Squatchin' Vehicle

Talmadge Mooseman

As far as AWD vs. 4WD, is there any difference between the two when 4WD is fully engaged?  Is one better than the other?  I'm getting into engineering stuff here about how

the drive may be distributed.  Maybe there is no difference.

Redbone, that pic you posted.  Is that a place in Iowa, not too far from Dubuque?

All wheel drive is usually an automatic function, not under your control, engineered into the vehicle, while 4 wheel drive, in most cases, is a driver selected function, with mechanically more positive proportioning of the torque to each wheel. AWD can be driven on any road surface, while  locked in 4WD should only be used on surfaces that allow some slippage of the wheels, to eliminate the chance of torque differences between the wheels to cause binding and possible component breakage.

They each have their place, depending on how you use your vehicle.

2 hours ago, Talmadge Mooseman said:

As far as AWD vs. 4WD, is there any difference between the two when 4WD is fully engaged?  Is one better than the other?  I'm getting into engineering stuff here about how

Redbone, that pic you posted.  Is that a place in Iowa, not too far from Dubuque?

Grannies Subaru has AWD..... it helps gain traction on established roads in bad conditions such as snow or ice. 

4WD is getting more serious for off road travel. And 4WD differential lock aka “locked up” is what rock crawlers and the hard core guys run.

Thanks for the summary on AWD and 4WD.  It is a little embarrassing to have to always ask

can a sedan make it?

With the right tires and having them properly inflated or deflated an AWD can go almost anywhere a 4x4 can go. I'm not talking about the jeeps or SUV's set up for rock climbing .

Those jeeps or trucks are geared differently than your typical 4x4 pick up or SUV.

The issue that arises is ground clearance . That's going to tough if you run into  rough roads .  My personal opinion No a sedan is not a good choice .

Buy yourself a  4x4 pickup 

Edited by 7.62

A big advantage of AWD is maneuverability. A 4WD, even without locking hubs, has a limited turn radius when 4WD is selected. You'll need to do more backin' and fillin' to negotiate tight switchbacks or turn around on a narrow road. For myself, ground clearance and approach angle (a function of ground clearance and the distance the front bumper, brushbar or whatever overhangs the front tires) are critical. A winch can be a saving grace when all else fails and you can't advance any further. A front mounted one is great for pulling someone else's bacon from the fire, but if you get stuck, odds are good you'll need to return whence you came. Most importantly, always remember that Murphy was an optimist!

This is what Im building right now, except Im gonna chop the top.

I bought it for 2000 bucks. And I bought 5 - 35 inch tires and rims for it off craigslist for 350 bucks. Its a 350 with a turbo 400 tranny.

I can beat it out in the woods forever.

Obviously this guy has spent way more on goodies than me. But it shows the value and potential.

• Upvote 1

I'm a big fan of Burbs Norse. I had to chuckle at the second vid though. When we had a 100 year flood in the Helena Valley in '81, we had to go check on some family cut off from the highway. I had to cross a flooded drainage ditch where the access road was washed out in the '68 Suburban I mentioned earlier. 2WD, no posi, stock wheels with mud & snow tires and a 20' ditch with 45° approach and exit and water half way up the doors. Put it in granny gear and rolled through and back out again with nary a stutter. Never had to get a tow out of snow either, even when I had to park 90° to the road while getting a Christmas tree. Backed into the ditch with knee high snow with the chains on and didn't spin a tire getting out.

• Upvote 1

I drove a '72 Suburban for about 10 years, an ex utility company heavy duty 3/4 4x4 complete with big Warn winch in a channel iron bumper, 4.10 gears, and a Detroit Locker rear diff. It was pretty much unstoppable, and hauled my family of 5 plus a couple of German Shepherds to some great mountain campsites. It also hauled all my mining gear 60 miles off pavement to my placer claim often over a couple of years; I'd unload the gear and sleep in the back for a little protection from the local grizz population.

It's nice having some steel around you. When I camperized the '68, I sprayed silver paint on the inside of the  rear side windows before installing 1" styrofoam and covering that with 1\4" pecan finish Masonite paneling. I had no illusions that it would prevent a determined big critter of any stripe from gaining access; the goal was to provide a few critical seconds in which to prepare a warm reception. Other than as shelter from inclement weather I never cared for tents, no real security from large animals and a lot of fabric to get tangled up in during an emergency. I've had them collapse on top of me twice in sudden thunderstorms along the Missouri when the ground became too saturated to hold the stakes and wind blew them down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, Talmadge Mooseman said:

nope.... not in Iowa any more :)

I have been able to get through some seriously bad roads with the Suburban in AWD, and not locked into 4WD. It's nice to have the options though.

Edited by Redbone
  • Upvote 1

There cannot be too many vehicles that offer both AWD and 4WD, one would think?

The GM 360 platform, from 2002 through 2009, came stock with rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and full 4x4, with a high/low range transfer case, and optional rear diff locker. You can't ask for much more than that for drive choices in a single vehicle. These are known as the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy. The same years  Buick, Olds, Saab, and Izusu SUVs used the same drivetrain, though some of them lacked the 2 speed transfer case.

Until a month ago, I drove the '05 TralBlazer extensively on logging, mining, and fire trails for 4 years, and was very pleased with the performance, both on the trails and on pavement. The only mods I made to make it a bit more trail capable were a 2.5" suspension lift, and bigger all terrain tires, going up from the stock 245/65/17 to 245/70/17, for another 1" ground clearance. These trucks are usually available for much lower prices than the Jeeps and Japanese SUVs of similar age and mileage. Definitely worth a look.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic