45 acp vs 10mm

norseman

Those holsters look great, Norse.

My main problem with holsters is where to wear it. In some cases a bandoleer holster is great, but in most cases I prefer an inside-the-waistband (IWB) carry. The problem with that situation is (1) I hate belts, so when drawing the weapon, the holster wants to come out, too, and (2) the weapon tends to push my underwear down, and my tucked shirt up and out. I found a snapping clip to replace the standard clip that is mounted on most cheap IWB holsters, but Problem #2 continues. I’ve come to the realization that IWB carry is a short term carry situation, and I just need to start wearing a belt (for all holsters) and modify my suspenders to mount on the belt instead of snapping onto my britches. My outdoors carry needs to be on a belt outside of my pants. 

7 hours ago, Huntster said:

^^^^. Very nice!

Thank you.  :D

6 hours ago, norseman said:

I love that paddle holster!

Not a paddle, but I see you corrected yourself.  ;)

6 hours ago, Huntster said:

Prettiest holster I’ve ever seen. A thumb break strap would make it perfect.

It holds the gun very snuggly at least for now... we'll see as the holster ages.  I could always have my wife add a strap as she works with leather making handbags.

5 hours ago, gigantor said:

Ok, what's a paddle holster and what's the difference from a regular holster?

and why is that .45 look so short?  is it a 1911?

It's actually not short at all...

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Congratulations OTL. Awesome combination.

Gigantor - It's not a 1911 which has a clearly-defined, sweeping beavertail grip safety. Take a  look at this 1911 by Dan Wesson and notice the difference between it and the Beretta above.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7736/27733606664_9e871e78bb_b.jpg

A paddle holster is a concave holster,  typically made of leather, that the handgun slips into and is worn inside the waistband (IWB) versus outside the waistband (OWB).  The paddle's leather material is designed to grip to the inside of the pants so that when a handgun is withdrawn, the paddle doesn't move upward with the gun.

OTL's gun above is a striker-fired Beretta Storm Px4 with an ambidextrous safety (one on either side).

px4 is actually a double/single action.  The external hammer gives it away.  ;)

4 hours ago, MIB said:

Gig -

I wouldn't call that a paddle holster.   From wiki: A paddle holster is a holster for a handgun whose method of securing the holster to the wearer utilizes a flat, concave shaped piece of plastic or stiffened leather designed to be worn against the body inside of the pants.   That has belt loops.  I don't see a paddle. 

Very nice work, though.

Not a 1911.  Looks to be a Beretta PX4 compact.  (This is a best guess, correct me if I'm wrong.)   Short is for concealment and portability, ease getting in and out of a vehicle,  etc.  

MIB

It's a full size px4, I'll post a photo of it beside my px4 compact in 40 s&w.  

37 minutes ago, norseman said:

Im no expert but I find it enjoyable and rewarding.

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

BFF Patron
On 12/31/2018 at 4:24 PM, MIB said:

This is not correct.  (I take offense at the characterizations of "blasts away."   That shows bias and subject matter ignorance.)   I have killed 9 deer with handguns so far .. one shot each.   

MIB

You are obviously a better hunter than most.   I meant no offense but some hunters I know cannot seem to get deer with scoped rifles.    I doubt they could ever get close enough to get a deer with a handgun.    If they tried they would be the ones I referred to as "blasting away" and hoping to get lucky.  

29 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You are obviously a better hunter than most.   I meant no offense but some hunters I know cannot seem to get deer with scoped rifles.    I doubt they could ever get close enough to get a deer with a handgun.    If they tried they would be the ones I referred to as "blasting away" and hoping to get lucky.  

There are many followers of Elmer Keith.  Handgun hunting was "the thing" in 60s, 70s, and 80s.  It was considered to be the next level of difficulty among those that had already bagged the full list of North American big game with a rifle.  Almost all of the handgun hunters I've known over the years, including myself, used magnum handguns with 8 inch or better barrels or a T/C with a 12 to 14 inch barrel chambered for a rifle cartridge.  Getting inside of 50 yards was the goal.  Anything outside of that was considered unsportsmanlike as the hunter was unlikely to be able to put a bullet in the kill zone of the animal.  Later, the max range was determined by how far away you could put 5 consecutive shots on a paper plate.  For some, it was 20 yards, for others it was 110 yards.  While a handgun is as intrinsically as accurate as a rifle, the short sight radius and considerably higher power drop-off makes handgun hunting extremely challenging and extremely rewarding.  However, given my tired old eyes, I can't even see a whitetail beyond a hundred yards, much less be able to put a bullet in the magic triangle with a handgun. LOL Well, maybe with a scoped T/C in .30-.30.  

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Thank you Belpherion.    Like I mentioned before I am not nor have I ever been a hunter.   Not my thing but I have no problems with those that do.     I did not know about the handgun hunting movement.    But I can see that just the difficulty of getting close enough is the challenge.      Certainly as a believer in the right tool for the right job,   I would hope those that do hunt with any weapon are capable as well has have an adequate round to take down the animal efficiently and as humanely as possible.   

Here's a photo of the PX4 full-size next to a PX4 compact, there's also a photo of the two px4's with an old-school Ruger P85 just to give those that are familiar with the Ruger P series a guideline (in addition to the tape measure).

The full-size is pretty much the same size as the P85 but the P85 is a heavier gun (at least it feels like such to me).

The full-size is a .45 acp, the compact is a .40 s&w, and the old Ruger is a 9mmx19mm (a/k/a Parabellum or Luger)

20190102_115954 (2).jpg

20190102_120507_(1).jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

But I can see that just the difficulty of getting close enough is the challenge.

Conventional handguns have range limits similar to archery.    If a person can hunt a place successfully with a bow, they can do the same with a handgun.

MIB

BFF Patron

Speaking of weapons.    Does anyone follow the Oak Island series on the History Channel.    The show is about the modern hunt for treasure on Oak Island Nova Scotia.     That  hunt began in the 1700s.  Recent finds include a Templar era cross made of lead and they found in the soil on the island a 2 or 3 Century crossbow iron bolt of Roman design.    Talk about historical anachronism!.    Every time you turn around more and more puts the history of North America in question.  

Edited by SWWASAS

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Thank you Belpherion.    Like I mentioned before I am not nor have I ever been a hunter.   Not my thing but I have no problems with those that do.     I did not know about the handgun hunting movement.    But I can see that just the difficulty of getting close enough is the challenge.      Certainly as a believer in the right tool for the right job,   I would hope those that do hunt with any weapon are capable as well has have an adequate round to take down the animal efficiently and as humanely as possible.   

Not a problem SWWASAS.  Not all of those on here are hunters and of those that are, only a rare few got caught up in the handgun hunting culture.  Several of those I knew from the handgun hunting days have moved over to large caliber air rifles.  Craziest thing I've ever seen.  .45 caliber air rifles shooting 180 grain slugs at 1200 fps and taking antelope and whitetail out to 100 yards.  A lot of the pig hunters have been using .357 caliber air rifles and just dropping full sized boar in their tracks at 50 yards.  I tried one out in .357 caliber a few months ago and it was amazing.  I hit steel out to 300 yards, repeatedly.  All I can say is these things aren't your daddy's Daisy.  I don't know as much as I should about these things, but I think it's time I learned.  I have learned that in many places where firearms are prohibited or restricted, an air rifle isn't since it isn't a firearm under BATF rules.    

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

Speaking of weapons.    Does anyone follow the Oak Island series on the History Channel.    The show is about the modern hunt for treasure on Oak Island Nova Scotia.     That  hunt began in the 1700s.  Recent finds include a Templar era cross made of lead and they found in the soil on the island a 2 or 3 Century crossbow iron bolt of Roman design.    Talk about historical anachronism!.    Every time you turn around more and more puts the history of North America in question.  

Yes.  I am an original Oak Island fan having been interested since I read the article about it in my grandparents 1965 readers digest.  I go back and forth on the series.  I was consumed the first few seasons.  I Was completely disgusted a couple seasons ago (the bogus roman long sword was probably the low point)  and am now back to slightly irritated.  The shows are so slow and repetitive I watch them in the background and only pay attention when there is something of interest which is usually about 2-3 minutes per show.  I have come to the conclusion that what was there is now gone, they know it, and are just milking us until view-ship dries up.  I hope I am wrong, but they do so much dumb as presented on the TV that I just dont trust them.  Again, I hope I am wrong.

norseman,

Hot **** those are sweet ! Gotta love the ol' wheel guns. Thought you might have hammer loops with your ridin' the great outdoors. 

Pat...

:drinks:

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
BFF Patron
15 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Yes.  I am an original Oak Island fan having been interested since I read the article about it in my grandparents 1965 readers digest.  I go back and forth on the series.  I was consumed the first few seasons.  I Was completely disgusted a couple seasons ago (the bogus roman long sword was probably the low point)  and am now back to slightly irritated.  The shows are so slow and repetitive I watch them in the background and only pay attention when there is something of interest which is usually about 2-3 minutes per show.  I have come to the conclusion that what was there is now gone, they know it, and are just milking us until view-ship dries up.  I hope I am wrong, but they do so much dumb as presented on the TV that I just dont trust them.  Again, I hope I am wrong.

You could very well be right about the treasure.   I read the readers digest story as a teenager.   I cannot believe that a great treasure was buried then forgotten.    If pirates were involved then someone involved would come back and get it.     All the money they have put into drilling, then knowing nothing,   seems like they should have just started digging and made a huge pit.   Could be the only thing of any value is the archaeological stuff  they find on the island.    All of which will be confiscated and belong to the government.   

10 hours ago, PBeaton said:

norseman,

Hot **** those are sweet ! Gotta love the ol' wheel guns. Thought you might have hammer loops with your ridin' the great outdoors. 

Pat...

:drinks:

I only use those holsters for Cowboy action shooting bud!

I met Bob Munden many years ago. He was amazing! His entire draw, shot, and re-holster were a blur!

Edited by Huntster
  • Thanks 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic