45 acp vs 10mm

norseman

6 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

The Elders of the Quinalt tribe claim that you only see BF if you are "worthy" of the experience.     While I would like to think I am in that select group, some that are,  I do not like as people.     Major personality clashes causing me to question the First Peoples assessment.    On the same topic, the Quinalt elder, when asked about how dangerous the BF are,   responded that they are not the dangerous ones in the woods,  the little people are.     He did not mean humans.    Mathew Johnsons trolls guarding the portal come to mind.    Matter of fact Mathew was at that conference where the elder spoke.   I wonder if that was the inspiration for his portal story. 

I think it's much more about being in the right place at the right time and has zero to do with your worth or lack of worth.

26 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

........... I wonder based on what I observe in the field if hunters get bored,   are not seeing deer and just decide to shoot to make use of the day.    I probably would. .......

I can assure you that there are some who do that, and it is a clear sign of inexperience. It is not a good hunting practice to simply pop caps in one’s hunting area.

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

No one blasts away at deer with a pistol.

This is not correct.  (I take offense at the characterizations of "blasts away."   That shows bias and subject matter ignorance.)   I have killed 9 deer with handguns so far .. one shot each.   

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I just thought I'd add a photo of the .45 I bought and here it is in a holster my wife gave me for Christmas.  A nice pairing if I do say so myself.

:D

Happy New Year btw!

45 px4.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Time Lifter said:

I just thought I'd add a photo of the .45 I bought and here it is in a holster my wife gave me for Christmas.  A nice pairing if I do say so myself.

:D

Happy New Year btw!

45 px4.jpg

I love that paddle holster!

33 minutes ago, norseman said:

I love that paddle holster!

Prettiest holster I’ve ever seen. A thumb break strap would make it perfect.

I like the french cross leather work. 

I dont know if ive ever seen a paddle holster with a strap.

Admin

Ok, what's a paddle holster and what's the difference from a regular holster?

and why is that .45 look so short?  is it a 1911?

• gigantor featured this topic

Congratulations OTL. Awesome combination.

Gigantor - It's not a 1911 which has a clearly-defined, sweeping beavertail grip safety. Take a  look at this 1911 by Dan Wesson and notice the difference between it and the Beretta above.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7736/27733606664_9e871e78bb_b.jpg

A paddle holster is a concave holster,  typically made of leather, that the handgun slips into and is worn inside the waistband (IWB) versus outside the waistband (OWB).  The paddle's leather material is designed to grip to the inside of the pants so that when a handgun is withdrawn, the paddle doesn't move upward with the gun.

OTL's gun above is a striker-fired Beretta Storm Px4 with an ambidextrous safety (one on either side).

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

Gig -

I wouldn't call that a paddle holster.   From wiki: A paddle holster is a holster for a handgun whose method of securing the holster to the wearer utilizes a flat, concave shaped piece of plastic or stiffened leather designed to be worn against the body inside of the pants.   That has belt loops.  I don't see a paddle. 

Very nice work, though.

Not a 1911.  Looks to be a Beretta PX4 compact.  (This is a best guess, correct me if I'm wrong.)   Short is for concealment and portability, ease getting in and out of a vehicle,  etc.  

MIB

• Thanks 1

I said paddle. I meant to say pancake! Sorry!

A paddle holster doesnt go on a belt. It slides over the belt and pants.

A pancake holster is two pieces of leather stitched together to form a pouch for the gun to reside.

traditional holsters like a Mexican loop holster and later buscadero holsters used one piece of leather folded and stitched to make the pouch.

I have Al Stohlman's holster book which is a fun way to get started making leather holsters.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Holsters-Al-Stohlman/dp/1892214989/ref=asc_df_1892214989/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312543040920&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15712572883147748076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033625&hvtargid=pla-561490097465&psc=1

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, norseman said:

........I have Al Stohlman's holster book which is a fun way to get started making leather holsters..........

If there was ever a craft I should get into, that would be it. I’ve probably spent more on holsters and slings than I have on guns, and I remain unhappy with most of them. And none of them are as good looking as Old Time Lifters.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic