Camo - who uses it and which pattern?

wiiawiwb

On 9/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, Huntster said:

Yeah, bunny boots were and still are issued to Alaskan troops. Also, they are widely available for sale to the public. I still wear them in the winter. Most folks wear them in winter when recreating outdoors.

Filson aint cheap, but you can find it on ebay used cheap....er.

They make an OD green too. 

5 hours ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, you had to wear an undershirt, but the pants didn’t itch. They were some sort of wool blend. Light, too, but very warm. A lot lighter than the Filson brand wool clothing, and at surplus prices, exponentially cheaper.

Other great arctic clothing issue were the VB (bunny) boots and the arctic mittens. I still use both. The mittens allow the user to wear light gloves, drop a couple chemical hand warmers into the mitts, and actually do things with your hands until you need to warm them up.

38188B9B-3D82-4905-B191-8AA44B92B22D.jpeg

6FE84D9B-66D0-48C6-88B3-5CA4404CF675.jpeg

If you watch "The Last Alaskans" series you'll see several of the people wearing bunny boots. I've tried them on in a local army and navy store and they were frightfully heavy. Having said that, everything in that category of boot seems heavy including modern boots such as Baffins.

edited to say: I forgot to say that weight may be irrelevant depending on the level of activity.  Not sure I'd want to hike 8 miles in them in -10F but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Edited by wiiawiwb

9 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

........I forgot to say that weight may be irrelevant depending on the level of activity.  Not sure I'd want to hike 8 miles in them in -10F but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

-10F doesn’t even worry bunny boots. I can sit inactive in -10F with them on all day and night and never get cold feet. VB boots stands for vapor barrier. You’re feet will likely get wet from sweat, and you’ll still remain warm.

In the pic, notice the tab in back by the heel? That’s where both the Army XX skis and snowshoes secure. Soldiers march all over in them. 

On the outer side near the ankle, you see that valve? It is to be opened during parachuting to equalize pressure while descending from high atmospheres. 

They’re pretty heavy, but they’re the best Arctic military boot ever built. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 5 months later...
Guest sasquatchstudies

I’ve never personally gone in much for camo. I always thought it was more of a fashion and branding scheme than something that would make much of a difference in the woods. I do wear subdued colors when in the woods. 

This is my typical woods outfit (minus the shovel and feed sack over my shoulder) 

D910EC32-B733-49C7-86EA-99DD41541486.jpeg

You could have rode with Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders! Love it!

I just put a Montana dent crown on my cowboy hat! I was sick of the snow piling up on my gamblers crown and leaking down my neck.

Guest sasquatchstudies

I love a Montana peak. Thanks for the compliment. Teddy Roosevelt is a hero of mine and also has that cool Sasquatch story he related in the book “The Wilderness Hunter”.

My general outfit consists of a broad brimmed hat (I’m wanting to get a Pith helmet at some point).

Lightweight linen long sleeved shirt in summer and a wool/flannel over shirt in fall/winter. (Going to hopefully add a natural linen sack coat in the future) 

Duck trousers or Jean

Tall boots or my LL Bean Anniversary Edition Boots

My Inpiration :

AFFD8E72-A634-4E77-B488-88D2BF20E521.jpeg

78E24886-3A86-4EF5-BCA8-21426F8025AE.jpeg

A59717AD-EE5B-4196-B813-D7B1D9FF4EEB.jpeg

E40D53A5-E103-4C67-8E50-3FF8D15A4A6F.jpeg

This is me with my Old school Cowboy garb on.

I built a saloon in my hay loft too.

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

9 hours ago, sasquatchstudies said:

AFFD8E72-A634-4E77-B488-88D2BF20E521.jpeg

Those are a few of my heroes; Lt. Allen, Sgt, Robertson, and Private Fickett. 

They were real men even when nude.

Edited by Huntster

17 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Those are a few of my heroes; Lt. Allen, Sgt, Robertson, and Private Fickett. 

They were real men even when nude.

Do you like gladiator movies?

Shirley you jest.

Do we refer to you as the Bunster when you wear bunny boots?

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

22 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yup. And I used to read Conan novels when young, too.

Crom and Mitra! Killing is thirsty work.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:52 AM, sasquatchstudies said:

I’ve never personally gone in much for camo. I always thought it was more of a fashion and branding scheme than something that would make much of a difference in the woods. I do wear subdued colors when in the woods. 

This is my typical woods outfit (minus the shovel and feed sack over my shoulder) 

D910EC32-B733-49C7-86EA-99DD41541486.jpeg

Depending on the time of day and light conditions I might think I was seeing things (or a ghost from another time) if I saw you off from a distance.

Cool!

• Thanks 1