45 acp vs 10mm

norseman

BFF Patron

Had no idea there was 10MM bias.      Things are so bad in Oregon and Washington if you feel threatened and even display a weapon they prosecute you.    There was a recent case during the riots in Portland where the DA filed charges against a photographer that drew a weapon when he was threatened by thugs with clubs.   I guess you are supposed to let yourself get beaten some before you produce a weapon.    Good reason to stay out of larger cities in the West that are anti gun.   

Admin

Wow,, that dude can shoot!

I wouldn't use a 10mm for concealed carry on the street, so the bias doesn't bother me. It shouldn't be an issue in the woods.

I'm gonna get one, I think.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about it.

And I think the test showed that heavy hard cast loads of 45 acp penetrate just as well. The differences between the two are marginal at best.

And 45 acp is by far and away the more supported cartridge.

I like the spare rib/watermelon/leather jacket test the best. Im gonna try it.

Admin

It's the reliability of my 1911 that is prompting me to look for an alternative. It's very sensitive to temperature...

40 minutes ago, gigantor said:

It's the reliability of my 1911 that is prompting me to look for an alternative. It's very sensitive to temperature...

What make of 1911 is it?

Admin

Remington...  it jams based on how much lubricating you do. If its hot, it likes a little bit, but it'll jam when cold. If you add more lubricant, it works cold, but it'll jam when its hot.

I just don't trust it anymore.

I have a springfield armory. Its bullet proof. But it does not have a light rail. I want a light rail.

• 3 months later...

Im thinking about the 460 rowland conversion for my 1911 and you can get a handle with light rail attached.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/460-rowland-conversion-kit-for-1911/

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/recover-tactical-launches-cc3-1911-grip-and-rail-adaptor/#axzz5R32MlBAl

I like wheel guns. But find one with a light rail in a acceptable griz country cartridge. The rowland claims 44 mag power which I call horse pucky. But its significantly higher than 45 acp.

Im getting older.... Im gonna need bifocals soon. Searching for a mag lite in one hand and a gun in the other with something trying to get into the tent isnt my idea of a good time. I want it as one unit.

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

Consider a Glock 40 MOS which is a long-slide version of the Glock 20 (10mm).  It accommodates a Burris Fast Finder III red dot which I recommend. Very little recoil. I encourage a look at it versus the Glock 20 for a few reasons. You'll get an ever-so-slightly-faster round with the extra length, the long-slide tamps down the recoil, and you can get  back on target much faster with the red dot.

Cost nor availability matters when you reload.  If you don't, then the 45ACP might be a consideration. Hard-cast, flat-nose ammo is available for both calibers.

Glock 40 MOS (10mm).jpg

Norse,

You may want to take a look at the Magnum Research Desert Eagle. Their original pistols were way too heavy (over 4 lbs) but in 2017 they introduced a lighter version, the L5, designed to meet the specs of a few Blue states. It now comes in 44 magnum and .50 AE, can accommodate a light, laser, or red dot and weighs less than 50z.

The red dot would solve the problem of bifocals and the bottom rail would enable you to put a light. Your cake and eat it too.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/copy-of-desert-eagle-357-magnum-black-l5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=0KimTtVY3X8

If I were looking for a backcountry handgun, I'd consider both of these. Lightweight for their respective calibers, the magazine can hold eight 44 magnum or seven .50 AE, and you'd have a top and bottom rail for accessories. Pretty impressive.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, norseman said:

........Searching for a mag lite in one hand and a gun in the other with something trying to get into the tent isnt my idea of a good time. I want it as one unit........

That was just one of the reasons why I adopted the Glock 20 as my wilderness sidearm, even though it’s a significant reason. The polymer frame features a built in rail for a light or laser attachment. A $125 Streamlight attaches in seconds, or can be removed and attached to my Remington 870, 450 Marlin, or 16” Marlin 336 in seconds. 

The other reasons are:

* A Glock 20 is a bargain. I bought mine new for $550. Add a light, tritium sights, comfortable IWB holster, cheap chest/bandolier holster, and four more magazines, and I was still under $1000.

* The 10mm cartridge packs energy beyond that of the 357 mag, and nearly that of the 41 mag

* The weapon is loaded with 16 rounds, and a quick magazine change provides 15 more

* It’s significantly lighter than my S&W 629, even loaded with so many rounds, and it’s less bulky, too

* It has a smooth DAO trigger that is easy to shoot well

* Ammo selection is excellent, from anti-personnel Hornady Critical Defense to hard cast from Buffalo Bore and Underwood to FMJ ball

* I carry an Underwood FMJ ball round in the pipe, and a quick magazine change specializes the next 15 rounds from anti-personnel to anti-bear/moose

* And perhaps most important, it is easy and cheap to install top quality tritium sights

• Upvote 2

I went with the G20 for the reasons Hunter mentioned above. I switched over from a Springfield loaded 1911 .45 acp a couple years ago.  It seems to carry better, and 25 rnds of .45 (w/8rnd mags +1) vs 46 rnds of 10mm, the 10mm gives me a better warm and fuzzy if it is all I have.

I have a laser/light combo attached and a 6” barrel is a drop in option. It sticks out from the slide obviously, but does provide a bit more velocity. I doubt I will go back to a 1911...ever, and I held off on Glocks for over a decade because they did not feel as comfortable to shoot and they are, well, fugly.  After a lot of range time with a G22, I was just as accurate for me as the 1911, so I went with a G20 I found used for $450. I sold the Springfield for $700 I have not looked back. 

In in the end, while 45 can get close to 10mm (if not match it), the 10 is a tool that is flexible and effective, and I don’t care if it gets scraped across a rock, rained on, etc. it still looks fugly.  Lol. 

Edited by Caenus

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Consider a Glock 40 MOS which is a long-slide version of the Glock 20 (10mm).  It accommodates a Burris Fast Finder III red dot which I recommend. Very little recoil. I encourage a look at it versus the Glock 20 for a few reasons. You'll get an ever-so-slightly-faster round with the extra length, the long-slide tamps down the recoil, and you can get  back on target much faster with the red dot.

Cost nor availability matters when you reload.  If you don't, then the 45ACP might be a consideration. Hard-cast, flat-nose ammo is available for both calibers.

Glock 40 MOS (10mm).jpg

Norse,

You may want to take a look at the Magnum Research Desert Eagle. Their original pistols were way too heavy (over 4 lbs) but in 2017 they introduced a lighter version, the L5, designed to meet the specs of a few Blue states. It now comes in 44 magnum and .50 AE, can accommodate a light, laser, or red dot and weighs less than 50z.

The red dot would solve the problem of bifocals and the bottom rail would enable you to put a light. Your cake and eat it too.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/copy-of-desert-eagle-357-magnum-black-l5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=0KimTtVY3X8

If I were looking for a backcountry handgun, I'd consider both of these. Lightweight for their respective calibers, the magazine can hold eight 44 magnum or seven .50 AE, and you'd have a top and bottom rail for accessories. Pretty impressive.

I owned a DE .50 AE back in the day. The gun itself was a cool design. It fit my hand fine. And the recoil was fine. But as you say the weight was ridiculous and it was extremely big and bulky. And on top of all that? A 7 round mag is not much improvement over a wheel gun. And lastly the price of over 1800 bucks!!?? No thank you.

Not a huge fan of Glocks. But you cannot beat how light they are and the price. But per Paul’s penetration test between 10mm vs .45, I really dont think your gaining much.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic