45 acp vs 10mm

norseman

LOL........I lost Baby several times, and found or recovered her every time except this last time. Once I ran back several miles down a beach against a rapidly rising tide to recover her in a tide pool where I had rinsed off razor clams, suspecting she fell out of my pocket there. I had just recovered her from 44 feet of water in the cab of my truck at the bottom of Big Lake just two months before losing her again during a bear hunt.

I set her on the hood of my truck to drop my chest waders to take a leak. Then after pulling my waders up, I did my walk-around to check the boat and trailer, climbed into the cab, and took off. Odds are she fell off almost immediately and bounced over a short, steep, brushy bluff into leaf litter. I never climbed down to kick around.

It has been 5 years, and if I can borrow a metal detector, I bet I can go back and find her down that little bluff.

BFF Patron

After I wiped the dust off the gun,    I wondered if I should have bagged it instead, taken it home, and dusted it for prints.  I just cannot imagine how it ended up where it did.   

I am part of the 5% group who chooses not have a live round in the chamber whether it is a 1911, Glock, or revolver. I can understand the immediacy of things in the city. I carry my firearms in the country and will never understand what could befall me in the woods where the time it takes to rack the slide could mean the difference between life or death. In the city, yes, but thankfully I choose live apart from them. 

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I am part of the 5% group who chooses not have a live round in the chamber whether it is a 1911, Glock, or revolver. I can understand the immediacy of things in the city. I carry my firearms in the country and will never understand what could befall me in the woods where the time it takes to rack the slide could mean the difference between life or death. In the city, yes, but thankfully I choose live apart from them. 

Forest Ninjas!!!

• Haha 1

BFF Patron

This discussion has made me think I need a new gun.   

To each their own but a 10mm is the minimum I would ever consider as a woods gun.  If things hit the proverbial fan, I want to dispatch something quickly and with overwhelming force.  That's why my Ruger Toklat is my woods gun of choice.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:14 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Its not about the time to rack it...anytime you work the action of a weapon you have a chance of malfunction. Maybe when you rack the slide the round does not fully chamber due to debris, glove gets stuck, hand slips...whatever...now you are racking the slide, correcting a malfunction, etc.  If something needs shooting, it needs shooting NOW!  Lol

I’d rather have the first round at least fire and a malfunction on the second round.

You know, Murphy and all...

Edited by Caenus
  • Upvote 1

On 11/15/2018 at 1:55 AM, norseman said:

I went with the .460 Rowland conversion. Not a fan of Glock ergonomics or plastic frame. 

So I just converted my 1911 over.  Ive test fired it, but with vertigo have not got to really put its through its paces.

Shoots both .45 acp and .460 Rowland.

Being a drop in kit, I imagine reliability will vary based on what it's installed in. Springfield's being on the supported list for Clark's kit, You'll probably have no problems. I put one in my Sig which is Cerakote covered stainless and used the 24lb spring, I've not had a FTF issue in over 200 rounds. That's not much due to the cost of Buffalo Bore ammo but I'm thoroughly satisfied. I had not seen the Recover rail, that's a great option for older or railless models. Compared to +P 44 mag Buffalo Bore at 1600 or so ft/lbs, the 957 ft/lbs of the 255 gr hard cast .460 seems like the "energy of 44 mag" claim pales but it is squarely within standard 44 mag ballistics. 8-10 rounds of that kind of power in a single action auto with a light is a good way to go IMO. Good luck with it.

_27P6639 copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I lived in Alaska my choice would be my Smith 629 (heavy as all get up). I live in Ga though and black bears are what we deal with here. A game warden told me our bears have so much to eat here that they're not as dangerous as some places in the US! Folks are all over the AT and bears can be like ghosts there... My woods carry now is my Sig P226 Tacops in 40sw. I'm using the Double Tap 200gr FMJ FP loads, they make that  Sig rock...

On 11/14/2018 at 5:35 PM, SWWASAS said:

Just looking at a .45 ACP on line and noticed the same weapon was offered in a DAO or Striker fire version.     Pardon my ignorance but I have no idea what striker fire is.   

Take the Glock. When cocked, the striker protrudes from the rear of the  slide, visually and tacitly (wrong word. Whatever means one can feel it with their fingers) confirming cocked, ready to fire.

When trigger pulled and round fails to fire, one has to eject the round which resets (cocks) the striker.

With a double-action, one can pull the trigger to try to fire the round again. There's a true hammer involved,  same as with single-action.

A teacher friend of Mrs. Huntsters, whose husband committed suicide some years ago, is selling out up here. She has a home in Florida, too, and can no longer keep both places up. So rather than deal with bringing his guns down on the airplane with her, she gave them to me. One is a S&W 686 (stainless 357mag 4” medium frame), and the other is a Taurus lightweight 38 special. I just gave the 38 to my brother-in-law, But will keep the 357. It’s almost a clone of my 44mag, but much lighter. I love it! I was planning on going to the range Friday to check its zero, but the earthquake changed that.........

With those 180 grain hard cast Underwood loads moving at 1400 fps, I wouldn’t feel underpowered at all. I’ll keep it as a loaner for my brother and friends when they visit. 

wm_3757750.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 5:35 PM, SWWASAS said:

Just looking at a .45 ACP on line and noticed the same weapon was offered in a DAO or Striker fire version.     Pardon my ignorance but I have no idea what striker fire is.   

What are you looking at?

I'm saving up for a 45 right now.  Going to order a Beretta full-size PX4 Storm.  Dealer here priced me $550 for one brand new.  I will likely order it right after Christmas, ;) give myself a gift. LOL  

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Old Time Lifter

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 5:56 PM, Old Time Lifter said:

wm_3757750.jpg

What are you looking at?

I'm saving up for a 45 right now.  Going to order a Beretta full-size PX4 Storm.  Dealer here priced me $550 for one brand new.  I will likely order it right after Christmas, ;) give myself a gift. LOL  

hqdefault.jpg

I actually purchased a used one off of Gunbroker... can't wait for it to get here.  :D:D:D

Edited by Old Time Lifter

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic