Trail Cam

wiiawiwb

Pit vipers do not "see" infrared with their eyes.  They have openings between their eyes and nostrils --- "pits". The openings lead to a heat sensitive organ. The heat sensitive organ will react to small differences in temperature.

I don't need to check out boas and pythons. I am around garter snakes and rarely rattlesnakes.

An animal that could see IR would be blinded in daytime.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Remember that the eyes are an organ too.   So seeing, no matter what the method, is just parsing the definition of "seeing".    As I understand snakes are have terrible vision so you are probably right about blind in the daytime.   

• 3 weeks later...

I retrieved my first set of videos after leaving my Stealthcam 4K out for three weeks. I placed it in a remote area where last year I got two woods knocks close by within 6 seconds of each other. I found two game trails that merged and used my cam plus another one from a buddy. I was disappointed to find there were only 7 videos on my cam. All were deer; two at night and 5 during the day.

The good news is the quality of the videos was spectacular and the audio was excellent as well. I'm buying a second 4K cam today ($179) and putting both out in another area where there has been one sighting and one encounter (close) by two people I know.  We'll see what it comes up with in that area.

I'm very pleased with the results of the camo disguise using the actual wood bark. It literally disappeared from sight when I hung it on a tree of the same species. I used a large picture hanger and zip tie on the back of the cam instead of the strap.

Edited by wiiawiwb

BFF Patron

If you think about it take a picture of it on the tree the next time you check it.    Curious as to how far away you are when you can no longer see it?   I think BF has a detection range for out of place objects quite a ways out but cannot imagine that it is better than ours.    Since they are likely to have eyesight degrade with age like humans without artificial aids at some point and age they might just blunder into something they cannot see. 

Admin
10 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I was disappointed to find there were only 7 videos on my cam. All were deer; two at night and 5 during the day.

It should be a long term project...  after a while, you'll pretty much reach a conclusion.

.....that I'll never get a video of a sasquatch no matter how many trail cams are out there?

^^^^ That might be.   It's not going to stop me from trying.   Couple reasons.   First, there are places I want to watch that I just don't have time to cover adequately in person.   Trail cams, regardless of their limitations, remain the best option available.   Second, I hunt the same areas I'm researching so pictures of normal game animals are of value to me as well.    And following up on both, having an idea if there are other people also passing through the area is of great value.   A third ... merely being out there taking care of my cameras exposes me to the opportunities for an "encounter" (of whatever bigfooty sort) I wouldn't have if I stayed at home watching TV 'cause I didn't have cameras to go visit.

I see no 'lose' in trail cams whether they get bigfoot or not.

MIB

• Upvote 3

Great scouting tool. I have had Deer, Turkey, Black Bear, Elk, Moose and Cougar on mine on my ranch.

Admin
16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

.....that I'll never get a video of a sasquatch no matter how many trail cams are out there?

or that they are so rare and few in numbers, they may be near extinction. That the probability of capturing an image of one is almost nil, like hitting the mega jackpot...

Ofcourse, I agree with MIB, it's fun and I'm not giving up.

BFF Patron

There is a lot of mythology about the ability to photograph a BF at all.  Some claim it cannot be done.  If they are flesh and blood,  rare as they may be, it is a matter of figuring out where they are, and deploying cameras appropriately.    The "where they are" is the hard part.    I honestly think it might be more likely to find a skeleton than photograph some rare elusive creature that is very good at avoiding all things human.  At least the skeleton does have the ability to hide from you should you stumble upon it.      

Im not convinced it is hard. But Im super convinced no one will take the photo seriously.

BFF Patron

Certainly not main stream science.  

I agree with Norse and SWWASAS that a picture will always be suspect. I'm taking movies so it adds a little "life" to a still shot, and it will be done in 4K so maybe the images will be a little better, but in the end, it will always be suspect. That's ok because I'm doing it for my benefit and that of a few friends and not trying to convince the world.

Seeing a PGF-walking equivalent in 4K from a very specific location I decided in an area I scouted then narrowed down would be "my Superbowl ring" and my "heavyweight championship of the world".

BFF Patron

Accepted by science or not, I sure would like to see a 4K version of the P/G film,      Should I ever get one I will just post it and say that the guy that made the costume must be really good because I cannot find a zipper in the high res image.