Can Bigfoot "Throw" his voice?

Talmadge Mooseman

I had one echo a scream off the opposite shore of a lake.  Thought it was a friend for a few seconds.  Does that count?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Mimicry and "throwing" a call is what I believe to be two different things.  Even a ventriloquist doesn't "throw" their voice - they use misdirection by making a dummy move as though they're making the noise.

When one hears a response, a movement, a noise of motion in critter country - it's a safe assumption that something is actually there moving.  I've had a tiger stalk me for three days and nights before I killed it on the third night.  One thinks of a tiger moving silently - and that's close - but even they make a bit of noise as they move.

Most times, with these critters, one assumes that there is only one - and that he's moving soundlessly - or as we see here - a logical question - can they throw their voice?

The more likely scenario is that there is more than one around you - and you're only hearing one at a time - a great tactic for confusing someone stationary into reacting to the different directions they 'hear' the sound coming from.

Just my opinion.

When you've eliminated all other options - sounds from different locations - the fact that voices cannot be 'thrown' - and you're not hearing them actually moving to another location - you have only one possibility left - there are more than one present.

There is one aspect as well that should be considered.  Hearing degradation/loss.  When folks age, their hearing deteriorates.  Of course exposure to loud noises can accelerate this.   When hearing loss occurs, not only do you lose the high frequency ranges first, but also the direction of which you think the noise comes from can be muddled.  I've spent many hours next to loud guitars and firearms when I was younger.  Nowadays, I find myself more frequently looking in a different direction when I hear a noise. (Most noticeable if someone calls my name from a distance, I seem to be looking almost in the opposite directon from where the noise came from.  Usually after the 2nd or 3rd time they holler, I figure it out).

Anyone ever consider echo. :) 

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, Talmadge Mooseman said:

Many, if not most of us, have heard rather suspicious sounds being imitated.  Close, but not quite right:  owls, misc birds, frogs, inanimate objects, etc.

Sometimes, those sounds move positions quickly and quietly.  I suppose it could be a different BF, but has the creature been suspicioned to throw his/her voice like

it is coming from a direction in which it did not?

That said, is there any equipment that can detect true direction vs. a "thrown voice"? 

I'm not aware of any device, and I'd surprised if one existed with all the subtleties involved in vocalizations. I'm always amazed at how quick some are to assume that bigfoot is mimicking another animal. Where's the evidence that this is happening? Eye witnesses accounts? I haven't read or heard of any. We must remember that forests can distort sound, volume, and direction of sound in many ways. Just because something sounds far away or close or coming from north or south doesn't mean that this is the case. 

On 7/18/2018 at 11:30 PM, FarArcher said:

Mimicry and "throwing" a call is what I believe to be two different things.  Even a ventriloquist doesn't "throw" their voice - they use misdirection by making a dummy move as though they're making the noise.

When one hears a response, a movement, a noise of motion in critter country - it's a safe assumption that something is actually there moving.  I've had a tiger stalk me for three days and nights before I killed it on the third night.  One thinks of a tiger moving silently - and that's close - but even they make a bit of noise as they move.

Most times, with these critters, one assumes that there is only one - and that he's moving soundlessly - or as we see here - a logical question - can they throw their voice?

The more likely scenario is that there is more than one around you - and you're only hearing one at a time - a great tactic for confusing someone stationary into reacting to the different directions they 'hear' the sound coming from.

Just my opinion.

When you've eliminated all other options - sounds from different locations - the fact that voices cannot be 'thrown' - and you're not hearing them actually moving to another location - you have only one possibility left - there are more than one present.

Ummmm...how did we not catch this before? A tiger stalked you for three nights before you killed it?!?!

Tell us more!!