Squatchin' Vehicle

Talmadge Mooseman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had an Avalanche. It was 4wd and could carry everything secured. It was big though, suburban sized. Now I have a 4d Wrangler and small trailer. I went out yesterday (w/o trailer by myself) and I was able to squeeze between trees that a truck would not have. Lay down the back seats or recline the front seats to sleep. 

I was was scouting a large area yesterday and I have the soft top and 1/2 doors version so the top half of the doors came off and I could hear everything as if I’m standing outside. 

It will go anywhere any other 4wd will go and body panels are not super expensive, mods infinite. 

I will I’ll always have a Wrangler for AZ off-roading. 

27575A1F-A268-4980-A7CD-BBF2C4B1CC59.jpeg

5350CF48-D026-4DA8-BE95-3F09BF83C8A4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Yep, Caenus, it's a good, sound looking rig. Back end sits well with the trailer, too. Probably not more than 80 lbs. on the tongue? BTW, been some time- how've ya been? Been after that Mogollon for a while now.

Edited by hiflier

Hi!  I wasn’t sure anyone would remember me, it has been a while. I have lurked at Wade’s site a few times before it shut down so figured I’d pop back over here. 

I’m still heading out there regularly...a couple interesting events but no big hairy yet, lol.  I pretty much know every hunter, utv cruiser and park ranger by sight and habits, if not the sound of their vehicle.  

I recently started back back into the area I was in a few years ago (with the rock throwing) after camping a few times with the kids and hearing lots of vocalizations at night. Lots of bear there and rarely another camper. 

The Jeep has been a huge benefit for covering ground and saving time. I can fill up and basically creep along the trails at an idle without making too much sound. I come across deer all time time when I make a turn and the rocks crunching under the tires alerts them. It does not have a deep exhaust growl so the loudest part is the tires on rock. Lol. 

As as an observation platform, I love the fact that I can pull up behind some trees, bushes, etc and stand up or sit on the cross bar of the cage to glass the area. The hood is nice and flat for a spotting scope tripod. 

I take tons of pictures when I am out and generally try the “uninterested/unaware” camper approach. I keep my G20 in a maxpedition bag I use for the camera anytime I am out of the Jeep and the rifle in the back seat, trying not to display any firearms. 

10 hours ago, Caenus said:

......and the rifle in the back seat, trying not to display any firearms.

Yep, the Big Hairy One knows what those things are. Haven't been out much as I'd like past couple of years or so. Pushing 70 now and got myself all gentrified with the spouse by picking up a little 16 ft. hard side last year, our first, so we could feel better sleeping with the big bears out West. Don't know if we'll ever go back to a tent after our decades of living in the dirt. No more being woken up in the middle of the night to stand guard while...well, you get it, Caenus, that indoor plumbin' sure is sweet.

Still load in a fully equipped pack for myself though and always have it with me in the truck. Ya just never know when I'll get the hankering to see what's out there here in Maine. History says not much for a big a place as this but there are still places I like to go. If I'm lucky my two sons will come along and wink at each other behind my back. Poor Ol' Dad LOL. I surprise 'em though 'cause I can still hold my own with about 30 lbs. for a couple of miles- as long as the trail isn't two hours of the steep gnarlies. Good to hear from you and of course I remember you.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:13 PM, NathanFooter said:

I have done research out of a truck, a car and an SUV.  An SUV is the best choice as you can sleep in the back with your audio and video systems mounted to the car and should you leave to hike or investigate, your items are more secure.

Also you have room to respond should something come into camp.  The space in the back allows you have the rear windows down about 4 inches for thermal observation.

I would suggest AWD or 4X4 if you can put the cash into it,  the majority of prolonged  encounters happen at the last most difficult to access campsite in the valley along a river pathway or powerline..

Some models to consider would be Toyota rav4, Toyota 4runner, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep grand Cherokee and the Ford Explorer. 

All of these vehicles have enough space and the off road capabilities for research can be made into great glamping/car camping rigs. The Toyota are great across all years, jeeps from 1999 and up are fairly good and the Ford explorer is great from 2004 and up.

You don't need a Grand Cherokee..those are expensive and offer no extras off road wise. A Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk offers the best of all worlds. 

If I ever become rich this would be my thing to travel in :

earthroamer_2.jpg EarthRoamer-086.jpg

• gigantor featured this topic
On 5/3/2018 at 10:52 PM, Airdale said:

.........Our first "camper" was a 2WD '68 Suburban purchased from my father-in-law for $500 right after Linda and I married in '77. It was originally a Mountain Bell fleet vehicle, olive drab with the 292 straight six and compound low........

I believe that 292 was the greatest engine of all time. When I was in high school my best friend’s dad had a ‘64 GMC pickup, and we went everywhere in that truck. Rick liked soinning his tires regularly, and ended up blowing out the 3 speed tranny several times, but that engine was bullet proof. I’d like one in an Alaskan style swamp buggy.

• Upvote 1

Straight sixes generally are bullet proof. All class 8 truck diesels are straight sixes now. Albeit modern epa crud is hurting their performance.

I agree on the 292 I6. Back in the '60s, '70s, '80s I had several, all ex utility fleet trucks, and never had an engine problem with any of them. They were all 3/4 and 1 ton heavy duty trucks with very low gearing, so top speed was 55 mph, but they'd do that all day, heavily loaded, and never miss a beat. Super simple to work on, too. A full off road emergency repair kit included a fan belt, fuel pump, points, rotor, and distributor cap, any one of which could be replaced in less than 15 minutes.

I just remembered, when we bought that '68 "Burb from Linda's dad it didn't have a rear bumper. I bolted on a rough cut 4x4, when we were out camping the RCBS press could be mounted on it with lag screws any time I ran low on ammo. It was quite robust too; one time a bunch of teen boys in a '70s land barge weren't paying attention and rolled into the rear end when I stopped at an intersection. I had my eyes on the rear view and the front end of their rig bounced up and the whole car slid back at least a foot. I barely felt the impact.

The wife has now claimed the Wrangler permanently, so I had to trade in the beloved Cadillac DTS (my daily driver and mobile couch for the last decade) and get something that will get me to the squatchin’ areas.  Behold the Commander:

2”lift, larger Treadwright Wardens and cargo rack.  Interior cargo management and exterior cargo management is augmented by a handful of quik fists.  More than enough cargo room, power to pull the trailer (aka “the hearse”) and actually rides fairly well.  It is not as capable as the Wrangler, but still gets me where I need to go, easily.

7ED48947-15A3-4305-971E-AC5E4EB85D79.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic