Camo - who uses it and which pattern?

wiiawiwb

Hunter orange in Michigan is only worn during Gun season or when one is small gaming. Also it is worn during bird season as well but I am not sure about duck season. This is why I love bow season since you do not have to wear hunters orange and it is when I always wear scent free clothing. I am always on a constant wind check and will place several stands  in different areas just for wind. I am not to fond of gun season and neither am I fond of baiting with CWD going around in our state of Michigan. So I am glad that in this next year that baiting will be stopped through out our state which means less hunters out in the woods during bow season.  I will scent my self with earth and try to blend in with the natural surroundings . If I am not in a tree I will sit in a natural hide on the ground along game trails if possible. If not in my ground blind and blend that with the surroundings. I have probitly scared a few hikers coming out of the woods just by the way I look until I say some thing to them.The small game hunters make me nervous during bow season though since they are usually shooting .22 cal and all I have is a bow.  so some times I will whistle as I walk back to my truck to let the know where I am at.  A .22cal can really ruin ones day and I sure do not want it to be mine .  The thing about when I walk back to my truck is I like to stalk deer on the way back. There has been times when I have just walked right up on a deer walking back.

So yes I can see how easy to walk up on a SaS if it cannot smell you or see you when you look just like the forest. I just have not been wearing my gopro at those times and wish I had. To walk up on animals and them not knowing is the coolest thing in the world and to be face to face with them is great and inspirational. You just want to do it over and over again and it is like a rush or a high.

Norseman: You get well and work out so that you do not miss out what the wilderness has to offer. If you cannot get back on a horse then do not let that kick your A**. Do what ever it takes to keep your self out in the wild, we are given a chance in life to live and to enjoy life. Get well and get your a** back into those woods and enjoy what our creator has gave us to enjoy..

Not required in BC, Canada. I have a reversible vest that's camo on one side and blaze orange on the other, that I will often wear orange side out while moving in a hunting area, then reverse while I'm on a stand or blind.

• Upvote 1

I like woodland camo patterns. I wear US Army BDUs in the field, and mix those up with Cabelas ligh5 fleece in woodland camo. My chest waders have a duck hunting pattern.......don’t know how else to describe it. 

Seems  s like when one gets done with acquiring clothing, daypacks, gear in cases and stuff bags, tents, etc, you’ll end up with numerous patterns. In all honesty, I think the pattern isn’t as important as the color matching the surrounding colors as best as possible, and movement (or the lack thereof) is many times more important than color or camo.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Huntster said:

........movement (or the lack thereof) is many times more important than color or camo.

I got to thinking about this after typing it out. With bears, it has been scent and noise that has busted me the most. I have zero experience with scent blocking gimmicks, and Alaskan guides don’t seem to bother with it. I will admit, though, that I’m curious.......

1 minute ago, NatFoot said:

Well, yep. Every state I have hunted in required it. 

I thought the guys wearing the "cool clothes" to go hunting were either myth or for waterfowl only.

If you wear hunter orange in Idaho they call you “mushroom pickers”. Alot of guys wear traditional red plaid wool mackinaws....like me. Some wear modern camo and modern materials like a sheep hunter.

44 minutes ago, norseman said:

If you wear hunter orange in Idaho they call you “mushroom pickers”. Alot of guys wear traditional red plaid wool mackinaws....like me. Some wear modern camo and modern materials like a sheep hunter.

Oh, I don't like the look of the blaze orange, but I've always hunted legally when I'm out there.

The red plaid looks great.

31 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Oh, I don't like the look of the blaze orange, but I've always hunted legally when I'm out there.

The red plaid looks great.

So have I.

Im just sharing with you what they do in states that do not require hunter orange. Its kinda scowled upon. Except for kids..... 

Its kinda like making kids wear life vests too.

2 hours ago, norseman said:

.........Alot of guys wear traditional red plaid wool mackinaws....like me........

My all time favorite outdoor wear was Korean War era Army wool pants and shirts. They were still issuing that stuff to Alaskan troops in the 1970’s. I gobbled up a bunch of it. I wish I could still fit in it........

^^^Hunster, did you get the 'white bunny boots'?

At times I carry a blaze orange vest during non-hunting seasons. I put it on to 'wear hummingbirds'.  They will hover around me.

Yeah, bunny boots were and still are issued to Alaskan troops. Also, they are widely available for sale to the public. I still wear them in the winter. Most folks wear them in winter when recreating outdoors.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, norseman said:

Yeah, not sure the rules now but we orange was never required here in Texas. I was never a big believer in wearing camo. Usually just found something OD green and wore it and blue jeans. I was heading back to my truck from my stand one morning and had on a pair of brown insulated cover-alls. I was walking through brush and weeds about head high and the thought hit me, "You look like a deer you idiot" and I shucked out of them, lol. I did have on a t-shirt and jeans under them.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:57 PM, Huntster said:

My all time favorite outdoor wear was Korean War era Army wool pants and shirts. They were still issuing that stuff to Alaskan troops in the 1970’s. I gobbled up a bunch of it. I wish I could still fit in it........

Had a friends who's brother served in the Army in Alaska (it was in the '70's though) and he had some cold weather gear. He gave me a wool shirt, some gloves and a wool scarf. I used the shirt when it was really cold but had to wear a t-shirt under it because it itched so bad. My favorite was the scarf, it was long enough to wrap around my neck and cover my face too. Made good camo, I thought. I had that thing for years and don't remember what ever happened to it. It was good even when I wasn't hunting.

Edited by Rockape

2 hours ago, Rockape said:

........Had a friends who's brother served in the Army in Alaska (it was in the '70's though) and he had some cold weather gear. He gave me a wool shirt, some gloves and a wool scarf. I used the shirt when it was really cold but had to wear a t-shirt under it because it itched so bad........

Yeah, you had to wear an undershirt, but the pants didn’t itch. They were some sort of wool blend. Light, too, but very warm. A lot lighter than the Filson brand wool clothing, and at surplus prices, exponentially cheaper.

Other great arctic clothing issue were the VB (bunny) boots and the arctic mittens. I still use both. The mittens allow the user to wear light gloves, drop a couple chemical hand warmers into the mitts, and actually do things with your hands until you need to warm them up.

38188B9B-3D82-4905-B191-8AA44B92B22D.jpeg

6FE84D9B-66D0-48C6-88B3-5CA4404CF675.jpeg

I always liked the wool shirt because it was light and allowed movement, not bulky like most jackets but still kept me plenty warm. Problem was, it was usually too warm for a Texas winter. I always liked the gloves for the same reason, I could load, **** and fire without fumbling or having to take them off. They were long too, came up well past my wrist.

My dad had some mittens like that he used to ride his MC in the winter. He was career Army but I don't think he was ever stationed in a cold climate. Probably got them surplus or swapped a buddy for them. I remember putting them on when I was a little kid, pretty much covered my whole arm.

LOL, looks like the four letter word for pulling a firing mechanism back was starred out.

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

......LOL, looks like the four letter word for pulling a firing mechanism back was starred out.

LOL.......you roostered your firearm?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic