45 acp vs 10mm

norseman

I mainly open carry a Glock 20 10mm Auto when I am in the woods.  I also have become pretty proficient at shooting a Super RedHawk .454 Casull while using the trigger in double action. 

I'm steering more towards just having a 12 gauge though with rifled slugs and no handgun though.

Admin
2 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

I mainly open carry a Glock 20 10mm Auto when I am in the woods.  I also have become pretty proficient at shooting a Super RedHawk .454 Casull

So which one do you like better?  I need to make a choice between the two...

4 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

........I'm steering more towards just having a 12 gauge though with rifled slugs and no handgun though.

Bring them both!

17 hours ago, gigantor said:

So which one do you like better?  I need to make a choice between the two...

I'm pretty accurate shooting some hot .454 loads.  I prefer Hard Cast Wide Flat nose bullets or bonded HP's.  With that said, I am only shooting at stationary targets.  It would be difficult to acquire a target and be accurate with the long trigger pull on a double action revolver on top of shooting a .454 Casull.  Its much easier to acquire a target with a semi auto pistol and with the G20 I get 15+1 rounds of 10mm Auto

The G20 is a better all around option for being in the woods imo

BFF Patron

Reading through this thread it reads like a column out of Guns and Ammo.     I just wondered how many people combine BF field work with shooting.     If you do, have you ever had BF contact, after you have shot for a while?      In my experience if anyone is close enough that I can hear shooting,  I have not experienced anything to indicate BF is active in the area, even though the area may ordinarily be active.   I drive to another area of go home if shooting is going on.   Especially if the shooting is in the prohibited area.       My research area had a bunch of restrictions on shooting.   It was prohibited because of some common trails running through it.   Because of that the resident BF never saw me discharge a weapon.  When I would look around places like gravel pits etc,  where people would commonly shoot,  I never found so much as a footprint in those areas.    I wonder if that is a factor at all in BF encounters just as deer are hard to find during hunting season?     .  

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Reading through this thread it reads like a column out of Guns and Ammo.     I just wondered how many people combine BF field work with shooting.     If you do, have you ever had BF contact, after you have shot for a while?      In my experience if anyone is close enough that I can hear shooting,  I have not experienced anything to indicate BF is active in the area, even though the area may ordinarily be active.   I drive to another area of go home if shooting is going on.   Especially if the shooting is in the prohibited area.       My research area had a bunch of restrictions on shooting.   It was prohibited because of some common trails running through it.   Because of that the resident BF never saw me discharge a weapon.  When I would look around places like gravel pits etc,  where people would commonly shoot,  I never found so much as a footprint in those areas.    I wonder if that is a factor at all in BF encounters just as deer are hard to find during hunting season?     .  

I currently live in a mountain HOA community where each property has 9-28 acres.  Theres no target shooting allowed unless its sub sonic ammo.  Because that restriction is in place, (although its not always obeyed :biggrin:) the deer pretty much have no fear of humans.  I can walk up to them sometimes.  

Sasquatch, like most animals, seems to avoid humans under most circumstances so anything they perceive to unnatural or out of place to them, they likely avoid.  Unless they're hungry and become bold.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:48 AM, SWWASAS said:

........I just wondered how many people combine BF field work with shooting.     If you do, have you ever had BF contact, after you have shot for a while?.......

I don’t conduct BF field work, and I don’t go into wilderness areas to shoot recreationally or testing loads. I shoot at a range. When hunting, I only shoot at animals. I have never had contact with sasquatches that I know of. I found footprints once, and we did have a nighttime visitor to our camp that night, but it could have been anything. I also heard a very strange knocking sound on a moose hunt that I thought was a moose rapping his antlers on a tree instead of scraping, although I’d never heard such a thing before. Iypt occurred before all the shooting started when a huge 67” moose was killed. That area is a particularly wild area, some 750 miles by riverboat from the continents road system. Wolves can be heard howling daily there, and they were howling before and after all the shooting that day and the next. Turns out that later reading of an anthropology book reveals that the very location that took place is a location noted by the Koyukon natives of being the haunts of sasquatches.

BFF Patron

I asked the question because I don't combine field work and shooting.   I carry but it is not as obvious as if I had a long gun.      Similarly as skittish as they are around cameras,  I no longer carry a camera that is visible or obvious it is a camera.   If certain things bother them,  reduction or elimination of those things seem likely to increase changes of BF contact.   The people who have been looking for BF far longer or are life long hunters but not looking  should logically have had BF contact at some point.   Could it be that since they have not,   are they are doing something that prevents that from happening?     We have people who have been doing BF field work for decades and never had an encounter.   I wonder why.   

I have had close personal contact with both wolves and bears, sometimes with firearms in my hands. Yes, I don’t “pack” cameras like I do weapons, but I’m okay with that. 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, SWWASAS said:

We have people who have been doing BF field work for decades and never had an encounter.   I wonder why.   

Personality.  A negative personality yields zero contact. I can not post here about the Psi factor.

Know any mail carriers?  Domestic pets like cats, dogs and maybe parrotts,  hate strangers for no apparent reason. Also, they buddy up to strangers too. They sense personalities ( and earthquakes ).

On 12/22/2018 at 1:48 PM, SWWASAS said:

I have to agree.  A lot of the weapon related threads read like G&A.  I've never combined field work with shooting.  If I'm understanding correctly, there are people that search for BF AND target shoot in the same area?  If that's the case, it seems...counter productive.  I do weapons training and search for BF, but not at the same time and never do one within 20 miles of the other.  However, I can see how some might think that gunfire might provoke a response from BF; either due to creature's curiosity, territoriality or because it might associate gunfire with an easy meal it can steal.  I don't personally believe that, but I won't give anyone grief for wanting to see what happens (so long as it isn't in my search area at the time! LOL).

Something else I've also noticed on the weapons threads (at all the BF forums on the web) is that there is a troubling lack of talk about training with the weapon of their affection.  I don't think I've found a single thread discussing where to get proper defensive and offensive training for the weapons they intend to carry out in the field.  I mean, come on!  A basic hunter's safety course is pretty poor training when an angry grizzly sow with cubs comes charging at you or a bull moose blasts out of the underbrush 20 feet behind you, not to mention other humans that might be doing things they don't want others to see.  Granted, I drank the cool-aid on defensive firearms training decades ago due to my job, but I would have thought I would have encountered much more discussion on the subject.  That's my rant on that subject.  Just felt it needed saying.  

As to the actual topic of this thread, I prefer the 10mm over the .45.  More specifically, I carry the Sig P220 Emperor Scorpion in 10mm.  I generally stick with 200 grain bullets, both FMJ and HP, loaded to full power specs.  Recoil is manageable in the Sig given its weight.  It does what I need it to do if I do my part.  Of course, a long sharp stick can do the job too if used correctly, or so I've been let to believe by the anthropologists. LOL        

Edited by Belpherion

I have to contradict the community belief system.   Rather than relying only on personal experience, I'm doing this from the perspective of a report investigator who looks into many other peoples' experiences .. a much larger body of data.   There are quite a few reports of target shooters and plinkers, especially those shooting around old rock quarries, who have "activity", sometimes reportedly hostile, sometimes reportedly just observant. 

My personal experience ... I've been approached at least twice when I was hunting with a shiny stainless steel rifle in hand and a third time when I was actively shooting.  

So I think people are trying too hard, looking for something deterministic that is just not there to find, and creating dogma around a falsehood.    It is not that this does not happen, it is just that you have not been in the right place at the right time.   What you're doing is fundamentally no different than the people who say bigfoot doesn't exist because they haven't seen one themselves are doing.    Can you not see this?

MIB

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I certainly am not implying that simply carrying a weapon repels BF because all of my experience has been when I was carrying.    I have never carried a long gun doing BF field work nor do I hunt.    So I have zero experience with that aspect of interaction with BF.  That is why I put the question out.   Certainly a long gun is more visible and from my human experience, I know it is more dangerous to me sharing the field with someone armed that way.   Does BF have any idea about that?   Certainly they have likely seen hunters down deer and elk with long guns.   If smart enough they could also deduce that long guns are more likely to kill because they have seen it.    No one blasts away at deer with a pistol.  .     I wonder based on what I observe in the field if hunters get bored,   are not seeing deer and just decide to shoot to make use of the day.    I probably would.    But my experience suggests that shooting likely alerts BF as to your location, and likely causes them to better avoid you.    I cannot believe that BF would approach an active shooter to get a better look. 

No matter what you carry,  if a BF has encountered you as an armed human,   if it is as smart as I think it is,   and you have not attempted to shoot it,   upon recognition,   it probably would assume you are not a threat with subsequent encounters too.  .     Deer do the same thing when I approach them.     They watch me,   probably initially seeing if I am covered with hair or clothing,  assess the treat,  and very often simply go back to eating.   Only moving away if I approach much further.    I have not tried it but I would expect them to bolt immediately if I were wearing a BF costume rather than clothing.   .  

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

el

Personality.  A negative personality yields zero contact. I can not post here about the Psi factor.

Know any mail carriers?  Domestic pets like cats, dogs and maybe parrotts,  hate strangers for no apparent reason. Also, they buddy up to strangers too. They sense personalities ( and earthquakes ).

The Elders of the Quinalt tribe claim that you only see BF if you are "worthy" of the experience.     While I would like to think I am in that select group, some that are,  I do not like as people.     Major personality clashes causing me to question the First Peoples assessment.    On the same topic, the Quinalt elder, when asked about how dangerous the BF are,   responded that they are not the dangerous ones in the woods,  the little people are.     He did not mean humans.    Mathew Johnsons trolls guarding the portal come to mind.    Matter of fact Mathew was at that conference where the elder spoke.   I wonder if that was the inspiration for his portal story. 

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic