seconds or less so make sure.

Even so, folks will want to make sure that the REAL spray works so a quick test fire would be good, but DO NOT do the test fire of a real bear deterrent spray around the camp anywhere for the reasons mentioned above regarding the residue. Pay attention to wind direction- which is common sense. It used to be a spray would shoot about 30' and last 7 seconds but the capacities available today can last 10 seconds or longer. A lot of information comes with whatever brand one buys and reading that info is strongly suggested. Many small but powerful LED flashlights come with a strobe feature which can be effective against bears if shined into their eyes. And also, bear spray WILL work against a Human psychopath although they Human will probably see the spray coming and know what it is. A bear may too if it has been sprayed before.

This is all worst case scenario stuff as situations for any encounter will vary.   

On 3/30/2018 at 6:42 AM, Talmadge Mooseman said:

If you are out hunting/squatching and it is hunting season, what are the best ways to let hunters know you are in the area?  Yell?  If so, what is the best phrase.  I know this sounds like a weird question, but you know how bicyclists have standard keywords to let other

bikers know of their intentions.  Of course, I could always say, "human in the area, please don't shoot me!"

Wear hunter orange.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Wear hunter orange.

Always a good idea during hunting season, especially in states or provinces where hunter safety vests are NOT required by law!

4 hours ago, cmknight said:

Always a good idea during hunting season, especially in states or provinces where hunter safety vests are NOT required by law!

I'm asking, is that even a thing? Does any state or province not require hunter orange to be prominently worn during firearm deer, elk, antelope, or moose seasons?

Good question. For hunters, yes, it is required, but for hikers and trail walkers I think it's encouraged but not mandatory? It should be mandatory though if one's back yard abuts land open to hunters. Should be common sense anyway. Hunters knows to keep a distance but a bullet does not.

7 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Good question. For hunters, yes, it is required, but for hikers and trail walkers I think it's encouraged but not mandatory? It should be mandatory though if one's back yard abuts land open to hunters. Should be common sense anyway. Hunters knows to keep a distance but a bullet does not.

It would be an enormous overreach of any government to impose such restrictions upon everyday citizens. It can't be done. However, I'm pre-supposing every state / province to require such from those with firearm hunting permits, as a condition of being issued such a permit.

Admin

Might throw in a small handbook on survival that shows what plants are edible (and which are not), some basic first aid techniques, and other tips in case you get lost. One should always have a basic knowledge of these things before venturing out, but it never hurts to have another reference available.....just in case.

12 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'm asking, is that even a thing? Does any state or province not require hunter orange to be prominently worn during firearm deer, elk, antelope, or moose seasons?

According to this guide, there are still states where it’s encouraged but not mandatory during modern firearm season for deer and or elk. Here in Washington it’s required for the deer and elk modern firearm season and nothing else. Turkey and waterfowl, Bear, Varmint, etc, plus archery and muzzleloader for deer and elk.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/blog/blaze-orange-regulations-every-state/

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

The requirement applies to hunters.       There is no requirement for hikers or non hunters to wear it during deer season.    However might be a good idea to wear it during hunting season.    When hunters get tired of shooting each other they might mistake hikers for deer.      Washington "protects" well used trails by prohibiting hunting or shooting near them.   That only applies if hunters follow the rules.   One of the hunters I came across was inside the bounderies of a county park that not only prohibited hunting but prohibited possession of weapons.    He was making so much noise I thought sure he was a BF coming through the brush. 

15 hours ago, hiflier said:

False.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/blog/blaze-orange-regulations-every-state/

MIB

(oops, Norseman beat me to it)

Edited by MIB

BFF Patron

I see nothing in the Washington regulations that address anyone but hunters and only certain classes of hunters.     .     Where do you get the requirement for non hunters?  

Edited by SWWASAS

There are no requirements for non-hunters.    There's no government agency with authority to create or enforce such a law.   It would be akin to requiring people to wear purple to work on Tuesday.  Who has the right to do that?   There's also little likelihood that the general public is aware of a hunting season going on in any particular area.   It's like expecting non-fans to know the football scores.   It's incumbent on hunters to be aware of others who have an equal right to be in the woods, to be concerned about their safety and their sense of security.

The important thing, for safety, is to be deliberate, not reactive.   If there isn't time to be sure of the target and what is behind it, there isn't time to take a safe shot.   Period.   That's how I taught it in hunter's safety class when I was doing those, that's how I teach it now.

BFF Patron

Of course.     My point was that the use of the word False is not conditional where there are two classes of people.   Hunters and Non-hunters.   Even hunters have subclasses in some states that do not require wearing orange or yellow.   At times my math education introduces set theory into my thought processes.   Believe me that is not a good thing.   Shudder!