Adjustable Tent Canopy

Talmadge Mooseman

I'm looking to use a tent canopy instead of a tarp over my tent.  I think I want to have adjustable height so that I can keep it rather low so the wind does not get to it.

It just seems easier.  How do you think this would work?  Of course, it is just that more for our forest friends to destroy!

This probably needs to be moved the field section.

If weight isnt an issue sure. But something like light like relite could be strung above your tent in trees?

What is the purpose of the tent canopy?

I would suggest a new tent, get a 3 or 4 season with a decent rain fly.  Can be staked down to prevent wind issues.  Keep it waterproofed (spray can) and you will be high and dry.

My tent (Eureka) has withstood thunderstorms and high winds when set up properly.

Good luck!

I’ve always done a tarp canopy as well if I’m out camping for more than a few days.    I’ve had times where it’s 5-6 days of decent rainfall, definitely glad for it in those times.  Also helps keep the sun off the tent and a little cooler.  

The sun is an issue. I have stretched a 16x20 light duty with the grommets over not only my 10x13 tent when camping with my spouse and dog but sneaked the entrance of a screen rom under as well. In rain it gave enough cover to sit in a couple of chairs without being trapped in a tent. That was car camping for two weeks in a state park though. In the wild for a weekend I once used a plastic 9x12 somewhat angled as a lean-to which has kept things fairly dry but if ir is sunny with no natural tree canopy it can get pretty warm. I usually don't bother unless rain is in the forecast but take one anyway as they weigh nearly nothing. Then too, Nature doesn't always put her trees in convenient places ;) .

How about going light with less weight with a hennessy hammock  which can fit right into your back pack. You can go farther and move faster and always be on the move. Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about:

amazing-hennessy-hammock-tarp-1-major-pandemic-950-x-632-pusilli.jpg imagesXF45EGD8.jpgrainbow-lakes-hammockbuy-hennessy-hammock-underquilt--for-sale.jpg