Missing persons in British Columbia

SWWASAS

BFF Patron

A hiking boot stuck in a logjam on the shores of British Columbia's Gabriola Island yielded a grim find—yet another severed foot. This is at least the 14th time since 2007 that a foot has washed up on the coastline of the Canadian province, the Guardian reports.

There were only two pairs among the found feet, meaning they came from a dozen individuals. 

The Mounties say the latest find was made by a man walking his dog along a beach on Sunday, the Provincereports.

No other human remains were found in the area. Authorities have identified six of the people the feet came from and foul play is not suspected in any of the deaths: they died either in accidents or by suicide and the feet apparently separated from the bodies after a long period in the water.

(A foot found in December still had part of a leg attached.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Hiking Boot Stuck in Logjam Still Had Foot Inside

What is going on in BC?    Dozens of feet discovered in a fairly small area?   Do that many people go missing up there since 2007?  

Edited by SWWASAS

Lots of reasons.

Some of the feet have been identified as coming from people that were involved in float plane crashes.

Some were from people that were suicidal and may have jumped off of one of our many bridges. 

I personally know a guy that was fishing by the Portmann bridge when he saw a jumper hit the water. He called 911 right away but the body was never found

Unfortunately when a body enters the water, it still decomposes an sneakers float quite well. I find them all the time down at the beach, an no...I haven't found a occupied sneaker. 

180514134636-british-columbia-14-feet-po

Edited by PBeaton

BFF Patron

Well we should to also give some thought to the remote possibility that there might be some hiker munching BF that throws his leftover parts into the water or some drainage.      Shoe laces may be totally puzzling to BF.     Given the number of missing in my local area,   that dozen sure sounds like a lot of missing people.  

I don't recall numbers, bur have heard of people disappearing in the vicinity of the Canyon Creek Campground located about 10 miles ENE of Yacolt, WA, as the crow flies. One was the young lady who evidently walked off in the "altogether" in about 2014 if memory serves. Does anyone know if there was ever a resolution in that case?

BFF Patron

Never found a trace of her.    Her family looked for months after the official search ended.  Of course when you are not wearing clothes that does not leave much to find after critters scavenge.   I spent some time up there looking on the ground as well as from the air.   There is not much there in the way of trails and the forest road in there in the area she disappeared sits on a bluff with a near vertical drop down to the river below.       If I had to guess,  I think she likely blundered off the edge of the road,  maybe to avoid being seen by a passing car, and fell to her death.    Because of the steep bank it likely was only superficially searched because of the difficulty.        I only know of two others in Skamania county that have never been found what went missing in the last 5 years.       One was a Native American berry picker in the Indian Heaven area and another woman went missing on a trail in the Columbia Gorge.   All were women.    Washington seems to be fertile ground for serial killers that prey on woman.   .  Several notorious ones have operated in the state and dozens of women are missing due to them.    Not sure these three can be pinned to that but you never know.    The woods are a good place to stash a body in a shallow grave where it is unlikely to be found.