Fatal cougar attack in Washington State

SWWASAS

14 hours ago, gigantor said:

What do you guys think of a Glock 10mm?

Have you shot a Glock much?   Some people really like them but they don't fit my hands.   The grip frame is too square and I need something more rounded.    A 1911 with thick scales works.   My current 10mm is a Ruger single action revolver.   I like it .. but I don't carry it without something bigger to protect it.    10mm, though the largest semi auto cartridge packaged in a portable handgun (I don't count the LAR Grizzly, Automag, or Desert Eagle as portable even though they do offer a lot more punch), is simply not adequate "out there."   IMHO.  

It's a thin line between adequate and unmanageable.   For many people, there's no overlap .. nothing available they can handle well which is sufficient.   People start picking something smaller and making excuses.  Excuses aren't going to help if you actually have a problem.   For those people, a short barreled lever action is a better choice ... Marlin Guide Guns were developed for a reason.   Their new (announced but not available) .45-70 Trapper might be even better.  

MIB

Admin
8 hours ago, MIB said:

Have you shot a Glock much?

Not a lot. WVFooter has one he carries when we go squatching...

The new Glocks have a "Slim Frame" model.  Glock 29SF . They're so cheap, I'm thinking of getting one.

On 6/5/2018 at 0:15 PM, Airdale said:

the 125 gr. JHP I used in the example above (and is not anything I'd carry for other than the commonly encountered variety of two legged predators) is a far cry from the 160 gr. hard cast electro-plated SWC handload that punched six inches into the end grain fir of a pin table from my four inch Security Six before angling up to send a bowling pin end over end.

The quote is from my post on page 4 of this thread, but in light of the continuing discussion of ballistics and the capability (or lack thereof) of various rounds, I did some digging through my records and need to correct some items. The load I used is significantly heavier than the maximum load in Speer's Reloading Manual for the .357 Magnum, but I worked up to it carefully, 0.5 grains of H110 at a time, without observing any signs of over-pressure (primer flowing, etc.). I loaded 150 rounds back in about '84 and have 36 left; I only fired them in my 4" Ruger Security-Six and they are a handful.

I didn't photograph the results of the incident mentioned with the bowling pin, but I had notes and kept the bullet recovered from the top of the pin. The pin was not 6" from the front of the table, but the regulation 12" for .357 Magnum and above. The table was built of 2x4 fir secured with 3/8" threaded shaft running the width of the table and was, again, regulation 48" deep. This was my second shot of the string, the first cleared the right hand pin but I over compensated and dropped the muzzle a bit low on the second shot with the result indicated. The diagram below (not to scale) shows a front view of a portion of the table showing my bullet's point of impact, as well as a side view of its estimated path. The photo in the upper left is of the bullet recovered from the top of the pin, after it traversed 12" of fir as well as in and out of the base of the pin, along with one of my remaining loaded rounds. It had sufficient remaining energy to send the pin end over end to land about 5' behind the table. These are not jacketed bullets but hard cast, copper electro-plated.

Bullet Track Diagram.jpg

I haven't been to the range yet this spring as the adjacent river was flooded and prevented access. I'm anxious to chronograph this load through the 12" barrel of my Ranchhand, as well as a shot or two from the Security-Six hopefully fired by my shooting buddy (I well remember how it kicks in that revolver and live with enough pain, thank you very much!). He just picked up a S&W M&P AR-15 and is anxious to try it out, so shouldn't have to twist his arm to do a range trip. We'll see how it pans out.

BFF Patron

Seems like the Glock 29SF with 10MM is a lot of bullet for a light framed gun.    Anyone shot one?  

On 6/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, gigantor said:

The new Glocks have a "Slim Frame" model.  Glock 29SF . They're so cheap, I'm thinking of getting one.

It's not the thick vs thin that causes me problems, nor the slide, it's how square the corners of the grip frame are.   It's like holding a 1x1 square board vs holding a 1" diameter dowel.   I guess there is one other issue ... the flat top.   I instinctively use the rounded top of the gun for coarse aiming.   I'm pretty proficient with .. well, it's more than point shooting but not truly aimed fire.   I simply can't do that with the flat, wide top of a glock.   Any revolver, most semi-autos .. great.  Glock .. no.   It's not a deal breaker necessarily, just a thing (at least for me) to be aware of.

Of the Glocks I think that would be my choice.   It's not perfect for me but it's the least imperfect.   There really isn't anything out there that competes with it head to head.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:41 AM, SWWASAS said:

Seems like the Glock 29SF with 10MM is a lot of bullet for a light framed gun.    Anyone shot one?  

I don't think it's bad but it depends on what you're used to I guess.    I took the day off and went to the range with my 3 .44 magnums.   One weighs 26.7 ounces empty, another 34.4, and the 3rd weighs 45 ounces.   Guess which is nicest to carry?  Guess which is nicest to shoot?  (It's not the same answer.  :) )   With the two lighter guns, I shoot a couple shots to make sure they function, make sure the sights align properly, and then I put them away .. pronto.   They **hurt** to shoot.   With the heaviest gun, I shoot 'cause it's fun.  

MIB

7 minutes ago, MIB said:

It's not the thick vs thin that causes me problems, nor the slide, it's how square the corners of the grip frame are.   It's like holding a 1x1 square board vs holding a 1" diameter dowel.   I guess there is one other issue ... the flat top.   I instinctively use the rounded top of the gun for coarse aiming.   I'm pretty proficient with .. well, it's more than point shooting but not truly aimed fire.   I simply can't do that with the flat, wide top of a glock.   Any revolver, most semi-autos .. great.  Glock .. no.   It's not a deal breaker necessarily, just a thing (at least for me) to be aware of.

Of the Glocks I think that would be my choice.   It's not perfect for me but it's the least imperfect.   There really isn't anything out there that competes with it head to head.

I don't think it's bad but it depends on what you're used to I guess.    I took the day off and went to the range with my 3 .44 magnums.   One weighs 26.7 ounces empty, another 34.4, and the 3rd weighs 45 ounces.   Guess which is nicest to carry?  Guess which is nicest to shoot?  (It's not the same answer.  :) )   With the two lighter guns, I shoot a couple shots to make sure they function, make sure the sights align properly, and then I put them away .. pronto.   They **hurt** to shoot.   With the heaviest gun, I shoot 'cause it's fun.  

MIB

Same concept with a trail axe. The fiskar fiberglass axe is great to carry and horrible to chop with. Or replace the handle......

A council velvicut is heavy but chops like a demon. And easy to mantain.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:15 PM, gigantor said:

What do you guys think of a Glock 10mm?

It is a fantastic woods gun. I have a Glock 40 MOS which is a long-slide 10mm. I put a Burris Fast Finder III on it and shoot more accurately than any other firearm I own. 

There is almost no recoil because it is absorbed by the long slide (6" barrel). My Dan Wesson ECO 9mm jumps around in my hand while the 10mm stays put. 

I also put a green laser on it.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:43 PM, BigTreeWalker said:

Been eyeing those 5 shot 454`s for a while. You can use heavy 45 colt in them as well for a little less recoil. Nice guns. 

My favorite firearm to shoot is my Ruger Toklat (named after the river in Alaska). No close seconds. It is a Super Redhawk, 6-cylinder 454 Casull with a 5" barrel.  The Alaskan in 454 Casull is backstrap heavy (handle) and the 7" barrel is nose heavy. The 5" Toklat has a very nice balance between the two.

As you mentioned it also shoots 45 Colt. It is just plain fun to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA

P1020714.JPG

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
BFF Patron

Got another missing person in Washington.   Guy from Ohio borrowed a friends car, parked at the Blue Lake trailhead, and disappeared near Mt St Helens a couple of days ago.   .     That area is a BF hotspot.   Someone posted a sighting report near there not long ago.    The guy was wearing shorts, flip flops, and not equipped to spend a night out.   It is not known if he even had water with him.     He is over 6 feet so not likely a cougar victim.    However if he encountered one and ran he might have been attacked.   The searchers say there is no cell phone coverage and that he likely did not know that.   Heavily forested so air search is probably worthless. 

I have a couple friends that were going to Sheep Canyon up that same trail a couple years ago. They didn't have a map and were unfamiliar with the trails in the area. Long story short, they ended up wondering up into Weyerhaeuser land to the west and spent all day trying to find their way back. They finally came out near the Kalama horse camp and called someone to give them a ride back up to their car. So it must be easy to get lost up in there. They were prepared for only a short day hike too. 

BFF Patron

They think someone sighted him day before yesterday.     Some hikers did not know someone was missing until they got home and saw the news and his description.   He was off trail off in the distance,  and apparently did not see them.    Not sure how much water is in the area this time of year.    He might be out of his head because of lack of water.     

I was in my research area and a guy on a mountain bike came off the mountain.  He had no idea where he was.   He had arranged to meet some guys to ride the trails and they did not show up.    So he set out on his own.   No map,  not even sure he had water,  not familiar with the area.    He came out 7,3 miles from where he parked his car.   Asked me directions to get back there I told him that the most direct way was back up the mountain the way he came.    He did not want to make the climb again.     I told him how to get there on roads but nothing is marked so I figured he would get lost trying to get back to his car.    I was headed out so asked him if he wanted a ride back to his parked car.     He was starving so I gave him a power bar.  I have no idea what would have happened to the guy if I had not come along.      

• Upvote 1

I guess the Skamania County search team found him on the flanks of the mountain but until tomorrow there doesn't seem to be any more information other than he survived. 

Did he not survive on honey or bees ? At least the guy is safe and this can happen to any of us if we are not prepared and even if we are prepared for the worse murphy can play his card on us. Fear seems to be a good friend at times when you are dealing with the wilderness and we should respect the wilderness.

Sounded like he ate berries. Lots of blue huckleberries in the area. But yes fear may have been an issue. The details of his survival are still sketchy. With a little more preparation on his part he should have known on the south side of Mt St Helens all he had to do was head in a generally southerly direction and he would have hit the main road through the area in only a few miles. Where he was the terrain is passable from the mountain to the road without much difficulty. But if a person can't determine how to walk in one direction, that's where the problems arise.